Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:02 AM

459 posts, read 373,282 times

Advertisements

Let the hate flow through you Urbancharlotte/Charlotte485.

Damn, that whole Amazon thing really ticked him off. Like good chocolate sprinkle some salt on top for maximum enjoyment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 09:17 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Agreed, but I suspect that these threads were NOT created by a real person interested in relocating to Charlotte or South End. I work out at the Dowd YMCA regularly. I know what RESIDENTS of South End think about their area. They walk and bike ride all the time. These threads were created with a stupid Charlotte vs Raleigh (which is more urban so us Raleighites can feel superior to Charlotte) agenda and we already have a historic-structure-biased Charlottean who fell for the trap. Charlotte is not historic, so get over it. Neither is NYC to the visitor from Rome or Paris. It's all perspective.

With that said (and I visit Raleigh frequently due to work) Uptown/South End (while still a work-in-progress) trumps all of downtown Raleigh most days of the year. DT Raleigh just opened a YMCA for example. Heck, there are 3 YMCAs in South End/uptown (and the Dowd YMCA is open until midnight Monday-Thursday) along with quite a few other gyms and athletic clubs.

Uptown/South End
Movies, bowling, sporting events, festivals, DNC convention, NRA convention, Harris Teeter, Whole Foods (coming soon), Publix (South End), the NBA All Star Game (2019), streetcar expansion, light rail expansion, 40 towers above 250ft tall (more on the way), hotels (more on the way), restaurants serving exotic foods (Kangaroo Loin anyone?), two performing arts centers, dance clubs, etc...

Why on Earth are we comparing central Charlotte to a downtown that can't even compete with downtown Greenville SC? YES folks, downtown Greenville can hold its own to central Charlotte better than dt Raleigh. No joke...

Your posts are becoming desperate at best. This was a very informative thread until you feel the need to slam another city, because of preference.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:35 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Like I said, this thread was created with an agenda. All you have to do is say the right combination of catch phrases, and the true minds behind this thread will show themselves. I can shake a troll tree with the best of them.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Like I said, this thread was created with an agenda. All you have to do is say the right combination of catch phrases, and the true minds behind this thread will show themselves. I can shake a troll tree with the best of them.
Yeah... I'm behind this thread. Juvenile are we?
Charlotte is nice for a midsize city, but promoting it as if it's Seattle and chasing Raleigh posts is lame. Sorry. Charlotte is much cooler than the brochure image you keep displaying to folks pal.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:35 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
Respectfully, I disagree with you about the OP; they have been posting for quite some time. I am interested in the comparison between Cities, or would you prefer another "we're relocating to Charlotte and need advice" thread?

That aside, I did find your Raleigh vs Greenville comments interesting. It's been several years since I was last in downtown Greenville, and I was excited about the growth taking place. Since my last visit, they have (apparently) put up several apartment buildings, which should add to the downtown district. Lots of great ideas swirling around downtown Greenville.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
So I was the one behind Obama choosing to host his DNC here? And I was the one who made Michelle Obama state the following?

http://m.nydailynews.com/blogs/dc/mi...ntry-1.1662113

And I guess I was behind these videos from random visitors too...

And I will let you in on a little secret. I called the Today Show and told them to come check out Carowinds. My bad...

All jokes aside. In reality, the biggest promoter of Charlotte are the genuine word-of-mouth opinions from our visitors. If I left city-data alone for good, the word-of-mouth activity would still continue. I suspect it will increase with the new developments around the city. The entire town is a construction zone right now.

Also keep in mind that human beings are more attracted to new experiences. This is why some of our long time residents can point out each and every flaw Charlotte has (and guys like YOU take those flaws and run with it.)I would certainly never compare Charlotte to places like Seattle, Baltimore, DC and the likes. However, I've heard many visitors to Charlotte make those comparisons either while walking uptown or riding the light rail.

I'm fully aware of what Charlotte is and what it is not. I hang around central Charlotte more so than any where else in town (as my user name would suggest). Charlotte is Charlotte. Raleigh is Raleigh. The two should not be compared. End of story...

Seek therapy. Derailing this thread for the sake of opinion is irrational and rude.

Yeah, another metro isn't comparable when both are around the same size. Get real. I heard puberty is calling.

Last edited by metro.m; 01-22-2018 at 11:08 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 11:05 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,646 times
Please. Stop. Highjacking. Legitimate. Threads. For. Bickering.

Ive always wanted to do that ��

Whether you think the Uptown vs. Downtown is comparable or not, the neighborhood comparison is very interesting. I would say by Spring and certainly by 2020 the Warehouse District will be more of what the OP is looking for as it already one of Raleighs rising gems. I havent spent near as much time in South End or NoDa but they sound great too.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:16 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,696,924 times
To address the OP's question about a center in SouthEnd: It is still coming together. Here is what is finishing up in the next 2 years.

The center of SouthEnd will start to focus on Camden Street, stretching from the north to the south. Camden is preferable for a pedestrian district as it is less car focused. South Blvd is never going to be able to be very pedestrian focused - it is a state owned route and there is simply too much traffic as a major thoroughfare.

At the north end of Camden, at 1414 Tryon St, the Rail Yard is under construction. This development has a central gathering place / plaza that will be open to the public. Right across the street from this development you have popular bars and restaurants like Tavern on the Tracks, Hot Taco, All American Pub, Oak Room, Slate Charlotte, The Gin Mill, etc... The Bland St Light Rail station will serve this cluster. Wooden Robot will be just next to the Rail Yard.
https://beacondevelopment.com/proper...3/the-railyard

Then as you move just .1 miles south you have the Dimensional Place development which will have ground floor retail leading you down Camden Road. The Charlotte Art League, Trolley Museum, Elder Gallery of Contemporary Art, etc... will remain across the street from Dimensional Place on Camden. Futo Buta and Crispy Crepe are just across the light rail and rail trail by walking through the Bland Station stop.
https://www.mpvre.com/properties/dimensional-place/

As you cross Park Ave to the south, the light rail flanks the Eastern side of Camden. On the west you have Price's Chicken Coop, fidelli kitchen, Clean Juice, 704 Shop (clothing/lifestyle), and Leroy Fox South End (restaurant).

The next stretch clusters around East/West Station includes Central Coffee Co, Blaza Pizza, Pop the Top Craft Beer Shop, Blue Hem (clothing), and The Ultra Running Company (clothing). You also have some services like Rite Aid, The UPS Stroe, hair salons, etc...

Just south of the station is the Design Center, which is undergoing a transformation to become more pedestrian friendly. New tenants includes Superica (Tex-Mex) and Barcelona Wine Bar.
https://www.charlotteagenda.com/8006...ransformation/

Then finally capping out the southern end of Camden will be the massive new Atherton Mill redevelopment. Tenants already include Anthropologie, Free People, and Alton Lane as clothing tenants, O-Ku, Living Kitchen, and Big Ben for restaurants, and a variety of hair salons, nail salons, and art studios. The new portion of the development though will add 115,000 square feet of total retail space and bring the farmer's market back up and in operation (currently moved to a temp site during construction).
Edens, Crescent developing Atherton Mill apartments in Charlotte | Charlotte Observer

All of these construction projects will really transform the area and re-connect everything. It is just going to take some time to finish up. Once complete it will be a .7 mile long corridor of un-interrupted retail book ended by a gathering space at either end. This corridor will by no means be all there is to South End, it will just work as a nucleus around the light rail with gathering places on either end to start walking around. Luckily Camden is low traffic, has wide sidewalks, and is NOT South Blvd, so it will be much safer as a pedestrian strolling area.

If you've had enough time to explore South End, just hop on the light rail train and you can be in Uptown (performing arts, movie theater, bars, clubs, NFL, NBA, Minor League Baseball, etc..), head over to 7th Street Market, head up to Belmont and their breweries and soon new Food Hall (http://belmontcharlotte.org/news/new...g-to-the-hood/), or head up to Noda all without getting in the car. Eventually Pappas Properties will finish South Village at Scaleybark Station, which will be right on the light rail and near one of Charlotte's main brewery clusters. This will be just south of SouthEnd. http://www.pappasproperties.com/pdf/SouthVillagePkg.pdf

Last edited by CLT4; 01-22-2018 at 11:34 AM..

Old 01-22-2018, 11:27 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
I havent spent near as much time in South End or NoDa but they sound great too.
Here are a few South End videos so you can at least have some sort of visual. The first video is a bit dated (2012) while the second video is from 2016.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:19 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,646 times
Quote:
Here are a few South End videos so you can at least have some sort of visual. The first video is a bit dated (2012) while the second video is from 2016.

Yeah like i said it looks great. Ive been through there a few times as i have an aunt and little cousin that live down there but my actual experience is very limited in comparison to spending many a evening in the Warehouse District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte