Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dallas vs. Charlotte to raise a family
Charlotte 36 73.47%
Dallas 13 26.53%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 07:09 AM

110 posts, read 157,748 times

Advertisements

Congratulations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 10:25 AM

149 posts, read 162,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNicole View Post
I have lived in both. In the DFW area you will find nicer communities, better-built homes, more things to do, less crime, less transientness, better school systems. We loved Southlake, Keller, Grapevine area! We now are in Waxhaw until our children graduate from HS.

The downside to Texas is that property taxes are very high...BUT you save on personal income taxes, you do have to "fly" to go anywhere especially in the summer. In Charlotte, you can always drive to the Mountains or the beach which is nice.
I agree. Southlake and Colleyville are among the best towns in America.

I also like the Dallas winters which are generally at least ten degrees warmer than Clt on any given day.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:39 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldbloom View Post
I also like the Dallas winters which are generally at least ten degrees warmer than Clt on any given day.
True for summer, too.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:46 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Happy wife makes for a happy life!

Best of luck!

Old 02-10-2018, 08:56 AM

80 posts, read 96,121 times
Thank you folks! Yes, I'm glad to see my wife smiling everyday now and anxious to move! And I am looking forward to growing my career to exponentially new heights!

Old 02-10-2018, 05:07 PM

139 posts, read 210,990 times
Listen to me. I just moved from Dallas to Greenville. I ahe a 6 year old daughter who currently goes to FBA Dallas. The move to South Carolina is the best career move and best moce for my family. Dallas is great if you are single
But the quality of family life really does suck.

Charlotte is a better place for families and its not even worth a debate- trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORJK81 View Post
Hello fine folks of Charlotte!

I may be receiving an offer soon in charlotte and have already received one from Dallas. I'm in my mid 30's and have a pregnant wife and a 3 year old. My wife prefers the bigger city and I prefer charlotte. The job in charlotte is more secure and laid back (similar to a govt job). The job in Dallas more face paced with higher pay but probably mor stress. To me money is not a huge factor. Education, safety, and kids things to do are the biggest factors but I welcome any other factors you can throw in. Looking for a suburban area with a house in $400K.

I sat down with my wife and did our own criticality matrix and threw in over 10 weighted variables and scored both Dallas and Charlotte. Charlotte came in first for both my wife and I but my wife still prefers Dallas due to the things to do factor. Since I value her opinion, I wanted to give it a second try by asking you fine folks.

I would like to ask those who traveled extensively or live/lived in both Charlotte AND Dallas to put your two cents in and make a selection on you poll.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2018, 11:20 AM

Bad move if you chose Dallas. I tried...

Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM

776 posts, read 1,062,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDavisCSA View Post
Bad move if you chose Dallas. I tried...
To each their own. I do agree that Greenville is a nice place but that is not his option. That is too far to commute to Charlotte. And I completely Disagree that the quality of life sucks in Dallas. Most people would say just the opposite. I am saying this as someone who lived in Charlotte for over 6 years and in DFW for Over 3.5 years. I even moved between the two places a couple times. I love both places and am not here to knock either, but I think DFW wins out in regards to what the OP is looking for. There are literally hundreds of great neighborhoods in the DFW metro that have outstanding community involvement, are safe, have good schools, easy commutes, and a plethora of entertainment and activities. If it didnt work out for one person, that does not mean it is a bad place and wont work out for others. It just means it wasnt what that person wanted. Our boys were younger and in elem and middles school and we loved raising them in Texas.

So congrats OP on the job. I know you decided on DFW and I think it is a great choice. Charlotte is wonderful but may have not been the right location based on your wants/needs.

Old 02-11-2018, 07:04 PM

Ha. We all tried to warn your padnah. The people picked Charlotte even in the poll in the Dallas site, LOL

Good luck with commute and may all of the pretentiousness, awful sports scene, lame entertainment options be a welcome trait to the family. Oh and enjoy that drive to the beach and mountains too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
To each their own. I do agree that Greenville is a nice place but that is not his option. That is too far to commute to Charlotte. And I completely Disagree that the quality of life sucks in Dallas. Most people would say just the opposite. I am saying this as someone who lived in Charlotte for over 6 years and in DFW for Over 3.5 years. I even moved between the two places a couple times. I love both places and am not here to knock either, but I think DFW wins out in regards to what the OP is looking for. There are literally hundreds of great neighborhoods in the DFW metro that have outstanding community involvement, are safe, have good schools, easy commutes, and a plethora of entertainment and activities. If it didnt work out for one person, that does not mean it is a bad place and wont work out for others. It just means it wasnt what that person wanted. Our boys were younger and in elem and middles school and we loved raising them in Texas.

So congrats OP on the job. I know you decided on DFW and I think it is a great choice. Charlotte is wonderful but may have not been the right location based on your wants/needs.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:36 PM

80 posts, read 96,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDavisCSA View Post
Ha. We all tried to warn your padnah. The people picked Charlotte even in the poll in the Dallas site, LOL

Good luck with commute and may all of the pretentiousness, awful sports scene, lame entertainment options be a welcome trait to the family. Oh and enjoy that drive to the beach and mountains too.
The world doesn't revolve around you and out of all the people who responded it seems you've had by far the worst experience which is a pretty good indication that perhaps it's you and not the entire DFW area. There's a reason why over 7 million people live there and you act like because only one person (you) had an extremely horrible experience, everyone else will have the same one. Maybe you need to look in the mirror and re-evaluate how you look at the world and stop being hard on yourself for not fitting in or blaming the entire city with several million people for having bad experiences. It's a shame that you use heuristics rather than facts (job growth, education, economy, amount of people moving in,etc.) to make a judgement and try to force it upon others.

I look forward to what DFW has to offer me, but also what I can offer to DFW, and along the way, I hope I don't run into too many pessimistic people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte