U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 08:39 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,059,820 times

Advertisements

Just as a follow up, I decided not to turn them in. The people for some reason aerated and seeded this week (Why this week, I don't know!) and must have felt that it would all be wasted without watering. My lawn has done well with all of the rain that we have had in the last few weeks and looks nice.

Maybe I'm part of the problem for not reporting my neighbors...I just can't believe that we, as seemingly responsible adults can't obey the rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 08:57 AM

51 posts, read 126,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It is ratting and it is not mine or your business to report some poor sap who is trying to protect his investement whether it is his car or lawn.
I, too, support the notion of maximizing self-interest to the detriment of the world at large. Lawn watering rules, insider-trading laws, labor laws, environmental protection, whatever.

As for the bible and proscriptions against 'ratting' (I'll be looking for that sermon), I think there's an entire sub-culture that thrills in this holy validation. I think they print t-shirts that preach this message (something about 'snitching').

Old 03-23-2008, 11:38 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,651,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
The people for some reason aerated and seeded this week (Why this week, I don't know!)
Well, like most individuals they don't have the luxury of doing it anytime....it takes time to aerate and seed properly.

Seed will germinate eventually even if we don't get any rain at all this week.

Builders do it all the time...you just need a good day or two of good soaking rains to get them going....

More important is getting them to germinate either in the fall or early in the spring season...

Old 03-23-2008, 11:48 AM

716 posts, read 1,908,026 times
It's just more of the fantastic idea that some people have that the rules don't apply to them! I HATE PEOPLE LIKE THAT.

Everyone is under these restrictions. Why is it okay for SOME people to water their lawn, or wash their car or whatever wasteful flight of vanity overtakes them, but not anyone else?

So, HELL YES, I would turn them in, on that principle alone. Jerks.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:55 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,739,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I saw 2 of my neighbors today watering their lawns with a sprinkler around 10:00am.

We're still under water restrictions right? Would you turn them in, or turn your head?
I live in an HOA and I wouldn't turn my neighbors in unless something they did had already been addressed by me personally to them and they kept doing it.

I had new neighbors move in and they had a party to the wee hours of the morning, the way the houses fall, most of the noise was right outside my bedroom window. I had just driven in from Texas and was so exhausted I have no words for it. I went over and said something to them. They were new, had no real understanding that this HOA would fine them and so forth.

I personally would let it slide this time and if it becomes a repeat problem, I would talk to them personally, maybe they are unaware. THEN if they keep ignoring the rules, turn them in. One day it might be you who is not aware of the rules, it would be nice if they gave you a walk on the first time.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:35 PM

10,425 posts, read 44,580,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddler52 View Post
I, too, support the notion of maximizing self-interest to the detriment of the world at large. Lawn watering rules, insider-trading laws, labor laws, environmental protection, whatever.

As for the bible and proscriptions against 'ratting' (I'll be looking for that sermon), I think there's an entire sub-culture that thrills in this holy validation. I think they print t-shirts that preach this message (something about 'snitching').
You are obviously a very very smart man. As for the Bible part, dont look too hard. I never read the book and never will but I do believe there is something of the sort in there telling followers to mind thee own business. Those who do not are hypocrites to a book that tells them how to live their life.

To the OP........good for you too. You did the right thing to close your curtians and look the other way. Us ever disappearing lovers of freedom thank you.

Old 03-23-2008, 12:52 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,276,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I think that the restrictions are being kept in place because they know that the population has exceeded the water supply.
If that's the case then Charlotte will be experiencing water restrictions for years to come.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:11 PM

386 posts, read 839,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I think that the restrictions are being kept in place because they know that the population has exceeded the water supply.
And if you look at the FAQ's on the Union County Public Works web site, they say as much.

Old 03-23-2008, 02:48 PM

3,356 posts, read 8,868,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
If that's the case then Charlotte will be experiencing water restrictions for years to come.
I think you will find that may well be the case.

Having said that I can water the plants all I like, I just need to get off my backside and do it.

What's Allowed

* Hand-held use of a watering container or hose (with spray nozzle attached) to water trees, shrubs or plant beds (not grass or turf.)

* Use of drip irrigation or soaker hoses to water trees, shrubs or plant beds (not turf.)

Old 03-23-2008, 04:25 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,689,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Turning people in is called "Ratting". Does anyone remember what kids in school do to rats? Does anyone know what happens to a rat in prison? They killem.

While in residential neighborhoods we are all much more civil law abiding people then killing for ratting on us, the fact still remains......it is wrong to rat and it is right to mind our own business. I think the Bible tells you that.

The neighbor your rat on, you may need their help some day.

Let the town find violaters on their own if they feel so strongly about silly little laws for the sole sake of extorting more money (fines) from hard working citizens.

No, Rats are people who put their own selfish desires above the needs of the community at large. Conservation is everybody's business so even if there were (and there's not) anything in the Bible about "minding your own business", it wouldn't apply. We all pay the same rate for water, so why should select ones be allowed to waste it on their cars while others conserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte