Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 02:24 PM

571 posts, read 715,103 times

Advertisements

I just posted the following in the "Why Charlotte Lost" thread about Amazon, but just deleted it because I realized this topic is bigger than just Amazon. It's something I have wondered about for years and I've searched and can't find any threads in this forum devoted to this topic. And I've never seen any Charlotte publication take on this topic. I thought this ought to be a separate thread with a discussion specifically about this road and its impact in the modern economy.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

In this modern world, traveling from city to city often means arriving at an airport. In that sense, the road from the airport into the city is the modern Main Street. And Charlotte's modern main street is called Billy Graham Parkway. I'm not inside the heads of the Amazon folks, but I wonder if that might have had an impact on their decision not to include Charlotte in their final 20. I've seen comments that Amazon's decision had something to do with Charlotte not being big enough to take on 50,000 new jobs. But Raleigh is big enough???

The thing about modern tech companies is that they have very inclusive environments. They have to because their workforce is very diverse, both ethnically and in terms of sexual orientation (although they may still lag on gender equality). As an example, about ten years ago Virginia politicians were pushing some anti-LGBT policies. There is a large high tech presence in Northern Virginia, especially around Tyson's Corner. When that was going on there, many of those companies threatened to withdraw from Virginia or cease expanding. In response Virginia had to change its policy position.

So back to Billy Graham Parkway. I point this out because, to my knowledge, it is highly unusual for a city to name something as significant as a major roadway after an evangelist, and a somewhat divisive one at that (divisive in recent years, at least, and in particular due to the association with his son). From RDU Airport, you get to Raleigh via either Glenwood Avenue or the Dan K. Moore Freeway. Dan K. Moore was a governor, not an evangelist. From Austin's airport, you get to the city via the Bastrop Highway, which is named after a town in Texas. The only places I can think of that name major roads or facilities after religious leaders are places like Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, and Iran -- countries that are not growth centers, unless they are oil rich. And many places around this country have policies against naming roads or buildings after a living person. Even U.S. stamps can't include a famous person's face until ten years after their death (time enough to ensure they live a life that did not cause controversy or division).

A road leading from the airport to the city, if it's got to be named after a person, it should be someone who has tried to be a unifying force for that city. Otherwise, it could be turning off a lot of companies that are part of the modern economy.

To this point, ten years ago I worked with a guy in San Diego. We both went on to other jobs. He ended up with a company that eventually wanted him to transfer to Charlotte. He knew very little about Charlotte. He told me that when he left the airport to go into the city and saw Billy Graham Parkway, it did not give him a good feeling, and that was one of the factors in his decision not to accept the transfer. Companies like Amazon employ many Jews, Muslims, LGBT, agnostics. They all want to feel that they are equal parts of the community they are moving into. If certain names that are celebrated by some, but found to be alienating by others, are elevated to prominence by the leaders in that community, it may make them feel they can never be equal there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 02:41 PM

743 posts, read 825,493 times
I think you're reaching here, theirs probaly a street in every one of Amazon's finalist that somebody might get offended by. What about all the MLK streets etc

Old 02-03-2018, 02:56 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
I’m sure it had nothing to do with Amazon’s decision. When I first moved to Charlotte I didn’t even know who Billy Graham was. Honestly I’m still not terribly familiar with him. Isn’t he pretty well thought of in Asheville as well? They’re a very “inclusive” city. And last I checked, I believe the Billy Graham Library was the #1 tourist attraction in Charlotte according to TripAdvisor, so it doesn’t seem like visitors to Charlotte have an issue with him.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:31 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Pretty much every California city and many cities out west are named after somebody affiliated with a religion.

For example,
San Francisco
San Diego
San Juan Capistrano
Santa Barbara
San Luis Obispo
Los Angeles
Zion, UT
Santa Fe, NM

There are also plaques for Billy Graham on public grounds in cities such as Los Angeles and Tampa.

Billy Graham was a historical figure who met numerous Presidents, foreign leaders, the Queen, celebrities.... etc... when you are that prominent, you'll have critics just like traveling down George W Bush Pkwy or Obama Boulevard.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,017,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Billy Graham was a historical figure...
Um, not dead yet.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:47 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,692,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
Um, not dead yet.
True, I always forget that he's hanging on

Old 02-03-2018, 05:53 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
I know what you are saying. The first time (of 6) that I worked in Charlotte, I was shocked when I came across Billy Graham Parkway. I don't know what I felt about seeing that name, but I knew I felt something.

Then I learned that he was born in Charlotte and I thought, "OK, I guess it makes sense that this major road is named for him." But even though I understand why, it still tickles the back of my brain at least a little that such a prominent road is named for him. I guess that's just the part of me that believes that too many evangelists are con men. Maybe he isn't - but the whole "business" is tainted to me.

I can see why you may think that other secular people might get the "willies" when coming across that road.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:01 PM

107 posts, read 112,145 times
Are you still in touch with your buddy from San Diego? If so, you could explain to him that the problem there was him, not the name of a road.

I don't know Billy Graham and I never met him, but I've personally never heard anyone speak badly of him in any way, and as far as I know the people around Charlotte that would care think highly of him.

I can guarantee you, if you threw out the name of any random senator, governor, or mayor around here, you could find more people who dislike that person than those who dislike Billy Graham.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:47 PM

1,195 posts, read 984,791 times
I always heard of Billy Graham's name but even today I have no idea who he is. An Evangelist? Ok, well that doesn't tell me whether or not he was a good or bad person, so I don't really care.

Actually I lived in NC for years thinking he was a black man. So I go by just the name, which I think is a cool name. I always liked the name Billy, and Graham sounds like a Graham cracker.

The road is clean, so I'm left with a clean impression, it's a convenient road into Charlotte or the airport.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:02 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
In this modern world, traveling from city to city often means arriving at an airport. In that sense, the road from the airport into the city is the modern Main Street. And Charlotte's modern main street is called Billy Graham Parkway. I'm not inside the heads of the Amazon folks, but I wonder if that might have had an impact on their decision not to include Charlotte in their final 20. I've seen comments that Amazon's decision had something to do with Charlotte not being big enough to take on 50,000 new jobs. But Raleigh is big enough???
Your posts are always thoughtful, insightful, and rich in context, and the above argument follows that pattern.

In addition, within my family are people who identify with the LGBT community, and I am mindful of their concerns.

But here's a counterpoint:

I sometimes mention that I am from the NYC metro area, and I often add this context when I defend our area against baseless accusations. In other words, there are societal sins that are not the exclusive domain of the South; dare I say that there are pockets of racism, etc., in large degrees, in certain circles, in the North.

I moved to this area, from the Northeast, largely because of the way people comport themselves in the South. I am not stuffy, nor do I see myself above anyone else; I simply got tired of rude, ugly, behavior; a pace that is sometimes too harried, etc.

And while this region is not perfect, there's something to be said about Southern hospitality

Since I have moved to Charlotte, society has whittled away at the identity of the South. The unintended consequence of migrating away from traditional Southern customs, is that pockets of this area are starting to resemble the area whence I came.

For that reason - and (largely) for that reason alone - I have become a champion of this area's traditions and customs. A street name is just a street name, but little changes, over time, have a cumulative effect.

If I had wanted to remain in my native home of Nassau County, I would've stayed there . If companies don't like Charlotte because of her environment, they don't have to come here. Like I said, most people, regardless of where they're located, share the same patterns of human behavior and societal sins. It's just that some areas, companies, and persons, are better than others in hiding their hypocrisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte