U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 06:42 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,366,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
They sell alcohol in SC too.
And they have homeless people. With guns:

Fatal shooting worries Rock Hill SC residents | The Herald
One shot in leg near Rock Hill SC homeless shelter, police say | The Herald
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 07:15 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
I understand the OPís frustration but drunks are everywhere.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:13 AM

537 posts, read 547,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Relatively speaking I donít believe there are too many gated communities in the Charlotte area. I donít know where you live but the fact that you already live in one leads me to believe that you probably already live in a pretty safe neighborhood.
There are gated apartment communities on/around WTHarris in the university area.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:29 AM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Relatively speaking I donít believe there are too many gated communities in the Charlotte area. I donít know where you live but the fact that you already live in one leads me to believe that you probably already live in a pretty safe neighborhood.
there are gated communities all over Charlotte.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:04 PM

69 posts, read 32,341 times
Maybe your taillight was out? Something unexpected startling you is not necessarily an assault. If so, a scary movie would be a crime.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:14 PM
NDL

3,128 posts, read 3,610,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelisSilvestris View Post
Maybe your taillight was out? Something unexpected startling you is not necessarily an assault. If so, a scary movie would be a crime.
The OP goes to the gym and drives a truck for a living. I think it'd take a lot to scare him.

The two notable elements in his post revolved around a security gate, and CMPD's response.

Getting ambushed and feeling trapped can be unsettling.

It was also poor sense to let a drunk guy roam around, after someone had called CMPD and complained about his drunken, belligerent, behavior.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:39 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
there are gated communities all over Charlotte.
Apartments/condos maybe but I've definitely noticed less here in terms of single-family homes compared to other cities IMO.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:48 PM

194 posts, read 105,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'm not about to get into a debate about the situation.
Then why did you post something so indignant?

Old 02-08-2018, 03:40 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,993,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
The OP goes to the gym and drives a truck for a living. I think it'd take a lot to scare him.
The OP also is a Queens NY native who grew up in Double Oaks and Southside homes here in Charlotte. I've also lived in an apartment near Hidden Valley back in the 1990s. I know an aggressive charge towards my car when I see one. I know what a real threat is when I see it.

I think some people are giving me a hard time because they wish to defend the officers' decision not to arrest this person. In their mind "no arrest = paranoid OP". Also, it is standard procedure to shut up any and all OPs who start negative threads about Charlotte. When all attempts at debunking the OPs claims fail; that's when the lampooning, ridicule, and buffoonery begins. It is what it is.

In reality, this man will most likely get shot by someone if his actions continue; a tragedy that his arrest might have avoided. In my honest opinion, CMPD failed HIM much more than they failed our community. That guy could easily become the next Chilly Willy or the next homeless man who passed out on a set of busy rail road tracks. Even if CMPD thought my story was complete bull, he should NOT have been allowed to continue wandering in his mental state. CMPD simply doesn't care...

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 02-08-2018 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 08:32 PM
NDL

3,128 posts, read 3,610,899 times
Quote:
Also, it is standard procedure to shut up any and all OPs who start negative threads about Charlotte.
Agreed.

Quote:
In reality, this man will most likely get shot by someone if his actions continue; a tragedy that his arrest might have avoided. In my honest opinion, CMPD failed HIM much more than they failed our community. That guy could easily become the next Chilly Willy or the next homeless man who passed out on a set of busy rail road tracks. Even if CMPD thought my story was complete bull, he should NOT have been allowed to continue wandering in his mental state. CMPD simply doesn't care...
I appreciate the concern you had for this guy. As to CMPD caring or not, I don't agree with the way this was handled; a call went out because of this guy's behavior (you said the guy was very inebriated and that CMPD responded promptly, so the officers had likely interviewed the guy while he was still drunk. The fact that a drunk guy was hanging around where you reported, in itself partially confirmed your story). The guy already had someone call on him. Why leave him in the area, to cause more mischief? It wasn't the best strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or