U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 513 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are soon moving to Charlotte from NY. I have to commute to Davidson for work and my husband will commute to fort mill or Monroe. We are looking for options to buy a house with respect to the following priorities: Best schools, commute to work for both of us, safe town, accessible to trader joes, whole foods, and kids activities like swim, karate, music, dance etc everything within 10mins driving distance.
Need suggestions. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 10:52 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Sorry, but I don't envy you. You're both going to have terrible commutes. The drive from Davidson to Monroe or Ft. Mill is an hour and a half at rush hour, so you're each going to have a 45 minute commute, at least.

Given you list of wants, I'd look in south Charlotte, from the Southpark Mall area down towards Carmel. The 28226 zip code, and areas immediately adjacent to it.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 AM

661 posts, read 524,363 times
Fort Mill/Monroe are fairly far apart and would change your target areas. When would he know which location he'll be in? If he'll be going back and forth, then I agree South Charlotte would be a better target point.

When you say you want access to kids' activities...is that during the week? If so, you'll have to choose to settle near one area or the other so someone is left with a short commute, while the other would be left with a 60-90 minute commute...if you're the one with two jobs (like my wife)...then I'd recommend looking up closer to Huntersville area...and your husband would just have to deal with the longer commute...from Huntersville, Fort Mill is closer but more stop and go...Monroe is 40 miles but less traffic.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 AM

520 posts, read 301,707 times
what's your budget?

The problem is that your jobs are in opposites ends of Charlotte area, both or at least one will have terrible commute time.
Since you have kids, I'd opt for closer commute for the one with job more flexible due to kids activities.

Best would probably be to choose a rental place for the one with the best job (at least you are not committed in a purchase) and the other one to look for a job in the same area.
That gives you time to have a better handle on where you'd like to live.

Old 02-07-2018, 11:30 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,010,621 times
Will he be splitting time between the Fort Mill office and Monroe office or does he just not know which one yet?

This is a rough situation for commuting. Fort Mill and Monroe are at opposite ends of the metro area from Davidson and there are no public transit options. A lot of the amenities you want exist either in South Charlotte (28226, 28227, 28211, etc...) or up by Cornelius/ Davidson. The problem is neither are in the middle of the two commutes and one person would be at over an hour commute time. Is that ok with you?

Huntersville might be a good option if you can get to 485 without getting on I-77 for the commute to Fort Mill.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:38 PM

378 posts, read 226,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
Best would probably be to choose a rental place for the one with the best job (at least you are not committed in a purchase) and the other one to look for a job in the same area. That gives you time to have a better handle on where you'd like to live.
28079's rent first, buy later suggestion is the right strategy. After relocation, 2 decent work roles in NY now may change dramatically (good or not so), realities of both parents being 45 minutes away from a sick/injured child may not so great, etc.

Depending on where couponmom11 lives and works in NY now, 45 minute commutes may or may not be too harsh. I-77's awful, but the Myers Park high school area may be a possibility for a while. Without a targeted budget range, it's challenging for anyone to provide good insights or suggestions.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:00 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,429,752 times
I've been a regular here a long time and don't remember a worse scenario for 2 jobs... wow.

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to move very close to one job and endure one long commute. Depending where you live in NY upstate downstate, it could easily be comparable time wise.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:23 PM

5,882 posts, read 7,737,086 times
If being near both Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods is important, I believe your only option is South Charlotte between Myers Park and Ballantyne. Myers Park might be your best bet but you’re still looking at a 35-40+ minute commute to all 3 of the locations mentioned. It will also require a large budget for the metro - hopefully you sold your house in NY!

Old 02-07-2018, 08:24 PM

21,966 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I've been a regular here a long time and don't remember a worse scenario for 2 jobs... wow.

Honestly, I'd be more inclined to move very close to one job and endure one long commute. Depending where you live in NY upstate downstate, it could easily be comparable time wise.
You missed the woman with a job in Greenville, SC whose husband had gotten a job in Uptown, who was looking for advice of where to buy in south Charlotte.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:35 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,429,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You missed the woman with a job in Greenville, SC whose husband had gotten a job in Uptown, who was looking for advice of where to buy in south Charlotte.
aw - I'm not around as much sb. =(
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or