U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2019, 12:56 AM
 
29,520 posts, read 26,987,386 times
Reputation: 18084

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I think economic segregation is easier to do in NC because of the larger suburban area.
But school districts in NC are county-based, not suburban- or urban- or rural-based. Since school districts in SC aren't county-based and serve smaller geographic areas, you get more school districts that are more or less socioeconomically homogeneous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2019, 07:32 AM
 
1,448 posts, read 981,984 times
Reputation: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Only because I’m tired of SB talking about school rankings more than anyone on here..Fort Mill, SC currently has 2 high schools both of which are Silver Medal schools and are ranked higher NATIONALLY than most of Charlotte’s ~30 high schools. Only 4 in Charlotte are ranked higher.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...north-carolina
Here is the full metro area's Gold and Silver award winners. All Gold recipients are on the North Carolina side. Fort Mill's two high schools both rank well as Silver Medalists. Not being in a county-wide school district that also has lower performing schools is why some feel "safe" picking a Fort Mill school. In Huntersville for example, some neighborhoods are being moved from Hough High (a Silver Medalist) to Hopewell High (unranked). In Fort Mill, if you get a boundary change, your only option is one of the two Fort Mill schools and you can't have your kids sent to a school in Rock Hill that is unranked.

- Lake Norman Charter (Charter, Huntersville), #7 in NC, #163 Nationwide. GOLD Award
- Marvin Ridge High (UCPS, Waxhaw), #14 in NC, #369 Nationwide. GOLD Award
- Ardrey Kell High (CMS, Charlotte), #15 in NC, #389 Nationwide. GOLD Award
- Providence High (CMS, Charlotte), #16 in NC, #436 Nationwide. GOLD Award
- Community School of Davidson (Charter, Davidson), #17 in NC, #481 Nationwide. GOLD Award
- Weddington High (UCPS, Weddington), #18 in NC, #512 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- South Mecklenburg High (CMS, Charlotte), #21 in NC, #802 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Cuthbertson High (UCPS, Waxhaw), #22 in NC, #813 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Central Academy of Tech and Arts (UCPS, Monroe), #24 in NC, #875 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- William Amos Hough High (CMS, Cornelius), #26 in NC, #925 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Gaston College Prep (Charter, Gastonia), #29 in NC, #1150 Nationwide. SIVLER Award
- MG Davis Military Academy (CMS, Charlotte), #30 in NC, #1187 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Nation Ford High (York 04, Fort Mill), #8 in SC, #1238 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Northwest Schools of the Arts (CMS, Charlotte), #32 in NC, #1253 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Fort Mill High (York 04, Fort Mill), #9 in NC, #1288 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Highland School of Tech (GCS, Gastonia), #35 in NC, #1537 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Lincoln Charter (Charter, Lincoln) #37 in NC, #1798 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Phillip O. Berry Academy of Tech (CMS, Charlotte), #43 in NC, #2058 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Independence High (CMS, Charlotte), #45 in NC, #2106 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- York Prep (Rock Hill), #22 in SC, #2338 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- East Mecklenburg High (CMS, Charlotte), #47 in NC, #2400 Nationwide. SILVER Award

Last edited by CLT4; 03-07-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Tega Cay, SC
537 posts, read 544,593 times
Reputation: 894
I have no need for a list of every school in every county within 30 miles of Charlotte. I gave a comparison between Fort Mill and Charlotte schools only. Congrats to the schools that got a Gold rating. Most in Charlotte didn’t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 07:49 AM
 
1,448 posts, read 981,984 times
Reputation: 1663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
I have no need for a list of every school in every county within 30 miles of Charlotte. I gave a comparison between Fort Mill and Charlotte schools only. Congrats to the schools that got a Gold rating. Most in Charlotte didn’t.
I should have replied to KayAnn246, who was looking for the best schools in the "AREA," which includes the entire metro. Her comparison was area vs Fort Mill, while you were comparing schools directly in Charlotte city limits to schools in Fort Mill. Two separate comparisons with some overlap. I'm just trying to provide relevant information to KayAnn so she can pick the right location for her family (which may be Fort Mill). Not having a re-districting threat due to the structure of SC schools is a major incentive for many picking York 04.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 08:21 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,792 posts, read 27,049,080 times
Reputation: 8884
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Here is the full metro area's Gold and Silver award winners. All Gold recipients are on the North Carolina side. Fort Mill's two high schools both rank well as Silver Medalists. Not being in a county-wide school district that also has lower performing schools is why some feel "safe" picking a Fort Mill school. In Huntersville for example, some neighborhoods are being moved from Hough High (a Silver Medalist) to Hopewell High (unranked). In Fort Mill, if you get a boundary change, your only option is one of the two Fort Mill schools and you can't have your kids sent to a school in Rock Hill that is unranked.

- Lake Norman Charter (Charter, Huntersville), #7 in NC, #163 Nationwide. GOLD Award
- Marvin Ridge High (UCPS, Waxhaw), #14 in NC, #369 Nationwide. GOLD Award
- Ardrey Kell High (CMS, Charlotte), #15 in NC, #389 Nationwide. GOLD Award
- Providence High (CMS, Charlotte), #16 in NC, #436 Nationwide. GOLD Award
- Community School of Davidson (Charter, Davidson), #17 in NC, #481 Nationwide. GOLD Award
- Weddington High (UCPS, Weddington), #18 in NC, #512 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- South Mecklenburg High (CMS, Charlotte), #21 in NC, #802 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Cuthbertson High (UCPS, Waxhaw), #22 in NC, #813 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Central Academy of Tech and Arts (UCPS, Monroe), #24 in NC, #875 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- William Amos Hough High (CMS, Cornelius), #26 in NC, #925 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Gaston College Prep (Charter, Gastonia), #29 in NC, #1150 Nationwide. SIVLER Award
- MG Davis Military Academy (CMS, Charlotte), #30 in NC, #1187 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Nation Ford High (York 04, Fort Mill), #8 in SC, #1238 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Northwest Schools of the Arts (CMS, Charlotte), #32 in NC, #1253 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Fort Mill High (York 04, Fort Mill), #9 in NC, #1288 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Highland School of Tech (GCS, Gastonia), #35 in NC, #1537 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Lincoln Charter (Charter, Lincoln) #37 in NC, #1798 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Phillip O. Berry Academy of Tech (CMS, Charlotte), #43 in NC, #2058 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- Independence High (CMS, Charlotte), #45 in NC, #2106 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- York Prep (Rock Hill), #22 in SC, #2338 Nationwide. SILVER Award
- East Mecklenburg High (CMS, Charlotte), #47 in NC, #2400 Nationwide. SILVER Award
Highland also got a Blue Ribbon designation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2019, 10:03 AM
 
7,079 posts, read 5,345,289 times
Reputation: 5246
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I should have replied to KayAnn246, who was looking for the best schools in the "AREA," which includes the entire metro. Her comparison was area vs Fort Mill, while you were comparing schools directly in Charlotte city limits to schools in Fort Mill. Two separate comparisons with some overlap. I'm just trying to provide relevant information to KayAnn so she can pick the right location for her family (which may be Fort Mill). Not having a re-districting threat due to the structure of SC schools is a major incentive for many picking York 04.
I appreciate your information CLT4. I researched for months on good schools in the area. That was one of my main reasons for choosing Ft Mill or Indian Land over Charlotte and Rock Hill. But Sliver is also good. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Murica
794 posts, read 626,441 times
Reputation: 516
Fort Mill, SC is a Charlotte and Pineville planned development commute zone that's why the schools.

Everyone I've met from Fort Mill were either retired or commuted to one of the Pineville parks or Uptown..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 07:21 PM
 
1 posts, read 459 times
Reputation: 15
If you want liberal types of areas, move somewhere like California, the Carolinas have a lot of rednecks and stuff!!! You’ll see a lot about guns and trump in the Carolinas, it’s way way more conservative!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2019, 10:15 PM
 
Location: charlotte
285 posts, read 148,839 times
Reputation: 241
Let's see, Charlotte has a black police chief, black fire chief, black mayor, black city manager, and a black man over seeing the convention bureau. Sure sounds conservative to me. I guess Abryan does not live near Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2019, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte, and Raleigh
2,470 posts, read 1,595,054 times
Reputation: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
Let's see, Charlotte has a black police chief, black fire chief, black mayor, black city manager, and a black man over seeing the convention bureau. Sure sounds conservative to me. I guess Abryan does not live near Charlotte.
Oh yeah, the city-county planning department is led by a black man as well. It's pretty impressive for a burgeoning major city like Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top