Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 12:56 PM

5 posts, read 4,930 times

Advertisements

Actually, more than you suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 06:53 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofCT View Post
Something is not apparent to an outsider is that Charlotte is the Bible Belt. They have the Billy Graham Highway, megachurches and lots of Evangelical churches. This is not something that is advertised but is immediately apparent. I am sure there are Jewish Communities in Charlotte, as well as Muslim and other faiths. However, in my opinion, as a CT resident it might be going from the frying pan into the fryer for you.

Spend some time driving around Charlotte. It is nowhere near NYC levels of diversity and progressivism. There will always be like minded people cheering on more of their group to grow their communities but have a look around. I was down there for work and I was surprised by the prevalence of Christian churches and I am a Christian.

It's a great city but nowhere near what you would consider to be progressive or diverse coming from NY.
Coming from the south and living in one of the major cities/metros in the north, it was really shocking to see just how segmented the areas are based on race and ethnicities. Not that is a bad thing, just a reality because the south is mixed bag of everything whether in the city or many rural areas. There's also a level of pretentiousness that isn't as prevalent in the south; everybody wants to be "somebody" for whatever reason or another.

I think the north's "diversity" is superficial to certain extent and not genuine at the core. I actually experienced much more racism up there. And because everyone is in such a hurry to get nowhere, they'll run you over and leave you for dead in the street, literally. I'm not knocking it because many people favor that type of community, culture and pace. I did find of kind of silly though, that bit of air of superiority due to a fkn address. Lot's of good folks up there, just like down here...but give me a church on every block rather than 10 liquor stores.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:00 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Something is not apparent to an outsider is that Charlotte is the Bible Belt. They have the Billy Graham Highway, megachurches and lots of Evangelical churches. This is not something that is advertised but is immediately apparent. I am sure there are Jewish Communities in Charlotte, as well as Muslim and other faiths. However, in my opinion, as a CT resident it might be going from the frying pan into the fryer for you.

Spend some time driving around Charlotte. It is nowhere near NYC levels of diversity and progressivism. There will always be like minded people cheering on more of their group to grow their communities but have a look around. I was down there for work and I was surprised by the prevalence of Christian churches and I am a Christian.

It's a great city but nowhere near what you would consider to be progressive or diverse coming from NY.
I'd say the "diversity" of many Northern cities is largely a myth. If you look at how many northern cities are laid out, there are clear, almost absolute boundaries as to where different races and cultures live. It truly is a case of "they stay on their side and we stay on our side". Whereas in the South it's not uncommon to find people of different cultures living within 5 minutes of you. I've noticed many Northerners shocked when they come down here and see that the racial boundaries on neighborhoods that they're used to aren't as common in the South. They're used to being insulated from other groups. That's not to say that Southern cities don't have certain sides of them where certain races live but it's not as extreme as in the North.

Now I will agree that people in the North are vocally gung-ho and all in on diversity but I doubt those same people would be comfortable with large amounts of "diversity" living 5 minutes from their house.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:35 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
I think you guys are confusing diversity with integration. On average, major Northern cities are certainly more diverse but not necessarily more integrated.

Old 04-25-2019, 08:44 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:

ignorance at its best...that fake progress (sugar coating for high taxes) in the north is what drives a lot of us here.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:07 AM

834 posts, read 1,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Stuff like what? And you can find yards, privacy, and liberty (whatever that refers to) in abundance in NC.
Good luck with liberty in an HOA or where your neighbors are ten feet from your window.. My whole point is you gotta go pretty far from major towns now to get away from over-development in NC. In SC there is rural privacy most places that is much like NC had before the late nineties..

Old 04-29-2019, 07:54 AM

197 posts, read 232,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Good luck with liberty in an HOA or where your neighbors are ten feet from your window.. My whole point is you gotta go pretty far from major towns now to get away from over-development in NC. In SC there is rural privacy most places that is much like NC had before the late nineties..
You make it sound like HOA's and neighbors 10 feet away are a bad thing. We moved from a more rural area in NJ and had an acre around our house. It was great when we were younger and it gave the kids room to play. Now retired and empty nester's, we decided on a smaller lot close to our neighbors because it give's us a sense of security and much less upkeep in our older age. That and of course taxes are much less here and the weather is a lot more to our liking. We grew up in NY and NJ, had families and careers there but it wasn't a choice to live there, its just where we happened to be. We live in N.C. by choice and enjoy it a lot more.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:31 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
NC has rural privacy too, or are you suggesting that there are a bunch of HOAs in rural NC?

Many of the neighborhoods in urban SC are just like those in urban NC. You're not going to get rural privacy in the developed areas of Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Myrtle Beach, Spartanburg, etc.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:17 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
NC has rural privacy too, or are you suggesting that there are a bunch of HOAs in rural NC?

Many of the neighborhoods in urban SC are just like those in urban NC. You're not going to get rural privacy in the developed areas of Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, Myrtle Beach, Spartanburg, etc.
No I can find places thirty miles or more from most places to work without HOA and rural all day long... If it's not around Charlotte, Raleigh, Winston Salem''' I can even get it with acceptable taxes and principle..

If I'm thinking ahead I'm getting a place in SC though. It won't be over-developed till Atlanta and Charlotte connect probably at least half a century from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipdsharkey View Post
You make it sound like HOA's and neighbors 10 feet away are a bad thing. We moved from a more rural area in NJ and had an acre around our house. It was great when we were younger and it gave the kids room to play. Now retired and empty nester's, we decided on a smaller lot close to our neighbors because it give's us a sense of security and much less upkeep in our older age. That and of course taxes are much less here and the weather is a lot more to our liking. We grew up in NY and NJ, had families and careers there but it wasn't a choice to live there, its just where we happened to be. We live in N.C. by choice and enjoy it a lot more.
I won't bother to argue because I know that perspective is extremely common. Especially on this forum which is mostly planned community types.

I prefer liberty though. I don't want to be under constant surveillance or be ostracized if I put the wrong table in my bought and paid-for back-yard.

Again I won't argue cause I'd be shocked if even a few people who read this care about gardens or animals or about having repercussions for walking down your driveway at night..

Last edited by TJJT; 04-29-2019 at 05:27 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 06:23 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times
Quote:

There are tons of different types of churches around Charlotte attended by people of all races and backgrounds. That alone shows diversity, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte