Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 PM

32 posts, read 209,938 times

Advertisements

Oh ok, because those areas are all part of the Charlotte area. I’m sorry, didn’t know but thanks so much for clearing that up. I’m learning much more about the Charlotte area from all of yous, compared to when I try researching on my own. I think if we do settle on NC the Charlotte area will be suitable for us. It seems to be a beautiful area. I was interested in Raleigh before but don’t believe anyAmazon facilities are out there and that is where my husband will be working.

Thanks so much for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
That's because Concord is just a suburb of Charlotte. On this board, when you're asking: Charlotte, Raleigh, or South Carolina?...we're going to loop all the following into "Charlotte": Mooresville/Huntersville/Gastonia/Concord/Matthews/Pineville/Fort Mill (SC)/etc

Once you've decided: "Ok...we're set on Charlotte...now which areas should we consider"...then that's a different conversation. But if your husband's job is "Uptown Charlotte or Concord"...then honestly you could live in one and commute to the other in under an hour at rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 06:26 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,378,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateNFree View Post
Oh ok, because those areas are all part of the Charlotte area. I’m sorry, didn’t know but thanks so much for clearing that up. I’m learning much more about the Charlotte area from all of yous, compared to when I try researching on my own. I think if we do settle on NC the Charlotte area will be suitable for us. It seems to be a beautiful area. I was interested in Raleigh before but don’t believe anyAmazon facilities are out there and that is where my husband will be working.

Thanks so much for your feedback!
Amazon does have a distribution center in Durham, which is very close to Raleigh.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:05 PM

354 posts, read 627,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles313 View Post
I thought Raleigh was still being considered for Amazon’s second headquarter.
Yes. It is going to be in Garner which is next to Raleigh.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:17 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,378,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post
Do what?

Old 01-31-2019, 03:03 AM

363 posts, read 439,620 times
Hi, I'm formerly from Chicagoland, currently live in Orange County, NC. Right next to Durham, the only Triangle city with any real grit. Don't rule it out. You prob would've loved Nova, DC or burbs. Sounds like southern VA too white bread for y'all. I love it here, but miss the big city sometimes. There are a lot of people from NY here, Surprise! One other thing I have noted, Midwesterners are naturally friendly, it takes a little more effort to make friends with the locals in a small town than in a bigger city or area identified with one. Raleigh does not have a big city vibe, my impression is there are more pocket neighborhoods in Durham, some are sketchy but nothing too awful, lots of gentrification happening there and in Orange and Chatham counties, for better or worse. Garner looks lovely but I'm not familiar with the area.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:28 PM

571 posts, read 715,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles313 View Post
I thought Raleigh was still being considered for Amazon’s second headquarter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontstressem22 View Post

Does Jeff Bezos know about this?

Old 02-04-2019, 12:41 PM

571 posts, read 715,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateNFree View Post
Hey!

Thanks so responding! Well my former fried actually was referring to Richmond area but we chose Chester, VA because it was more Suburban and some cheaper places. Also she lives in Richmond. She never mentioned NOVA at all. I honestly don’t like the Richmond area whatsoever. I wish we would have chosen to Live in NOVA in the beginning. Now we’re just ready to leave VA altogether based on the bad experience we’ve encountered living here. It’s been damn near four years and we are fro NY. Prior to NY I lived in Chicago. Maybe the southern states are hard for me and my husband to get used to.
I think it's something about Richmond. Perhaps things I have changed -- I don't know -- but back in the early '90s the parents of a friend of mine moved to Richmond from Ohio. They never seemed to fit in and felt they were treated not as part of the fabric of the community of Richmond but still as just folks from Ohio. They were not able to join a country club there. My sense of Richmond (at least from older generations) is a lot of pride in their history and once being the capital of the South. As Atlanta rose up to become the biggest metropolitan area in the South and perhaps the modern day (or at least economical) capital of the South, it's as if Richmond would like to pretend Atlanta doesn't exist. And then there's been (at least a couple decades ago) a rivalry with Charlotte. The Richmond newspaper from time to time would run articles bashing Charlotte. Charlotte, though, seems to be much more of a melting pot as most residents these days are not Charlotte natives, at least from what I can tell. Others may have a different opinion.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:53 PM

834 posts, read 1,016,107 times
SC has more personalization and privacy and quality of life as a result.. NC has a lot of development though..

Old 02-24-2019, 06:00 AM

334 posts, read 307,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Hi, I'm formerly from Chicagoland, currently live in Orange County, NC. Right next to Durham, the only Triangle city with any real grit. Don't rule it out. You prob would've loved Nova, DC or burbs. Sounds like southern VA too white bread for y'all. I love it here, but miss the big city sometimes. There are a lot of people from NY here, Surprise! One other thing I have noted, Midwesterners are naturally friendly, it takes a little more effort to make friends with the locals in a small town than in a bigger city or area identified with one. Raleigh does not have a big city vibe, my impression is there are more pocket neighborhoods in Durham, some are sketchy but nothing too awful, lots of gentrification happening there and in Orange and Chatham counties, for better or worse. Garner looks lovely but I'm not familiar with the area.
Just curious, what does "white bread" mean?

Old 02-24-2019, 03:32 PM

120 posts, read 139,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I think it's something about Richmond. Perhaps things I have changed -- I don't know -- but back in the early '90s the parents of a friend of mine moved to Richmond from Ohio. They never seemed to fit in and felt they were treated not as part of the fabric of the community of Richmond but still as just folks from Ohio. They were not able to join a country club there.
With many country clubs needing members, and not discounting your friends' experience at the time, but at this point I'm sure most if not all clubs are taking all comers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte