Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 03:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,269,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I'm still waiting for Drew to explain his thinking about how northeasterners "know how to act" with money.
You mean they do not all have this attitude?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ml#post2119205

Relax, just kidding - it was amusing at the time.

Like any other disorder, overspending is an exercise to escape or mask other, larger problems.
Some people drink too much, some over eat, some people starve themselves, and some people mass consume.

I am not a popular movie fan, but there was a line in Fight Club that sums up the consumerism mantra:
'Most people work jobs they hate, to buy things they cannot afford, to impress people they do not even like' - there is alot of truth in that.

Dwelling on what you do not have is a never ending trail of misery.
The most important things in my life are my family and our combined health, without that everything is for naught.

Collectively we all (forum readers) have it pretty good. Most of us are relatively healthy, pretty intelligent, and through providence are living in the land of unlimited possibility. Sure markets go up and down, and the economy is teetering, but America is still the one place on the globe where one can arrive with nothing but the clothes on their back, and become a millionaire+.

Last edited by mullman; 03-24-2008 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 04:12 PM

362 posts, read 992,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I worked on the 97th floor of tower 1 and was 3 blocks away when the first plane hit... In the perspective of this thread, I think 9-11 changed things for the better - definitely not saying 9-11 changed most or even many things better.

But many "Jones'" got a wake up call that day as to what is really important.
Mike how scary. I know two people who died that day. My husband was on the 101st floor in 1993 when it was bombed, didn't hear from him for 7 hours. I have been hoping he could find a job outside the city ever since, and I vowed I would never work there again. It is a shame it takes such a tragedy to wake one up.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,358,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Money is a convenience, nothing more and nothing less. All it can do, is make your life easier. It can give you a temporary fix of "happiness" or "peace of mind", but real happiness is generated from "within".
Oh the idealism...

Ask anyone who might be on the fringe of losing their house or job about the happiness, or at least peace of mind, that money can bring.

Years ago all I had to my name was $5.08 and had to build my way back up. I slept a lot better at nights knowing there was a growing back account as opposed to wondering how I was going to keep the lights on. Having money afforded me the luxury of finding peace from within as opposed to the dominant worry that accompanies being just about broke.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,979,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wow Mike, that's intense. I cannot imagine how terrible that day was for you personally. Hope you AND your wife feel at home here in no time at all
It's not looking good... I just started looking at 1BR rentals since I won't have an option to relocate back for 4-6 months and she swears she's out and "will meet me back up north". ack - imagine going back... I keep hoping she'll see the light! Nothing I am doing is working, so I need to leave it alone and hope she comes around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraNJ View Post
Mike how scary. I know two people who died that day. My husband was on the 101st floor in 1993 when it was bombed, didn't hear from him for 7 hours. I have been hoping he could find a job outside the city ever since, and I vowed I would never work there again. It is a shame it takes such a tragedy to wake one up.
Cantor Fitzgerald was the company above us in tower 1 - they were major news since it nearly wiped out the whole firm. Out of about 300 people in my group, we lost 97 that day... fortunately we're the IT group and the majority never make it into work by 9am. Weird to say fortunate, but if that happened 30-45min later I would have been up there with more than half of the folks who survived. It's a creepy feeling. One you can never quite shake...

The TV images gave it almost a surreal, dramatic, and movie like atmosphere. Being there, it was the sounds and smells that really make me shake my head to this day - it was so crazy. I have very, very tame stories compared to so many others that day. What a couple of my co-workers went through to get out of the building will curl your toes.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 PM

158 posts, read 409,648 times
I'm speechless ..... my neighbors moved to Virginia from NY last year to finally break from the 9/11 thing. I guess they just needed to be somewhere else. Anyone who was around that day surely deserves a new start if they need one.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:20 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,302,038 times
it was rough dh was supposed to be in that building for a meeting and for reason decided to work from the NJ office...we had friends in the building..

Old 03-24-2008, 07:27 PM

158 posts, read 409,648 times
This thread is sad
I think the Jones thing works until your about 28 years old and then most people realise there's a person inside them who needs to be real! Then there's other who never seem to grow a little person ...... and I guess we're all very sorry for them because, they don't know who they really are.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,897,508 times
Mikey, I am so sorry that it is not working out for you and your wife. What an incredibly sad chapter in an already sad story. I don' know either of you so I can't make any predictions about what will eventually happen with your relationship, but I hope with all my heart that once back there she realizes that it is your relationship that matters. My thoughts are with you.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It's not looking good... I just started looking at 1BR rentals since I won't have an option to relocate back for 4-6 months and she swears she's out and "will meet me back up north". ack - imagine going back... I keep hoping she'll see the light! Nothing I am doing is working, so I need to leave it alone and hope she comes around.
Is you W still here? I wish she would come meet us at the GNO - make some new friends. So sorry things are not easy right now. And I have a really terrific sister who lives up your way . . . wish we could get your W hooked up w/ some fabulous women to help her feel more at home here.

Whatever happens, Mike . . . stay on a path that feels right for you, whatever that might mean.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Oh the idealism...

Ask anyone who might be on the fringe of losing their house or job about the happiness, or at least peace of mind, that money can bring.

Years ago all I had to my name was $5.08 and had to build my way back up. I slept a lot better at nights knowing there was a growing back account as opposed to wondering how I was going to keep the lights on. Having money afforded me the luxury of finding peace from within as opposed to the dominant worry that accompanies being just about broke.
Having money can alleviate a lot of stress. Not having money to meet your obligations is sheer hell.

I think money can bring a lot of happiness - b/c it brings peace of mind. But we are talking about keeping up w/ the Joneses - wh/ implies - doing whatever to "pretend" one has the resources when one does not!

But anyone who thinks money doesn't make life a lot easier either has never had money - or has never lost what they did have, LOL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte