U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,416,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Charlotte is nothing like Miami, NY, LA etc in that sense because 1)we don't have the large amount of people that those places do and 2)we don't have as many wealthy people as those places do. The more people, the more wealthy people there are. However, Charlotte, for its size, has a pretty large amount of wealth and that, I think, is a good thing. It shows that their are opportunities to succeed here (plus we get to have better things than other cities our size, like dining and shopping).
Compared to those cities pound for pound, Charlotte doesn't have the amount of available geography - any comparison to a coastal city won't hold up.

Except for 2, maybe 3 areas all you can really do is go bigger sqft to try and compete here. Even then I can't see how you justify 800k, 900k, 1mil for a large house in the woods. You'd be better off paying half that and building a house in the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Unless your jealous or envious, does it really matter whether someone wants to drive a nice car, or wear nice clothes, or have nice things? Most people who do can clearly afford it, or it is a hobby of theirs (they enjoy cars or fashion). It is the people who are living by the skin of their teeth in order to have these things are the ones that look like fools (and they usually don't have nice cars or nice clothes because all their money is invested in their mansion - just look at 90% of Union County "luxury" communities and you will see what I mean. I live in one and witness it daily. Most likely more than half the people that live in my neighborhood can barely afford to).

Charlotte is nothing like Miami, NY, LA etc in that sense because 1)we don't have the large amount of people that those places do and 2)we don't have as many wealthy people as those places do. The more people, the more wealthy people there are. However, Charlotte, for its size, has a pretty large amount of wealth and that, I think, is a good thing. It shows that their are opportunities to succeed here (plus we get to have better things than other cities our size, like dining and shopping).
Mike - great post. People should do what makes them happy . . . and if they have the money to pursue things that make them feel good . . . good for them!!!

Material things only get ridiculous when people put their lives (and families) in jeopardy w/ debt.

And most of all - what one owns may be an extension of taste and may even be an indication of class . . . but it surely is not what makes a person classy.

Last edited by brokensky; 03-23-2008 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-23-2008, 10:26 PM

620 posts, read 1,918,859 times
This post shows the problem Charlotte is facing. Small town mentality (simple is better) and city don't mix. Charlotte is growing into a larger city but the small town thinking is going to hold it back from acting like one. Whether that is good or bad is a matter of opinion (and opinions are neither right or wrong. I am sure most of you already know my opinion on this, since it is usually always the opposite of everyone else on here - that losing it would be a good thing).

Old 03-24-2008, 04:30 AM

118 posts, read 408,721 times
I thought this was a good post. I have a question. Do you think at this time people can actually change the way they do things? I don't have children, so I'm stepping out on a limb with this one. Let's say you have a middle school aged child, who has gotten use to their parents getting them whatever they wanted, (Ipods, Cell phones) do you think any of these parents can now scale back on how they spend? Worry about what the child is going to go through when they go to school in regular jeans, verses the $50+ jeans? I personally think the living like the Joneses has a great affect on schools, and the school system. One thing I've learned from living in NYC is you never know who you're sitting next to on the train., because the mulit millionaires ride the A and 4 train too.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 AM

241 posts, read 813,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Most of the people in CLT (2/3) are transplants.
Right on point.

I lived in Newport Beach, CA - Orange County - for about 4 1/2 years. Talk about the epitomy of materialistic - you had to have the designer bags, the designer jeans, the BMW or the Mercedes even if you couldn't afford it, the $2000/week apartment on the beach. Overall, I don't think that it is the native North Carolinians that are bringing this type of attitude to Charlotte. That's not to say that all people that aren't from here are materialistic, but it just really isn't in the value system or the way that most people originally from here, or with family of people from here, were brought up.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:59 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,038,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaranicole View Post
Right on point.
Y, moving here and using all our water.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:38 AM

77 posts, read 246,834 times
hmmm, this thread is very interesting. We live in NJ and are contemplating relocating to either Waxhaw or Lincoln County. Part of the reason we dislike NJ is how much the "keep up with the Joneses" has invaded, even my small rural area. We were hoping this might be better down in your area.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:18 AM

362 posts, read 898,628 times
[quote=drew0020;3227895]Understood, but most people with money in the northeast are not like the people in the Charlotte when it comes to money. Most people in the northeast know how to act [/QUOTE

Curious what you mean about knowing how to act. Can you explain please because I live in Northern Bergen County and I find myself thinking just because someone has money doesn't mean they have any class.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,046,730 times
[quote=BarbaraNJ;3233782]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
Understood, but most people with money in the northeast are not like the people in the Charlotte when it comes to money. Most people in the northeast know how to act [/QUOTE

Curious what you mean about knowing how to act. Can you explain please because I live in Northern Bergen County and I find myself thinking just because someone has money doesn't mean they have any class.
I am wondering the same thing, too. Part of my family moved to NJ after WWII, and we visit up there, and honestly - one of the things that has struck me is - how big a deal the "display" of assumed (if not real) wealth is. Hmmmmm. "People know how to act?" What the heck does that mean? My friends and I were taught to be understated and that is was tacky to "display your wealth" - not to mention - UNSAFE. Criminals look for people displaying their wealth - those are the women whose designer handbags get stolen and whose expensive cars are followed home!!!!

So this thing about people in CLT not knowing "how to act" - well - excuse me - I will make this statement again - 2/3 of the residents of CLT are NOT NATIVES. And I know how my family, my long time friends, and the natives live - and basically - even the ones who have a lot more than most of us live very unassuming lives - mainly so as not to draw attention to themselves.

So who are these people who "don't know how to act?"

Old 03-24-2008, 08:01 AM

620 posts, read 1,918,859 times
As Charlotte grows larger, which is inevitable, the more wealth there will be and the more it will become noticable. You will see even more luxury cars and people with designer handbags and clothes. Is it really that big of a deal??? Unless you feel threatened by these people for some strange reason, I don't know why anybody should care what they do. The "Keeping up with the Jones syndrome" lies within yourself, not these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or