U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:08 PM

311 posts, read 214,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Anyone who has lived in a "city" knows Charlotte's crime is moderate and on par with most peer cities. I was in a Popeyes in DC that got robbed, per my recollection it wasn't a huge monetary haul however they got an ass load of chicken....and red beans and rice.
What an experience THAT must have been!

Agreed re: crime. I personally think I have become somewhat desensitized after St. Louis and Detroit. 4 months after we moved into our house in SL we had 3 people shot three houses down from us (We didn't live in a bad area, either. Actually, it was a very sought after location ). Wheeled them out on stretchers bleeding from the chest, etc. Swat team, etc. swarming everywhere. What an experience THAT was.
Regularly we had assaults, carjackings,etc. The people next door were busted for narcotics. We had a police officer shot nearby (a favorite pastime for SL thugs), and heard the police helicopter circling over our house for hours- and hours. Then we heard the shots that killed the suspect less than a mile away. Like I said, it wasn't a bad area but it was very urban. Charlotte doesn't seem to have the widespread crime St. Louis has. It appears to be concentrated, but I have limited experience, so I could be wrong. St. Louis has carjackings, assaults, robberies even in the best parts of town. You really have to be on guard everywhere you go there.
In Detroit I lived in a gated golf course subdivision, and we were always getting updates about robberies (in the daytime)-and we lived 40 miles from downtown. We only ventured downtown once, and that was enough for me. I really don't feel concerned in Charlotte. Maybe I should. I guess it doesn't hurt that I have a police officer next door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 03:29 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,142,597 times
Quote:
Anyone who has lived in a "city" knows Charlotte's crime is moderate and on par with most peer cities. I was in a Popeyes in DC that got robbed, per my recollection it wasn't a huge monetary haul however they got an ass load of chicken....and red beans and rice.
I was in a parking lot here in Charlotte when a drive by happened and a kid was shot in the head.. it was a wonderful "welcome" after just moving here weeks before.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:31 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I was in a parking lot here in Charlotte when a drive by happened and a kid was shot in the head.. it was a wonderful "welcome" after just moving here weeks before.

Sounds like an awful scenario to see Sweetbottoms. I've live here for almost 40 years and never seen anything like that.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:32 PM

2,717 posts, read 1,753,341 times
We currently live in San Diego and weíve been trying to move out for years. Looks like itís finally happening and weíll be moving out there.

San Diego is supposed to be one of the safest large cities. So a few weeks ago thereís all kind of police activity in our apartment complex. Turns out someone was killed in their apartment just across from us. We couldnít leave our place because of the police tape and they were here all day and into the night. We still donít know exactly what happened.

Last year there was a big fire about 50 yards from our place because of a homeless encampment near a river. Thankfully the fire department knocked it out before it did any damage.

If I look at Crimemapping.com, thereís mostly suspicious person reposts near Stonecrest at Ballantyne. A few other things, too. Near me now in San Diego Iíve got DUIs, larceny, burglaries, assaults, etc. And we live in an area thatís not so bad.

My point is that thereís crime everywhere. You just have to be wise. If anyone knows of a crime free place thatís not a deserted island somewhere, let me know. Iíll try to move there.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:12 PM

4,915 posts, read 7,843,507 times
Crime is getting worse everywhere.

That being said, I think a lot of people moving to Charlotte, and the Carolinas in general, think it's Mayberry.

Just be realistic and remember it's 2018 EVERYWHERE. And 1961 NOWHERE.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:31 AM

110 posts, read 103,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
"Southlake, Keller, Grapevine area...."

Crime news lately:
"White van linked to burglaries in Southlake, Keller, Lewisville"
White van linked to burglaries in Southlake, Keller, Lewisville | WFAA.com

"Police arrest man accused of robbing Southlake woman at gunpoint in home invasion"
Police arrest suspect armed Southlake home invasion robbery | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

"Southlake Police Investigating Daytime Home Invasion"
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/So...421097123.html

"Teens arrested on suspicion of committing 3 armed robberies in Grapevine on Sunday"
Teens arrested in connection with Grapevine armed robberies | Fort Worth Star-Telegram

"Double-Shooting Suspect Wanted In Grapevine"
Double-Shooting Suspect Wanted In Grapevine ę CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

"Man accused of soliciting sex acts from young girls at Grapevine Target arrested"
Man accused of soliciting sex acts from young girls at Grapevine Target arrested | WFAA.com

"Homeowner wounds 20-year-old while firing shotgun to scare off crowd in Grapevine"
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...ople-grapevine

"Man stabbed co-worker to death after argument, Grapevine police say"
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...ine-police-say

"Man exposes himself to woman outside Wal-Mart in Grapevine"
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crim...mart-grapevine

"Home Invasion Robbery Reported in Colleyville"
https://localnewsonly.com/2017/01/ho...n-colleyville/

Watch your back seat! "Grapevine Police Report Spike In Third Row Seat Thefts"
Grapevine Police Report Spike In Third Row Seat Thefts ę CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
I spent 4 years in that area and crime was very rare. Does not compare to what happens regularly just here alone in South Charlotte. You're pulling a bunch of random crime from all over DFW area which is huge. I notice many are in denial here and that is ok.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 AM

1,453 posts, read 993,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNicole View Post
I spent 4 years in that area and crime was very rare. Does not compare to what happens regularly just here alone in South Charlotte. You're pulling a bunch of random crime from all over DFW area which is huge. I notice many are in denial here and that is ok.
So if you want to pick a series of random crimes over a 4 year period in the Charlotte area (like the Gap robbery all the way back in 2015) it is representative, but it I pick a series of random crimes in the areas you lived in within DFW in just the last 12 months, it isn't representative?

If we compare Police stats for Ballantyne (28277) to Grapevine, TX which are both similar in population, the following police stats exist for January 2018. Crime is everywhere. Ballantyne doesn't have 0 thefts, but neither does Grapevine.

Breaking and Entering Burglary: 1 in Ballantyne, 6 in Grapevine
Armed Robbery: 0 in Ballantyne, 4 in Grapevine
Sexual Crime: 0 in Ballantyne, 1 in Grapevine
Theft: 28 in Ballantyne, 35 in Grapevine
Theft of Vehicle: 0 in Ballantyne, 6 in Grapevine
Assault: 16 in Ballantyne, 6 in Grapevine
Homicide: 0 in Ballantyne, 0 in Grapevine
Drugs: 4 in Ballantyne, 8 in Grapevine

Last edited by CLT4; 02-25-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 02-25-2018, 11:46 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Crime is random, meaning, it's extremely rare to be in the "wrong" place at the "wrong" time, even in crime ridden areas. Seems you were as I was at that Popeyes. Though, it wasn't like the Coming to America scene where Samuel L holds up the McDowells with a shotgun.

I frequented all parts of DC while living there, especially with a lot friends and family in Southeast DC that is notorious for being a bit unsavory. Nothing, never did I see (while other than the dude holding up the Popeyes with a Swiss Army to get few wads of cash and a bunch of chicken and red beans and rice, seriously). One morning, at a metro stop (subway) someone got mugged and killed. I didn't realize it was 10 minutes after I had just got on a train. Crime is random and sometimes you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. Charlotte is very safe unless you're really out scouring the town in the bowels of the underworld...yes, your percentages of getting popped increase exponentially, but that's anywhere.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:54 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
So if you want to pick a series of random crimes over a 4 year period in the Charlotte area (like the Gap robbery all the way back in 2015) it is representative, but it I pick a series of random crimes in the areas you lived in within DFW, it isn't representative?

If we compare Police stats for Ballantyne (28277) to Grapevine, TX which are both similar in population, the following police stats exist for January 2018:

Breaking and Entering Burglary: 1 in Ballantyne, 6 in Grapevine
Armed Robbery: 0 in Ballantyne, 4 in Grapevine
Sexual Crime: 0 in Ballantyne, 1 in Grapevine
Theft: 28 in Ballantyne, 35 in Grapevine
Theft of Vehicle: 0 in Ballantyne, 6 in Grapevine
Assault: 16 in Ballantyne, 6 in Grapevine
Homicide: 0 in Ballantyne, 0 in Grapevine
Drugs: 4 in Ballantyne, 8 in Grapevine
Please stop, once folks get fixated on a narrative, there isn't anything you can do to change it. No matter what the stats convey...Charlotte is more "dangerous" than Dallas. It's confirmation bias at this point.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:39 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Quote:
Please stop, once folks get fixated on a narrative, there isn't anything you can do to change it. No matter what the stats convey...Charlotte is more "dangerous" than Dallas. It's confirmation bias at this point.
Which is certainly ironic because the article posted by the OP (the same person fixated on the narrative of Charlotte being more dangerous than Dallas), states that Dallas is more dangerous than Charlotte...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or