U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 12:59 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,913,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapefromprisonplanet View Post
this is exactly the ďsoulĒ of charlotte. Itís basic. Itís normieville, vanilla fields, corporate headquarters. Itís the land of people with the attitude that differing options arenít welcome and ďif you donít like it leaveĒ. People here are hyper sensitive and defensive of their basic-ness. They wear it like a badge of honor. Itís like the ultimate urban area for the rural/suburban at heart. The art and music scenes are bland and practically non existent. Many of the once good venues and bars are closing in droves as they get torn down for new basic, but pretty, eateries and condos. You wonít see people complain about it either because there is this sense that real culture attracts weirdos and undesirables. Charlotte wants to be bland. They donít want to be leaders in a cultural revolution. They donít want to be cutting edge. It makes them uncomfortable. Everything here has a sense of uniformity and conformity. Young talented people who value these things are leaving in droves for austin, cali, asheville, and nashville. The artsy bohemian areas get snuffed out almost as soon as they get off the ground (see noda). Uncontrolled sprawl, ultra conservative attitudes, and greed have turned some of the more interesting places into condos and shiny new office spaces (see food truck friday and common market). Some charlottians on this forum have straight said this in their own words. Believe them. They mean exactly what they say. Itís still very much the good old boys network here, only now it works for a bank, wears a suit, and lives in a $300,000 condo while driving around and listening to taylor swift on 95.1. If i had a dollar for everyime i heard a native say ďwell leave then!Ē, instead of considering if there was any value in what that person had said, iíd be able to move away from this soul sucking land of automatons.

Charlotte- the city of basics
sustained!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 01:43 PM

43 posts, read 30,365 times
For what it’s worth, I’m a native and agree.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:59 PM

2,820 posts, read 4,913,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packard40 View Post
For what itís worth, Iím a native and agree.
Me too!!!...but I relocated. Still have family in Charlotte though.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 1,881 times
I wonít go into my foray into improving the city but will suffice it to say politics, greed, and a community desire to stay homogenized shut us down.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:22 PM

3 posts, read 1,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
It is corporate but what's this cultural revolution?. But the notion that Austin, Nashville or Asheville aren't choked with the good ole boy network is the worst cast of the "grass is greener" . You can definitely party harder in those places (maybe not Asheville) but other than that, it's a wash. And maybe working in stale Charlotte has afforded them an opportunity to save some money because finding a job or comparable pay in Asheville isn't happening.

By the way, I was in Nashville for a conference last week (downtown), no way in hell you'll ever hear someone driving around listening to Taylor Swift...nah, not Nashville or Austin, those two beacons of intellectual and cultural superiority....are you drunk?
With all due respect to you as a fellow human being, those places obviously have something that Charlotte is failing to offer, regardless of jobs. And in the case of saving money, unless a person lands an amazeballs job or bought a home years ago when the market was down, the current housing market makes it tough for most to save. The housing market prices have skyrocketed in the last ten years and salaries are not keeping up with the pace.

I employed a handful of creative, educated young people for several years. Iíd say at least half have moved. Two went to Grand Rapids MI, two to Philly, three to the Asheville area, one to Nashville, two to Grenville SC, one to Easthampton MA, and one to Raleigh Durahm. Not one of them has returned and all but one in Philly are much happier in their new cities. He, I donít imagine, would be happy anywhere.

Of those who remain, three were born here and are very integrated because of large extended families in the area. They seem happy enough here. One passed away recently. One landed a great job in an unusual scientific field and travels more than they are here, and one that I fired hates it here but lacks the ambition or education/work experience to get out. He is the only one without a degree.
The grass IS greener for these young adults. The problem is that large Metro areas typically have something for everyone. I personally feel Charlotte does not. And if you love it here then I am very happy you have found your place here. For all the things I donít like about Charlotte, I will say it is a lovely and clean city. Itís just boring. Painfully boring. Look at the Atlas Obscura entries for Charlotte versus a city of comparible size like say Pittsburg or Atlanta.

If people wanted to just save money and work they could do that in a lot of less urban places with less traffic and cheaper rents. For a lot of people that isnít enough to move here or to stay. Me personally, I would prefer to keep our young visionaries here where they are needed. The eat dirt attitude about this topic that many locals have isnít helping to keep them here.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:31 PM

1,280 posts, read 427,057 times
To me, Charlotte just seems a combination of (1) Office Park Dads and (2) extreme insecurity. Unfortunate because Charlotte is a very nice city and should be content with what it is. Instead, there seems to be a focus on whether or not Charlotte is "world-class"--and if I see another Charlotte Observer article mentioning that Bank of America Corporate Center has 60 stories, I'm going to...

Old 03-12-2018, 05:38 PM

20 posts, read 8,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey63t View Post
I have lived in Charlotte now for 25 years and have seen a lot of change. It wasnít a city I visited and said ďI want to live hereĒ but rather a good opportunity / promotion with my job that brought me here. Over the 25 years I have been here, there has always been an underlying ďnagĒ of feeling the city lacks an identity and soul and over the past few years that nag has gotten more intense. I tend to feel it is the explosive growth that has occurred over the last several years that is amplifying the root of why I have the nag. As best as I can describe it, it seems Charlotte is sterile, generic and continues to struggle to identify itself. It seems to feel the way to develop an identity is to erase its past. The concept to tear down anything old and build new seems to be the approach it takes to become ďsomethingĒ but what that something is still eludes me. I have seen pictures of the old downtown Charlotte and it is such a shame that those gorgeous old buildings and store fronts are all gone and replaced with glass and marble. Integration of the new with the old is what helps a city maintain its connection with who it was as it evolves. It is a novelty now to find anything from the past. And increasingly I am finding friends who visit or business associates who are in town describe the city as a lot of new that lacks an identity and soul. As I am starting to look at retirement in the next several years, I am evaluating if Charlotte is included in the picture. I find myself more and more entertaining the idea of relocating to a city that seems to know who it is and that I can feel connected with. At this point I feel I am going through the work / life motions in a place where I am feeling more and more disconnected. Just curious if others may be experiencing a similar situation. Thanks!
This isn't just a problem with Charlotte but with many big American cities in general, unfortunately. For whats worth, I have found cities in North Carolina to have more charm to them then most cities in Texas which are a guide to everything wrong with a lot of sunbelt cities.

Unfortunately, North Carolina seems to be loosing its southern charm which really added a sense of culture and identity to it. I rarely hear southern accents anymore when I come to visit.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:56 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapefromprisonplanet View Post
With all due respect to you as a fellow human being, those places obviously have something that Charlotte is failing to offer, regardless of jobs. And in the case of saving money, unless a person lands an amazeballs job or bought a home years ago when the market was down, the current housing market makes it tough for most to save. The housing market prices have skyrocketed in the last ten years and salaries are not keeping up with the pace.

I employed a handful of creative, educated young people for several years. I’d say at least half have moved. Two went to Grand Rapids MI, two to Philly, three to the Asheville area, one to Nashville, two to Grenville SC, one to Easthampton MA, and one to Raleigh Durahm. Not one of them has returned and all but one in Philly are much happier in their new cities. He, I don’t imagine, would be happy anywhere.

Of those who remain, three were born here and are very integrated because of large extended families in the area. They seem happy enough here. One passed away recently. One landed a great job in an unusual scientific field and travels more than they are here, and one that I fired hates it here but lacks the ambition or education/work experience to get out. He is the only one without a degree.
The grass IS greener for these young adults. The problem is that large Metro areas typically have something for everyone. I personally feel Charlotte does not. And if you love it here then I am very happy you have found your place here. For all the things I don’t like about Charlotte, I will say it is a lovely and clean city. It’s just boring. Painfully boring. Look at the Atlas Obscura entries for Charlotte versus a city of comparible size like say Pittsburg or Atlanta.

If people wanted to just save money and work they could do that in a lot of less urban places with less traffic and cheaper rents. For a lot of people that isn’t enough to move here or to stay. Me personally, I would prefer to keep our young visionaries here where they are needed. The eat dirt attitude about this topic that many locals have isn’t helping to keep them here.
Mod Edit People leave Nashville, Asheville, Austin, etc everyday for a variety of reasons. It's an overgeneralizationMod Edit. I just don't see the huge upgrade in "things to do" category in those places. Maybe Philly or larger cities, but at some point the well runs dry on "things to do" anywhere. Basically, it's more about "soul" searching than "soul" of a city.

By no means defending Charlotte, but at some point, you have find that individual peace of mind. City hopping ain't gonna do it.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 03-13-2018 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Removed off topic commentary.

Old 03-13-2018, 06:11 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistype View Post
This isn't just a problem with Charlotte but with many big American cities in general, unfortunately. For whats worth, I have found cities in North Carolina to have more charm to them then most cities in Texas which are a guide to everything wrong with a lot of sunbelt cities.

Unfortunately, North Carolina seems to be loosing its southern charm which really added a sense of culture and identity to it. I rarely hear southern accents anymore when I come to visit.
But what's the problem? Things change, cities change, people change...and not always for the worst. This poem comes to mind.

Nothing Gold Can Stay (Robert Frost)

Natureís first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leafís a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Marinate on that for a minute. People complain about how vanilla NYC has gotten, etc etc. Nothing, absolutely nothing will ever be the same about southern sunbelt cities. Hell, mostly improvements if the infrastructure holds up. I think people have unrealistic expectations seeking (NYC) high paying jobs in a warmer climate, in a growth controlled big city Mayberry. Uh, no...jobs bring growth and people, and we ain't gonna grow like 1940/50 with the ability to slap freeways anywhere plus demand for convenience and space.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:55 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,993,341 times
Honestly it just sounds like some people want a city of nearly 900,000 people (Charlotte) to follow the example of a city with 90,000 people (Asheville). That's like asking the nine million people of New York to follow Charlotte's example....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte