Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 02:32 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I sure can link Philly with NYC way before I could with Charlotte, Atlanta or other places.

Also curious if Arlington, VA or Bethesda was such a great place to live, why can’t one enjoy uptown/SouthEnd also?
Oh, of course you can link Philadelphia & NYC, if you prefer to ignore history. That's certainly your right.

I lived in that metro for over 40 years. How about you?

The New Years shooters in Cherryville tie themselves to the Mummers Parade in Philadelphia. There are old, colonial era & federal era stone houses in this area that look just like old colonial era & federal era stone houses in SE Pennsylvania because they were built by Germanic settlers who came down from SE Pennsylvania, not Dutch NY.

Last edited by southbound_295; 03-26-2018 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 02:41 PM

3,859 posts, read 4,234,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
I lived in the DC area for 16 years and, no, most of the DC is NOT suburban. There are a few suburban neighborhoods in northwest DC (like Friendship Heights and Cleveland Park where I should point out that Metro is still accessible), but the vast majority of DC residents live in urban neighborhoods. It is true that most of the DC metro area -- areas outside of the District -- are suburban, but not the District itself. But even some of the suburbs (much of Arlington and Alexandria, parts of Bethesda, to name a few), are fairly urbanized.
Over 6 million people live in the metro and the metro is mostly suburban. I still have a rental in Trinidad neighborhood and that whole area is gentrifying like crazy and the prices have soared. There are communities in SE DC and DC city (w/ranch houses, etc) that look like anywhere North Carolina, matter of fact, my peoples are littered all over SE and NE DC, and Maryland, either 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation North Carolinians as part of the Great Migration. I don't know your race but if you're White, you've probably not seen much of that part of DC.

You are correct, though it's mostly suburban it is fairly urbanized in a lot of areas.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
LOL so I guess that means it will never end. But speaking of basketball my 76ers did clinch the playoffs last night!
You only tanked for the past 5 years....bout time.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
SouthEnd is on its way. I look at it as a place that in a couple years I could enjoy living in possibly as much as I enjoyed Arlington. It's not quite there, but its certainly on its way. It's going to be very walkable. I also love that Garden District in 3rd Ward in Charlotte. There are row houses there, and they are new, and beautiful but compact single family homes. This is old-style development like what happened in NYC and Philly a century or two ago. So this type of development IS happening today, even in Charlotte.
I am looking all along the new LRT in Charlotte....Noda, etc. It won't even look remotely the same in 10 years.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:57 PM

571 posts, read 707,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I am looking all along the new LRT in Charlotte....Noda, etc. It won't even look remotely the same in 10 years.
I had to go back and correct my earlier comment. The Garden District is in 1st Ward, not 3rd Ward. I've only passed by it on the 277 Loop, but a couple weeks ago I took a Google virtual tour. A couple of the houses caught my attention because they looked really old, like Victorian era. Then I checked the addresses on Zillow and they were only about 10 of 15 years old.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Over 6 million people live in the metro and the metro is mostly suburban. I still have a rental in Trinidad neighborhood and that whole area is gentrifying like crazy and the prices have soared. There are communities in SE DC and DC city (w/ranch houses, etc) that look like anywhere North Carolina, matter of fact, my peoples are littered all over SE and NE DC, and Maryland, either 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation North Carolinians as part of the Great Migration. I don't know your race but if you're White, you've probably not seen much of that part of DC.
Yes, I am white and I haven't seen much of that area. Are you talking about Anacostia? I was warned never to enter there and never did except when I went to a funeral once. If even THAT area is changing, then that is truly amazing. I know they were expecting some changes after they put in the new baseball park, but I haven't heard if that was as successful as they were hoping.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
And that will be exciting to see. I have this fantasy that up along North Davidson, starting just outside NoDa, the developments fill in going towards UT and create a real urban corridor. But in this process I beg that they not tear down any of those old NoDa buildings.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am white and I haven't seen much of that area. Are you talking about Anacostia? I was warned never to enter there and never did except when I went to a funeral once. If even THAT area is changing, then that is truly amazing. I know they were expecting some changes after they put in the new baseball park, but I haven't heard if that was as successful as they were hoping.
Yes, parts of Anacostia and all over Penn/Minn Ave area, just cross Sousa Bridge. It's not as bad as people make out but best keep your head on a swivel. Parts of that area look like anywhere NC. That area isn't gentrifying like H St., but on the other side of the Sousa Bridge (Capitol Hill), it's totally transformed up through Eastern Market, etc. Ball Park is down on the waterfront, Navy Yards or SW DC.

I think Southend will eventually morph into a version of Mid-town Atlanta.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:39 PM

222 posts, read 193,126 times
Quote:
You only tanked for the past 5 years....bout time.
*4 years actually (2013-2017) the Hornets need to try and do something similar if they ever want a shot at being competitive but they seem content with sustained mediocrity. They are stuck in no man's land- not bad enough to land a top 3 pick and not good enough to compete for anything year after year, and will miss the playoffs this season again. The Sixers were in the same position for years post-Iverson era of being a mediocre middle-of-the-road team so that's what made them decide to pull the plug and tank. At least tanking provided us with some direction and now other teams are trying to do it- Atlanta, Chicago, Orlando.

Last edited by Mdez; 03-26-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 03-26-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, parts of Anacostia and all over Penn/Minn Ave area, just cross Sousa Bridge. It's not as bad as people make out but best keep your head on a swivel.
LOL

Quote:
Parts of that area look like anywhere NC. That area isn't gentrifying like H St., but on the other side of the Sousa Bridge (Capitol Hill), it's totally transformed up through Eastern Market, etc. Ball Park is down on the waterfront, Navy Yards or SW DC.

I think Southend will eventually morph into a version of Mid-town Atlanta.
I haven't been to Atlanta since 2001, and I've only been there a handful of times in my life, so I'm not intimately familiar with it. But I guess morphing into a MT Atlanta is okay as long as they don't tear down those old mills. Those old brick buildings, even the mills, have a certain beauty about them.

Back to DC, I had a friend in the mid '90s who was living on U St. near 14th. I remember her telling me how she would look out her bedroom window at night and watch drug deals. I visited her place a couple times and it was a creepy area. I could not have envisioned it then that it would become the vibrant, hip neighborhood it is now.

These changes in the urban hoods are all wonderful, but at the same time there are low income people being displaced. I assume they are being forced out into the distant suburbs where they have long commutes to work. So they are now having transportation costs forced upon them, eating at their small salaries, and time with their children is being taken away from them. That part is sad and will make it harder to lift the next generation out of poverty.

Last edited by brichard; 03-26-2018 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte