U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:38 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,352,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdez View Post
Oh, for sure. I feel sorry for anybody that has to live in a state like Alabama. Never been and don't plan to go. I guess the only thing worse is Mississippi? Geez
No need to feel any pity for us. Life here (at least in the Birmingham area) can be as good as one wants to make it.

I just find this thread to be a bit ridiculous. Charlotte has plenty going for it, no need to ***** about the city not having any identity or soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 12:44 PM

145 posts, read 85,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
No need to feel any pity for us. Life here (at least in the Birmingham area) can be as good as one wants to make it.

I just find this thread to be a bit ridiculous. Charlotte has plenty going for it, no need to ***** about the city not having any identity or soul.
1. I didn't make this thread, just contributing to it as this is an open forum.
2. There have been SEVERAL threads/posts on this topic in Charlotte I find it kind of funny to be honest

Old 02-20-2018, 12:48 PM

29,761 posts, read 27,191,110 times
Quote:
Charlotte is a place that people move to either raise a family or retire. Not a place of excitement that anyone yearns to live or be in, thatís all. Some cities are more so places to simply live in rather than be destinations/tourist spots. Not that itís a bad place, just saying youíre not going to find the hustle/bustle and excitement in Charlotte that you would find in larger cities.
I'm sure very few people are moving to Charlotte specifically to retire. Asheville, Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston are the retirement hot spots in the Carolinas. Charlotte, not so much.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:50 PM

29,761 posts, read 27,191,110 times
Quote:
Oh, for sure. I feel sorry for anybody that has to live in a state like Alabama. Never been and don't plan to go. I guess the only thing worse is Mississippi? Geez what a sh*thole I wouldn't last a week there.
Alabama isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. Plenty of people visit and are pleasantly surprised, its politics notwithstanding.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:48 PM

2,833 posts, read 4,141,891 times
Quote:
Any talk of Charlotte being a small city or not the most exciting place/destination gets CLT natives on here so offended. I saw this coming.
Not true! I would LOVE for Charlotte to still be a small city. In the case of cities - bigger is not always better. There has always been enough excitement here for me.

I am sorry for those that live here and don't like it for whatever reason. PLEASE MOVE OR GO BACK HOME! Life is too short to live in a place where you are not happy!

Old 02-20-2018, 05:20 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,137,961 times
Quote:
Charlotte is a place that people move to either raise a family or retire. Not a place of excitement that anyone yearns to live or be in, thatís all. Some cities are more so places to simply live in rather than be destinations/tourist spots. Not that itís a bad place, just saying youíre not going to find the hustle/bustle and excitement in Charlotte that you would find in larger cities.
A lot of us have lived in those "exciting" cities/metros and took the first thing smoking out of town. That's how they initially got me, all that hype about "excitement"...fool me once, fool me twice....in the jumbled words of #42. Keep that hype machine in yo house.

All places grow mundane and routine at some point. You may be suffering from absence make the heart grow fonder. I think a lot people would readily get the hell of big cities (hustle & bustle) if they could find comparable pay/opportunities.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:27 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I think the identity is simply Charlotte is all around decent. Weather is good, affordability is good, traffic is decent, schools are decent, job opportunities are good, distance to the mountains is nice, distance to the beach is good, airport is good, crime is decent. Its the agglomeration of decent qualities and the lack of serious negatives (such as affordability for SF and NYC, traffic for DC, crime for Chicago, jobs for Detroit, weather for Phoenix, inevitable earthquake at some unknown moment for LA) that make Charlotte exceptional.
This. In that sense the slogan ďCharlotteís got a lotĒ (are they even still using that?) is actually pretty fitting IMO. It may not have one thing that makes it stands out (although I might argue itís status as a financial center might be one), but itís got a lot of above average things going for it that combined make it an overall well above average place to live.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
1. I didn't make this thread, just contributing to it as this is an open forum.
2. There have been SEVERAL threads/posts on this topic in Charlotte I find it kind of funny to be honest
It is funny, but a lot of sprawling/booming sunbelt cities receive a slew of negative labeling. At some point, hopefully, Charlotte folks will become insensitive and embrace it. The city should incorporate the no-identity into their "branding and marketing" campaign....have fun with it and it'll diffuse the talk/image much quicker.

Old 02-20-2018, 05:55 PM

21,894 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Quote:
A very large number of those people get relocated here for work (including myself)

Any talk of Charlotte being a small city or not the most exciting place/destination gets CLT natives on here so offended. I saw this coming.
Places change over time. People change over time. It's nice when they mesh. Make the best of it while you're here.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
I plan on moving back up north where I'm from in 2019
Good luck but you're flowing against the headwinds. If you're in good job and living situation you might wanna hold tight...a recession is coming (not being political, it's just the way things work). And the south is till trending upward and a good time to invest, invest, invest in the southland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte