U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 05:17 AM

37 posts, read 53,226 times

Advertisements

Iíve heard conflicting things about the level of crime in Charlotte. It makes me a little nervous to move there. I am from Memphis where people get shot in their driveway over basically nothing, so we moved to a small town in PA where there is very little crime. I donít want to go back to being scared like I was in Memphis. Is it safer to move to one of the smaller towns outside of Charlotte?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 05:54 AM

650 posts, read 509,134 times
"Safe" is always a relative term. But in general, Charlotte's crime rate is average for a metro area of 1 million people. There are better and less-better areas in the area, as in any city. But we've lived in a handful of various areas of the county and Charlotte has never given us the impression of "unsafe" compared to them.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:23 AM

3,394 posts, read 3,179,862 times
My best advice is to not move to an area sight unseen. If you find an area you like, make sure you visit a few times at all times of day to get a sense of the place. We've lived down here for 11 years and never had any issues. Sure crime does happen and it can happen anywhere at anytime.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:26 AM

1,450 posts, read 983,537 times
Here's a comparison on 2017 homicides with Charlotte compared to Memphis, Pittsburgh, and Philadelphia. You'll see that despite Charlotte being 29% more populous than Memphis where you have previous experience, it had 57% less homicides last year than Memphis.

Memphis: Population 652,717 ; 200 homicides in 2017 ; Rate of 30.6 homicides per 100,000 people

Charlotte: Population 842,051 ; 86 homicides in 2017 ; Rate of 10.2 homicides per 100,000 people

Pittsburgh: Population 303,625 ; 58 homicides in 2017 ; Rate of 19.1 homicides per 100,000 people

Philadelphia: Population 1,568,000 ; 314 homicides in 2017 ; Rate of 20.0 per 100,000 people

Charlotte typically ranks in the middle for major American cities. It isn't as violent as cities like Memphis or Philadelphia, but its crime rate isn't as low as cities like Seattle or San Diego.

If you are happy in the small town you currently live in, why would you want to move to a larger metro area? Bigger cities with over 2 million people in the metro area are always going to have a lot more crime getting reported in the news and if that makes you uneasy, I'd think living in a small town is the best idea for you.

Safety is going to swing depending on where you live. Wealthy areas of the Philly metro like off Philadelphia Main Line and King of Prussia area are going to be relatively safe compared to crime rates in areas like Camden, NJ or center city Philly in the same metro. The same is true in Charlotte (and really most major cities).

Old 02-26-2018, 07:07 AM

37 posts, read 53,226 times
Thank you guys for the info. The reason for the move is that our closest family is 16 hours away so moving to N.C. would cut that drive in half. My husband has a possible opportunity to move there if he gets a promotion, so that would be a plus as well.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:01 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,124,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyloulou View Post
Thank you guys for the info. The reason for the move is that our closest family is 16 hours away so moving to N.C. would cut that drive in half. My husband has a possible opportunity to move there if he gets a promotion, so that would be a plus as well.

I've personally found the crime to be high here. Perhaps its because I came from a lower crime area but in the 6 (almost 7) months I've been here I've witnessed a drive by shooting, been broken into, was in a store just days prior to someone coming in an murdering a 19 year old clerk, missed a shooting at my food store by 1 day. I've seen schools evacuated more than once on TV for threats of shootings/violent crime. There are murders/violent crime nightly on the news.

I am in a supposedly "nice" area that was recommended to me several times. I also moved from out of state, sight unseen due to husbands last min job change from one part of the city to another. I even live within an HOA community. I personally don't recommend the city to families. North of the city has a cancer cluster issue, the west is airplane noise and crime as does the south. I don't know anything about east of the city. Charlotte was also added to list of deadliest cities. I believe there have been over 80+ murders so far in the city as of 2017. My opinion is unpopular and I'll be bashed by the same several people who either sugar coat or "omit" things but its been my experience. Take it or leave it. There is also another thread about the trash around the city and issues with the constant beggars at the stop lights and intersections. Its seemingly everywhere. I'm not the only one (hence an entire thread) who think its disgusting. Its piled in a lot of areas on the highways, town roads, ditches and even bags in the trees.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 02-26-2018 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-26-2018, 09:11 AM

1,450 posts, read 983,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
My opinion is unpopular and I'll be bashed by the same several people who either sugar coat or "omit" things but its been my experience. Take it or leave it.
Honestly, I think your experience is more likely to be similar to this OP's experience if they moved here. You came from a highly affluent and small metro area to a much larger city that isn't largely wealthy. The OP would be moving from a rural area with little crime and isolated from many of the problems of a big city and would likely find the level of crime outside their tolerance. It really depends on somebody's "baseline." Going from a small town to most major metros is going to result in a big increase in crime.

Like I'm from Los Angeles. There are 60,000 homeless people living on the streets there, tent cities under freeway overpasses, walking paths that have become tent cities, etc... to me, Charlotte seems like a walk in the park on crime and cleanliness. The perspective coming from a smaller city than Charlotte or rural area would likely be very different and I think the OP may have an experience more like you, hence I would advise the OP visits first and thinks about if they want to live in an urbanized metro again.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,124,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Honestly, I think your experience is more likely to be similar to this OP's experience if they moved here. You came from a highly affluent and small metro area to a much larger city that isn't largely wealthy. The OP would be moving from a rural area with little crime and isolated from many of the problems of a big city and would likely find the level of crime outside their tolerance. It really depends on somebody's "baseline." Going from a small town to most major metros is going to result in a big increase in crime.
Agreed. For those of us who did not come from places like this or aren't used to it I can tell you its a very hard pill to swallow. Its also very hard to look past and seemingly seems worse and worse as the days go on.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:41 AM

310 posts, read 169,836 times
The better way to look at the crime rate in a city is to think of it as many small towns instead of looking at the average crime rate as that average is not an accurate depiction of the crime rate in most of the city.

The majority of the city, especially South Charlotte is extremely safe, similar to small town Pennsylvania. The biggest worry is the occasional rash of car break-ins by suburban heroin addicts looking for loose change.

In contrast, there are pockets in town that are relatively crime ridden. Nothing that would compare to the worst areas of Baltimore or Detroit but they skew the average numbers and make it seem like the city is more dangerous than it really is.

Avoid those areas, particularly at night and alone (especially for females) and you should be fine.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:35 AM

110 posts, read 103,177 times
The crime here isn't concentrated in one area so you do really feel it here! At least my friends and family do. Even in seemingly nice areas stores and banks get robbed by gunpoint, innocent people get raped or hurt even on our greenway, parks or even in some pretty prominent shopping areas. If I had the choice I would not move here because it seems like it gets worse daily and our officials seem to have no plan to work on the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte