Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What change would you like done? Made multiple choice enabled.
2 general purpose lanes added 19 61.29%
1 general purpose lane, 1 toll lane added 8 25.81%
2 toll lanes added 0 0%
Double decked option 3 9.68%
Other? Please explain 3 9.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 05:14 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Up until recently the NCDOT didn’t place heavy priority on urban congestion and funding was more about each region getting its “fair share” or roadway projects regardless of actual need. Large cities like Charlotte are still a new and recent thing for the NCDOT to manage and the state has been traditionally dominated by rural minded people from the eastern part of the state.
Hell, even in eastern NC their priorities were off. US-70 is to ENC what I-85 is to the state, yet until the last decade, it was neglected while US-64 & US-264 were upgraded to freeways for nearly half ther length while carrying less traffic than US-70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:59 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Hell, even in eastern NC their priorities were off. US-70 is to ENC what I-85 is to the state, yet until the last decade, it was neglected while US-64 & US-264 were upgraded to freeways for nearly half ther length while carrying less traffic than US-70.
Yeah I agree. 70 goes through a lot more significant towns on its way out to the coast compared to 64 and 264. It definitely should’ve gotten the freeway upgrades before those two corridors. I think it had to do with Hunt being from Wilson and the governor at the time to push those upgrades as well as politicians wanting freeway access from the Triangle area to the outer banks.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:49 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree. 70 goes through a lot more significant towns on its way out to the coast compared to 64 and 264. It definitely should’ve gotten the freeway upgrades before those two corridors. I think it had to do with Hunt being from Wilson and the governor at the time to push those upgrades as well as politicians wanting freeway access from the Triangle area to the outer banks.
As much as I dislike Pat McCrory, I think him signing off on the new scoring process was one of the few things he did right.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:48 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
As much as I dislike Pat McCrory, I think him signing off on the new scoring process was one of the few things he did right.
It was his idea, and its a great contribution to the state.

But I'm kinda sick of hearing "those Eastern NC folks, who were small-town idiots, are to blame for our shortfalls".

I'll take Eastern NC hillbillies over the textile, mountain-close hillbillies around Charlotte any day.

I doubt any of you know much about Eastern NC, like the Historic routes such US17 that have fabulous English crests on some of the road signs.

Y'all vacation at Myrtle Beach, so that in itself raises doubt on your tastes, and no one from Asheboro to the coast would ever even contemplate going to Myrtle Beach . And I know OBX is a long drive, but it's quite sophisticated and understated, which is what folks from North East states want in a vacation spot.

But anyway, before you repeat these common disses of the rest of the state, just pause and refrain if you haven't spent some time there.

With so little NC love coming from Charlotte, I say go ahead secede to SC or "USA" the worst branding idea ever for a city that people confuse with other cities with similar names in WV and New England.

US 64 probably got attention because it's a massively long highway in NC with the mile markers up to around 650 by the time you get to the Outer Banks.

US70 is going to be I-42 once all the bypasses are completed. This route is especially important since it's the lifeline of commerce for Eastern NC and it links several military bases probably some that Charlotteans don't hear much about like Cherry Point which is a marine base & Seymour Johnson Air Force Base. And of course Camp Lejuene and indirectly Fort Bragg.
North Carolina's New and Future Interstates

The old Equity formula for which 30% of highway funds were equally distributed to all of the 17 or so NCDOT districts was unfortunate, but it's gone now, and the scoring procedure is good and I-77 has the top two scoring projects in the whole state.

But believe it or not, about 6 of the top ten are in Wake County, which is commencing several widening projects over the next 5 years. Finally the 1960s section of the Beltline is going to be rebuilt. It's one of several spots in Raleigh that are at a standstill for several hours each weekday.

Last edited by architect77; 01-20-2019 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-20-2019, 11:41 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Y'all vacation at Myrtle Beach, so that in itself raises doubt on your tastes, and no one from Asheboro to the coast would ever even contemplate going to Myrtle Beach . And I know OBX is a long drive, but it's quite sophisticated and understated, which is what folks from North East states want in a vacation spot.
Firstly, folks from Greensboro, Raleigh, and parts of eastern NC also vacation at Myrtle Beach and you're delirious if you don't think that's the case.

Secondly, folks from Charlotte also vacation in Asheville and Charleston. Charleston is as popular of a beach destination for Charlotteans as is Myrtle Beach and as far as vacation destinations go, it doesn't get anymore sophisticated in the Carolinas than Charleston.

Thirdly, Myrtle Beach attracts a good bit of those enlightened Northeasterners that you seem to hold in such high regard, especially for golfing as it has some of the best on the East Coast.

And fourthly, dude GROW UP. It's 2019; do better and stop with these juvenile jabs. You're too old for this.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:16 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
It was his idea, and its a great contribution to the state.

But I'm kinda sick of hearing "those Eastern NC folks, who were small-town idiots, are to blame for our shortfalls".

I'll take Eastern NC hillbillies over the textile, mountain-close hillbillies around Charlotte any day.

I doubt any of you know much about Eastern NC, like the Historic routes such US17 that have fabulous English crests on some of the road signs.

But anyway, before you repeat these common disses of the rest of the state, just pause and refrain if you haven't spent some time there.

With so little NC love coming from Charlotte, I say go ahead secede to SC or "USA" the worst branding idea ever for a city that people confuse with other cities with similar names in WV and New England.

US 64 probably got attention because it's a massively long highway in NC with the mile markers up to around 650 by the time you get to the Outer Banks.

US70 is going to be I-42 once all the bypasses are completed. This route is especially important since it's the lifeline of commerce for Eastern NC and it links several military bases probably some that Charlotteans don't hear much about like Cherry Point which is a marine base & Seymour Johnson Air Force Base. And of course Camp Lejuene and indirectly Fort Bragg.
North Carolina's New and Future Interstates

The old Equity formula for which 30% of highway funds were equally distributed to all of the 17 or so NCDOT districts was unfortunate, but it's gone now, and the scoring procedure is good and I-77 has the top two scoring projects in the whole state.

But believe it or not, about 6 of the top ten are in Wake County, which is commencing several widening projects over the next 5 years. Finally the 1960s section of the Beltline is going to be rebuilt. It's one of several spots in Raleigh that are at a standstill for several hours each weekday.
I’m actually born and raised in Eastern NC and have spent more time there than any other place I’ve lived. Nothing wrong with you believing that urban areas are less important than rural areas when it comes to transportation funding but what is the necessity of the constant attacks on the so called “hillbillies” of NC and your fascination with “sophistication”? Perhaps you should stay on the Atlanta forums and spend less time discussing things with the hillbillies of NC.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:13 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
I’m actually born and raised in Eastern NC and have spent more time there than any other place I’ve lived. Nothing wrong with you believing that urban areas are less important than rural areas when it comes to transportation funding but what is the necessity of the constant attacks on the so called “hillbillies” of NC and your fascination with “sophistication”? Perhaps you should stay on the Atlanta forums and spend less time discussing things with the hillbillies of NC.
And I'm from eastern NC. He knows little to nothing about "real" rural eastern NC other than a disdain for Charlotte for some odd reason. We farmed tobacco, etc. etc. If he thinks rural eastern NC is more sophisticated than the Charlotte metro, so be it. Or that rural eastern NC tops rural central or western NC. We all gotta have something to hang our hat on, it's actually quite sad when you think about it. Gross generalizations and imaginary demarcations that dictate or describe people's habits in one region of the state vs another is simply fkn crazy. In the words of one great Deputy Fife about Ernest T. Bass, " He's a nut".

And, we all know that large urban area tax bases fund many a project throughout other parts of the states. Although a detriment to other parts of the state, if not for the booming metros of Charlotte, Raleigh and to an extent the Triad, many of us would be forced to seek employment opportunities in the ATLs, DC, etc. I don't wanna live in either, been there, done that.

Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
My posts are filled with information.

My posts have always been in response to condescending remarks about the rest of the state, NEVER THE INITIAL, 1ST CRITICISMS.

No one has explained the old and new funding formulas or the challenges of NCDOT as thoroughly as I have, so your empty posts of insults are disregarded.

My disdain is only for misinformed conceit that having 500,000 more people and tall buildings somehow propel Metrolina into a different league from the Triangle & the rest of the Great State of North Carolina.

I only try to inform with more info after statements are made that Raleigh and the Triangle are more hillbilly than Charlotte.

And the Eastern NC stuff has to come from the incorrect assumption that the rest of North Carolina is filled with the same people and same tastes as the ones around Charlotte.

In my 50 years I have never seen anyone in a pair of denim overalls in a fast food restaurant in the Triangle, but I have at the Zaxbys near Harrisburg on NC49.

My posts are never devoid of information that helps educate those of you less familiar with North Carolina.

Coming from rural, tobacco-farming, poor Franklin County bordering Wake, graduating from NC State, then spending the next 30 years in Atlanta, Los Angeles, Boston, NJ and 10 years in NYC, I have a pretty good perspective of how the states stack up with one another.

And the result is even more respect for North Carolina, and that's from the parts I'm most familiar with which doesn't include Charlotte.

So when I hear the state dismissed by people who obviously don't support or know much about the state, I'm gonna call it out, and the ones who stand to benefit are the ones exalting such foolishness.

North Carolineans are known to support every inch within the state's borders.

You would do well to be one of those people.

Last edited by architect77; 01-24-2019 at 01:53 AM..

Old 01-24-2019, 02:11 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I only try to inform with more info after statements are made that Raleigh and the Triangle are more hillbilly than Charlotte.
Still making stuff up just to take more jabs at Charlotte huh? I haven't seen anyone in this thread insulting the residents of eastern NC, but only bureaucrats and government officials.

Quote:
In my 50 years I have never seen anyone in a pair of denim overalls in a fast food restaurant in the Triangle, but I have at the Zaxbys near Harrisburg on NC49.
And this is relevant to the discussion how?

Quote:
So when I hear the state dismissed by people who obviously don't support or know much about the state, I'm gonna call it out, and the ones who stand to benefit are the ones exalting such foolishness.
Folks are criticizing state government and I don't know of one state where that doesn't happen, and it comes from all corners. But by all means, continue to tilt at windmills if that gives you a sense of purpose.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:10 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
My posts are filled with information.

My posts have always been in response to condescending remarks about the rest of the state, NEVER THE INITIAL, 1ST CRITICISMS.

No one has explained the old and new funding formulas or the challenges of NCDOT as thoroughly as I have, so your empty posts of insults are disregarded.

My disdain is only for misinformed conceit that having 500,000 more people and tall buildings somehow propel Metrolina into a different league from the Triangle & the rest of the Great State of North Carolina.

And the Eastern NC stuff has to come from the incorrect assumption that the rest of North Carolina is filled with the same people and same tastes as the ones around Charlotte.

My posts are never devoid of information that helps educate those of you less familiar with North Carolina.

Coming from rural, tobacco-farming, poor Franklin County bordering Wake, graduating from NC State, then spending the next 30 years in Atlanta, Los Angeles, Boston, NJ and 10 years in NYC, I have a pretty good perspective of how the states stack up with one another.

And the result is even more respect for North Carolina, and that's from the parts I'm most familiar with which doesn't include Charlotte.

North Carolineans are known to support every inch within the state's borders.

You would do well to be one of those people.
I see you taking jabs at people who are taking jabs at politicians.

Denim overalls? ROFLMAO! You can see them in the Philadelphia metro & I'm betting in the Atlanta metro. Some years they're in fashion, some years not so much.

What an odd rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte