Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 11:11 PM

34,845 posts, read 30,914,378 times

Advertisements

Quick background. I work in healthcare IT right now running ERP software for a large hospital system in my local area. I've also worked for a tech company in the investment banking space, as well as a core banking software administrator for a retail bank. I'm working in my hometown, but the longer I'm here, the more limiting it is.

I also spent the last three years in Carmel, IN - a very wealthy suburb of Indianapolis. I'd like another Carmel type situation. Wealthy suburban area, potentially with jobs.

I'm a single, 31 year old white guy. I've been to Charlotte three times in the past three months. Things that I like

1) Big, wide open beltway and interstates. I loved the openness of 465 around Indy.
2) Ballantyne. I loved Ballantyne. Are there any formal cities at that level of affluence?
3) Downtown had a lot of energy.
4) Everything seems so much newer than Indy, with a similar spread out feel.

Where are the fintech employers or hospital systems based that need financial systems admins? I may come back this weekend. Looking for craft beer bars or unique African/Indian/Cajun restaurants. What areas should I focus on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 06:29 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,304,860 times
Davidson is a wealthy suburban town, but its very small and the only jobs would be at the college. Huntersville and Cornelius are pretty affluent, probably not on Ballantyne's level, but you might want to check them out.

For restaurants and beer, check out the Noda , Plaza Midwood and Southend neighborhoods.

Charlotte has 2 very large hospital systems, Novant and Atrium, both with huge main facilities near Uptown and lots of satellite hospitals. Most fintech is Uptown, out in north Charlotte near UNC-C and in Ballantyne.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:26 AM

2,379 posts, read 2,627,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Davidson is a wealthy suburban town, but its very small and the only jobs would be at the college. Huntersville and Cornelius are pretty affluent, probably not on Ballantyne's level, but you might want to check them out.
In addition to the college, Davidson has a few big corporate employers.

Ingersoll Rand's ($13B in sales) corporate operations HQ is in Davidson, with about 2,000 employees on a sprawling campus on Beaty Street. They are functionally based in Davidson (including CEO and most of mgmt), but legally HQ'd in Ireland for tax purposes.

MSC Industrial Supply ($2.8B in sales) is also headquartered in Davidson right off 77 on Harbour Pl with about 750 employees in that office.

Then of course you have Fortune 500 Lowe's Home Improvement's headquarters just up 77 on the Mooresville side where they employ thousands.

So there are certainly some corporate employers up in that area, but many do commute into Charlotte or University City.

If you like Ballantyne... you might want to just live in Ballantyne. If living in a separate municipality is very important to you, check out the town of Marvin, NC or Fort Mill, SC which are close to Ballantyne but separate governments from the city of Charlotte.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:09 AM

751 posts, read 922,780 times
South Park might be a good area as well. You'll find more single people up in that area compared to Ballantyne. There's a lot of newer condos/apartments being built in that area with higher price points that drive a more affluent clientele.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:10 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,259,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
So there are certainly some corporate employers up in that area, but many do commute into Charlotte or University City.

If you like Ballantyne... you might want to just live in Ballantyne. If living in a separate municipality is very important to you, check out the town of Marvin, NC or Fort Mill, SC which are close to Ballantyne but separate governments from the city of Charlotte.
This. Fort Mill also has a few big offices as well.

Have you considered the Triangle area of NC as well? If you are looking for an "affluent city," Cary could be worth looking into.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:35 AM

34,845 posts, read 30,914,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
This. Fort Mill also has a few big offices as well.

Have you considered the Triangle area of NC as well? If you are looking for an "affluent city," Cary could be worth looking into.
Somewhat, but it's harder for me to get to and the cost of living is much higher than Charlotte.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:56 AM

751 posts, read 922,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Somewhat, but it's harder for me to get to and the cost of living is much higher than Charlotte.

So, you want to live in an affluent area with a low cost of living?

Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,259,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't keep up with Triangle prices, but I was under the impression they were comparable to the Charlotte metro. Of course within Charlotte there is a big range. I'd find it hard to believe that Cary would be more expensive than places like Ballantyne or Davidson. According to city-data, Cary's median home value in 2016 was $333K, Ballantyne (28277) was $328K, and Davidson's was $452K.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,627,528 times
I would say the Triangle COL is slightly higher, but not much higher. There may be more direct flights to where you need to go though as CLT is a bigger airport.

Old 03-19-2018, 01:04 PM

25 posts, read 24,491 times
Southend for beer!! So many awesome craft breweries and food. Housing prices are on the rise in this area but you may still be able to find something affordable depending on what your price range is (similar to Ballantyne).

I unfortunately am not familiar with fintech, but the largest hospital systems are located near this area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte