Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 02:33 PM

38 posts, read 37,724 times

Advertisements

jfre where are you living now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 02:45 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwiksupra View Post
jfre where are you living now?
I'm pretty much a drifter. I'm in my hometown in Texas at the moment.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:08 PM

No judgement sometimes i wonder why im not more like that. Raleigh isnt bad. Most of western wake county plus wake forest are decent suburbs and safe places to live. But i have to say i think about downtown charlotte at night when making my rounds in downtown raleigh and theres no comparison. Raleigh is a large college town with some decent suburbs.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:18 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Raleigh is a large college town with some decent suburbs.
More or less.

You could say the same about Austin or Columbus (Ohio) - just that they're larger college towns with suburbs.

The Triangle is what it is largely because of all the people who moved there. It was about 750,000 people combined in 1990. Now we're well over two million. They plopped a bunch of subdivisions over tobacco and soybean fields with scarcely updating the infrastructure around it. Too much of the area where I grew up is like that, and so I wasn't all that thrilled to see the same thing somewhere else and have to drive around in it every day. But it has a lot to offer, if you happen to go to college, or you are from the northeast and you want a cheap(er) place to live.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:41 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
I'm quite familiar with both cities and don't really see much difference between them. Charlotte is bigger, of course, but the Triangle has 3 big universities which adds some liveliness Charlotte doesn't have, so it's pretty much a wash.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:16 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
I do like how Charlotte has nice likes, closer to the mountains, better downtown, auto racing, and great golf. Raleigh being boring might not be the best term because im a pretty simple guy but for the few things i do like to do Charlotte fits the bill better. Boating, snow sports, golf, auto racing, fixing up the house etc.
I was going to say I've found Charlotte and the Triangle to be pretty comparable IMO, however based on the above statement the move to Charlotte might not be a bad idea. Boating and Auto Racing are two areas where Charlotte should have a considerable advantage (although I'm not too familiar with Falls or Jordan Lakes - are they not good for boating?). But of course in Charlotte you'd most likely need to be pretty close to Lake Norman or Wylie to enjoy it, and obviously boats aren't cheap.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:40 AM

Boats are cheap but the upkeep is what will get ya. And the whole thing about it being a wash b/w the two i can understand that. Both do have nice suburbs and also crappy suburbs. Lake norman is much nicer than both jordan and falls lake although you can do plenty of boating on jordan and falls as well. As for auto racing of course CLT wins. As for a nice downtown to get drinks or food at night or say a small business meeting CLT wins. More jobs in CLT and higher average pay too. Also CLT is a newer city so things tend to be more clean and appealing. Oh and GOLF CLT wins again.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:42 AM

107 posts, read 195,497 times
Raleigh has no light rail. Charlotte is certainly ahead of the Triangle in this regard...not only with what we have but what is coming...tomorrow in fact!

Old 03-14-2018, 04:11 PM

571 posts, read 715,552 times
Quote:
3 years in raleigh ZERO traffic tickets and can cruise around at 80+mph on daily basis.
Excuse me???

Old 03-17-2018, 11:36 AM

Making an offer on a home in CLT today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte