Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM

24 posts, read 66,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
+1

That's crazy talk! I have plenty of out-of-work friends and family who could tell you that CNN can stick it.

But we have to remember, though, that Charlotte does not equal ALL of NC.

Government jobs? Probably Raleigh then.

"Professional and Business Services?" Could they be any more general?

Education? Well, someone's got to teach all the kids that keep moving here!

Also, don't forget that Forbes said we're all miserable! Does that mean we're all employed, but we hate our jobs? I'm so confused!
Business Times said that the Unemployment rate in the Charlotte area is up to 5.3% right now from 4.6% just a few months ago.

This is not a Hot Job Market, no matter how local Civic Boosters like to spin things. But then again, it is no Detroit either.

There is a demand for Teachers due to the growing population of younger people of child bearing age, and very high turnover rate of teachers, due to poor conditions and pay. Having inexperienced teachers coming in from out of state to teach for a few years and then moving on to greener pastures is not a good thing, but many spinmeisters can find a way to make anything shine.

The recession will hit Charlotte, just like most of the rest of the country. It seems as though with this recession areas that have natural resources, agriculture and medical/pharmaceutical industries will make out the best.

So far Banking, Construction, Real Estate and related industries seem to be the hardest hit industries. All of which this area is very dependent upon for jobs and growth. Hopefully, things won't get too much more worse off, or we could be in for some rough sailing around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadefire View Post
Business Times said that the Unemployment rate in the Charlotte area is up to 5.3% right now from 4.6% just a few months ago.

This is not a Hot Job Market, no matter how local Civic Boosters like to spin things. But then again, it is no Detroit either.

There is a demand for Teachers due to the growing population of younger people of child bearing age, and very high turnover rate of teachers, due to poor conditions and pay. Having inexperienced teachers coming in from out of state to teach for a few years and then moving on to greener pastures is not a good thing, but many spinmeisters can find a way to make anything shine.

The recession will hit Charlotte, just like most of the rest of the country. It seems as though with this recession areas that have natural resources, agriculture and medical/pharmaceutical industries will make out the best.

So far Banking, Construction, Real Estate and related industries seem to be the hardest hit industries. All of which this area is very dependent upon for jobs and growth. Hopefully, things won't get too much more worse off, or we could be in for some rough sailing around here.

Part of what contributes to that unemployment rate is folks from other areas of the country who move here without a job first, who then find out how competitive the job market is here and then need unemployment benefits. This is a mistake countless people seem to make and it unfairly skewers our unemployment rate.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:18 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,422 times
I'm wondering if Forbes Magazine's recent rankings have any connection to this story. Forbes recently listed their "best places for business and careers". Raleigh was #1 on the list and Durham was #12. Perhaps Forbes and CNN are working from the same data.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,487,862 times
I know it really can depend on what industry you are in.

We got jobs fairly easily but many don't.

Dawn

Old 03-26-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Part of what contributes to that unemployment rate is folks from other areas of the country who move here without a job first, who then find out how competitive the job market is here and then need unemployment benefits. This is a mistake countless people seem to make and it unfairly skewers our unemployment rate.
I doubt that very few people, who are moving here without a job, would be eligible for unemployment benefits here or their home state. Most people recieving unemployment must be in their local market and available for work if offered.

Those that are here without jobs generally fall through the statistical cracks, as do the self employed without work(Construction trades), Illegal aliens and others that work outside of the normal W-2 wage earners.

There are some fields that are hiring such as healthcare and teaching, but other than that there are very few professional jobs without a waiting list of people willing to take them.

A little reality and honesty goes a long way to helping people from outside of the area make an intelligent, well-informed decision before moving to the area.

The facts are that the Charlotte area is not well-situated for the current recession. The banking, insurance, trucking, construction and mortgage industries are some of the hardest hit so far, with little encouragement of a quick turnaround. The rapid growth will slow if something isn't done to jump start job growth in the area, which is difficult to do in an economic downturn.

And this economy is very dependent upon growth in general for it's appeal and general feeling of a robust economy. Take away or drastically slow that sprawl and growth and things will seem much slower here than in many other cities.

Old 03-26-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadefire View Post
I doubt that very few people, who are moving here without a job, would be eligible for unemployment benefits here or their home state. Most people recieving unemployment must be in their local market and available for work if offered.

Those that are here without jobs generally fall through the statistical cracks, as do the self employed without work(Construction trades), Illegal aliens and others that work outside of the normal W-2 wage earners.

There are some fields that are hiring such as healthcare and teaching, but other than that there are very few professional jobs without a waiting list of people willing to take them.

A little reality and honesty goes a long way to helping people from outside of the area make an intelligent, well-informed decision before moving to the area.

The facts are that the Charlotte area is not well-situated for the current recession. The banking, insurance, trucking, construction and mortgage industries are some of the hardest hit so far, with little encouragement of a quick turnaround. The rapid growth will slow if something isn't done to jump start job growth in the area, which is difficult to do in an economic downturn.

And this economy is very dependent upon growth in general for it's appeal and general feeling of a robust economy. Take away or drastically slow that sprawl and growth and things will seem much slower here than in many other cities.

Actually, that's not true - you can move here from another state and be eligible for unemployment fairly quickly - I actually know someone who came from Hawaii and is getting great benefits from NC right now. In addition, MANY people follow a spouse here who did get a job and find it takes them months to do the same, so they too apply for unemployment benefits.

Say what you want about Charlotte's market - many people just feel damn lucky to be here and not back in Michigan, Miami, Los Angeles or New York (just to name a few spots around the country )

Old 03-26-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Actually, that's not true - you can move here from another state and be eligible for unemployment fairly quickly - I actually know someone who came from Hawaii and is getting great benefits from NC right now. In addition, MANY people follow a spouse here who did get a job and find it takes them months to do the same, so they too apply for unemployment benefits.

Say what you want about Charlotte's market - many people just feel damn lucky to be here and not back in Michigan, Miami, Los Angeles or New York (just to name a few spots around the country )
If and when someone moves from one state to another without a job, and are able to collect unemployment it is almost always counted against the state from which they were most recently employed. They couldn't move from MI to NC and collect unemployment from NC. They would have to go back onto their MI job to open a claim for unemployment.

Trust me the people that move here without a job are not making the unemployment rate look higher. If anything they are under-represented, making it look lower than it actually is right now.

I am not saying that Charlotte is hell on Earth, but it is far from Utopia either. And I think it is very early in this downturn to say how Charlotte ranks with other large cities, as far as the economic downturn shakes out for the general population.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:11 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I know it really can depend on what industry you are in.

We got jobs fairly easily but many don't.

Dawn
That's correct. The cnn piece listed 3 distinct careers paths (teaching being one and I forget the other two). It didn't say anything about comparing salaries against other major cities.

I'd love for someone to name a city where "good jobs" are so plentiful that just about anyone who wants one can get one. It seems more and more people are yearning for the "roaring late 90s" again.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
That's correct. The cnn piece listed 3 distinct careers paths (teaching being one and I forget the other two). It didn't say anything about comparing salaries against other major cities.

I'd love for someone to name a city where "good jobs" are so plentiful that just about anyone who wants one can get one. It seems more and more people are yearning for the "roaring late 90s" again.
Ah...the dot com days?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 AM

5 posts, read 11,484 times
Well Just a small point here... When people come here without jobs and then apply for un-employement... They dont get the un-employement from North Carolina ... You get it from the state you moved from. Believe me I know first hand about not being able to get a job here. I have huge experience in Procurement management and purchasing and logistics.. 13 yrs worth and I have been relocated here for 4 months and believe me it wasnt by my choice. I came from Florida. And yes the housing market there is in the toilet, but the job market aint. So again when someone comes here and applies for un-employement it has no bearing on North Carolina's un-employement rate....
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte