Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 02:59 PM

3,845 posts, read 7,912,758 times

Advertisements

My sister is thinking of wanting a small homestead and we've been discussing areas. We are both currently in Steele Creek area. Her hubs bounces from the city to Fort Mill for work depending on where he's needed. Any neighborhoods/places that have enough land between homes to be able to have chickens and such (not full scale farm but some chickens and goats) but not be so far in the country it would take EMS 20 mins to get to you if the kiddos fell out of a tree. He'll still have to commute to work so something reasonable.

Anything like that exist within those boundaries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 06:15 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,295,494 times
You should start checking the zoning codes to see which cities/counties allow farm animals. Somewhere in unincorporated York County would be the first place I'd look, based on your criteria. I don't think you're looking for a "neighborhood", but maybe 2-3 acres somewhere thats not too far out of town. Could get expensive, though.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:34 PM

547 posts, read 766,464 times
Try another state/country. Far away from here. Places far from here are not only safer but generally welcoming of goats and chickens.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:13 PM

152 posts, read 191,786 times
Check out the Black Horse Run subdivision in Indian Land.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,250,131 times
I hear Naples Florida is nice

Old 03-20-2018, 05:24 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,295,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Touche! I totally drove right past that.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:42 AM

3,845 posts, read 7,912,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
This isn't for me so you trolls can move along.. I mentioned nothing about my family homesteading.... I'm assuming you didn't even realize that because you simply saw my name on a post and came in to comment without reading.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 03-20-2018 at 09:06 AM..

Old 03-20-2018, 11:03 AM

107 posts, read 110,331 times
I don't think "homestead" is the correct word here. And there aren't many subdivisions that will be happy about a backyard full of goats and chickens. If your sister is serious about this idea she would be better off moving out of the city limits and finding a little farm for sale. At the least, finding a home with some acreage.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,250,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
This isn't for me so you trolls can move along.. I mentioned nothing about my family homesteading.... I'm assuming you didn't even realize that because you simply saw my name on a post and came in to comment without reading.
Oh I read it.

But didn't you say your sister didn't like Charlotte either and wanted to leave too?

You also have made several comments about how you were recommended areas on here that you don't think aren't any good, so 1) I'm surprised you would even ask for recommendations again, and 2) I'm not sure why anyone would give any recommendations knowing that.

But heck, I'll give it a shot. Although first off, I would think you've posted here long enough to know that you haven't given enough information - need at least a budget and your definition of "reasonable commute," plus probably what sort of house they're looking for. To get the probably 2+ acres that would be required, anything decent is going to be $300K+. How does she feel about double-wides? I know you said you don't even like driving past them. Because that's your best chance to get something affordable with some land and no HOA. Depending on commute tolerance to Charlotte but still staying not too far from Fort Mill, there might be some options in the area bound by York, Clover, Rock Hill and Fort Mill; or maybe the Mineral Springs area.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:01 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,043,457 times
Use zillow.com to filter single family homes, up to 300k, with more than 2 acres. There are plenty of options but you will have to answer the question "How far is a reasonable commute?"

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...463_rect/9_zm/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte