U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:08 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,685,585 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I just found out I will be receiving an offer for a position at Fort Detrick in Frederick, MD. If I take the position, we will need to consider moving expenses. Has anyone recently made the move to Maryland or moved from Maryland to Charlotte? I'm looking at all options including

Moving companies

Moving ourselves

Using PODS (not necessarily POD brand)

We obviously want to keep the expenses to a minimum. We basically have a 3 bedroom home to pack up.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The move would likely occur in May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 12:14 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,596,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Hi all,

I just found out I will be receiving an offer for a position at Fort Detrick in Frederick, MD. If I take the position, we will need to consider moving expenses. Has anyone recently made the move to Maryland or moved from Maryland to Charlotte? I'm looking at all options including

Moving companies

Moving ourselves

We obviously want to keep the expenses to a minimum. We basically have a 3 bedroom home to pack up.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The move would likely occur in May.
NO, NO, NO! You cannot go carolina_guy!!

Oh, alright, if you must...but damn I will miss you around here

Signed me,
Pouting

Old 03-25-2008, 01:15 PM

32 posts, read 80,911 times
i'm looking into a NY to charlotte move and found that a company will run about $2000 and pods about $1500

Old 03-25-2008, 01:29 PM

716 posts, read 1,913,179 times
Moving long-distance costs depend on the time of year too. You get discounts for the off-season.

Both times I moved to/from NoVA to Charlotte ran me about $2500 in the fall/early winter. The second time I had them pack everything for me too (which I HIGHLY recommend!!) and that was a good value for me vs. the time I would have spent trying to do it all myself.

I know a good, reputable moving company if you're interested. (pm me)
Otherwise, since you are obviously a veteran of online message boards, you might want to look into the forums at this website: Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams
They were an invaluable resource to me every time I moved. (Which has been 8 times in the last 12 years...)

Old 03-25-2008, 04:26 PM

14,131 posts, read 20,906,379 times
If you decide to move yourself, check into Penske..They are great and great prices. Also, if you have AAA that will earn you a discount also. Make sure you book it online and soon to get best rates! Good luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:27 PM

14,131 posts, read 20,906,379 times
Sorry forgot to add: Check out ABF, they are kinda like a pod but a semi trailer where you have 3 days to load, they ship and then 3 days to unload. Pretty decent rates as per a friend of mine.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 14 days ago)

5,621 posts, read 6,703,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Hi all,

Moving companies

Moving ourselves

carolina_guy I'm in shock! I can't believe you're going. I've still got a million things to ask you about. But if you have to go, I wish you the best of luck.

The only good thing about moving from Carolina is that the move to anyplace else is cheaper. A move to Maryland from NC is cheaper than the other way around, in most cases. I used a POD, but did not take most of my furniture with me. I, along with my brother and BIL packed everything into one POD which ended up costing me $1800. Since we packed carefully ourselves, nothing broke! Given that you have a lot more stuff, you might be needing 2 PODS. It might be cheaper to rent a big truck from another moving vendor. Check the costs of reverse moves and you'll see what I mean. I hope the new job will come with a big,fat raise. Maryland's housing costs are much higher than here and your taxes will go up. All the reasons to move to NC are reversed!

We're going to miss you - but we will expect to hear from you on a regular basis. You'll be eating a lot more seafood tho' - Enjoy!!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:29 PM

3,662 posts, read 8,685,585 times
Wanted to wait until everything was official to respond. Thank you all for your replies. I think we're gonna end up moving ourselves since we will not be getting relo. It looks like it will cost us less than $1,000 to get a truck, hire 2 guys here, and hire 2 more on the other end. Gas isn't included in that, so I plan on adding another $200 to that.

himain, thanks for the info on Penske. My estimates are based on U-Haul so hopefully Penske will be cheaper. I hate U-Haul anyways.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:28 AM

98 posts, read 255,601 times
That sux that you're moving up North. I just moved here from MD 4 months ago and worked right there in Frederick. The company I used to work for did some project management work at Ft. Detrick. If you have any questions about the area let me know and I'll try and help. At least you're moving to Frederick which is a little cheaper than some of the areas that are closer to DC (i.e. Germantown, Gaithersburg, Bethesda, Rockville, etc). Good Luck w/ the move!

Last edited by MD2NC; 04-04-2008 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: misspelled

Old 04-04-2008, 07:59 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,731,247 times
[quote=carolina_guy;3247722]Hi all,

Moving companies

Moving ourselves

We obviously want to keep the expenses to a minimum. We basically have a 3 bedroom home to pack up. \

I moved myself via UHaul and Penski from Florida. (I still live in Fla but have a house in Cornelius) I would not do it again. I am too old for that kind of stuff (if not physically, mentally). Besides, what looks like a simple task isn't that simple. You just keep finding things that you need to ship, ie. the garage, attic, etc. The reason I chose that option was that I sold my condo here in Florida and had to remain her until June 1 and I was able to move bit by bit. If I had had the option to use a pod, I would have gone that route. It all depends on your situation. Of course, the easiest route is to have the movers move you. You have to consider the time elements, expenses and storage facilities at the place which you are heading. Anyway, if you go, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte