U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:07 AM

185 posts, read 224,177 times

Advertisements

Hi TX, I also sent you a PM with some neighborhood ideas, but I agree you need to focus in on the South Park, Myers Park, Dilworth, Cotswold, and surrounding neighborhoods. Union Co would be a definite "no" from me based on your criteria so far. I also feel PP is a little far out and too suburban. Since your LOs are young, you need to focus on neighborhoods feeding to Sharon, Selwyn, Beverly Woods, and Dilworth elementary (off the top of my head - there are more). Those are great public schools and will get you in the semi-urban area you're looking for with lots of convenient shopping, restaurants, and culture. Most of these neighborhoods are going to give you the feel of charm and character that you won't get in a newly built subdivision like in the outer suburbs. Yes, houses in this price range are selling fast, but there ARE available options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:04 AM

79 posts, read 186,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtoMS View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. The more I think about it, the more I am drawn to the neighborhoods closer to uptown and the city center. They really do seem to remind me of home. Some friends of ours from Houston moved to Charlotte a year or two ago and live in Mountainbrook. They absolutely love it. She said I should look at homes zoned to Sharon Elem, Beverly Woods Elem, and Selwyn Elem and both Myers Park HS and South Meck HS. I am aware that these are extremely competitive markets which makes me nervous. We went through the ringer getting our current home in Houston and I expect a repeat where you basically have to walk into a home with a contract already prepared...

Finally, we like the look of the homes in Providence Plantation. My friend didn't know much about this neighborhood, but she did say that Providence HS is very good. Does PP have more of a "burb" feeling? Would I feel like I'm far away from the closer in areas/neighborhoods mentioned before?

Thanks again for your help. My husband has another interview next week and has gotten some feedback that makes us feel like moving to Charlotte is a real possibility..
Hi there - If you haven't already, I'd suggest taking school tours for Bev Woods and Olde Providence and then looking at homes zoned to those. We ended up renting in Dilworth, but were pretty close to buying in the Olde Providence area. If you choose to live in the Beverly Woods zone, you'll also love the proximity to the YMCA that has tons of kids activities.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:20 PM

11 posts, read 5,878 times
Hey and congrats on the move! There are so many great neighborhoods in our area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or