U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:21 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,995,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Efforts to desegregate schools is like treating a symptom and ignoring the disease. The problem is we live in segregated communities. We've not fooling anyone (even the kids) with the hypocrisy of saying kids need to integrate but refusing to do so ourselves. Let's address the root cause - societal segregation and the symptom, school segregation, will fade away.
Thank You!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 08:36 AM

537 posts, read 547,948 times
Are you going to address “societal segregation” by proposing neighborhood quotas? Not sure that’s even legal or desirable.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:47 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Are you going to address “societal segregation” by proposing neighborhood quotas? Not sure that’s even legal or desirable.

No.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:25 AM

Oh I get it, just propose things to the board that sound nice. Carry on.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:39 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,705,030 times
In previous threads on the subject, I believe a suggested solution was convincing affluent people to 1) move to central Mecklenburg County and 2) once they do, actually send their children to the public schools. Not too sure how one would go about that though.

So during the busing years, were the actual neighborhoods much if any more diverse than they are now? Serious question. Not that it makes it any better but it seems these articles are implying that the segregation in neighborhoods is some new phenomenon which I'm not sure I buy into. It was moreso that the busing helped solve it previously, but obviously busing isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Oh I get it, just propose things to the board that sound nice. Carry on.
Given your patronizing response, I'm not sure you're genuinely interested in a conversation over trolling, but I think agreeing on the "issue" is a prerequisite for hypothesizing "solutions." The point of posting the article was to provide a background on the history of our success in integrating CMS schools - to the point of being a model for other districts to follow - to our current state of extreme polarity between class/race in many of our schools. The article did a good job highlighting some of the key decisions that impacted this trend.

I think taking a sober look at the impacts of standardized testing and considering how stripping measures from civic values in social studies, etc. have impacted society, would be a step in the right direction.

All that said, I think your mindset proves my initial somber point - I fear there is a diminished community interest/awareness of the benefits of well-balanced schools and that we will pay for that ignorance in the long term.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 AM

You’re right that I have no interest in buying into your “solution” of regulating where someone lives and who they socialize with.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
You’re right that I have no interest in buying into your “solution” of regulating where someone lives and who they socialize with.
No one is proposing that solution. I haven't said that. Stupid idea.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:10 AM

3,445 posts, read 1,473,193 times
Here in 2018, this is not a racial issue, but a socio-economic one. There are some hard facts at play that are hard for many to look at. But unless we have a 100% truthful examination of this, the black community will continue to suffer. A 2013 Brookings Institute study found that if one does these 3 things (regardless of race), avoid unwed pregnancies, graduate from high school, and get a job, 98% will be out of poverty and 75% will be in the middle class. Sadly, the unwed pregnancy rate in the black community today is an eye-popping 73%. Just this stat alone is decimating the chances of upward mobility of the black community in general. On the other end of the spectrum, Asian Americans have much higher rates of 2-parent homes, graduation rates, and job market participation than the overall population; higher than even the white community. This is proof positive that a strong family and home are the keys to a successful life in Charlotte or anywhere else in America. Until this and other related issues are addressed as the core problems they are, the very community we say we care so much about will continue to go in a downward spiral.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:21 AM

570 posts, read 541,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
More info here:

https://statisticalatlas.com/place/N...-and-Ethnicity

Again, I am not saying that more work doesn't need to be done, but I am proud of what we've accomplished thus far. We need to continue to build bridges...Yet instead of encouraging us to continue in the right direction, the Newsweek piece had a rather negative tone.
This isn't about schools per se, but this is an interesting ranking of cities from least segregated to most segregated. If I'm reading this correctly -- Sacremento (#1) being the least segregated and Detroit (#45) the most segregated -- then Charlotte, at #11, looks pretty good. https://priceonomics.com/the-most-an...es-in-america/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or