Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:00 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

I know I've said this before but I feel like CMS does actually have quite a few diverse schools, many of which that have at least average to above average test scores. These articles seem to like to pick on Charlotte but I'd be curious to see what cities they would list as successful current examples.

For example in terms of high schools, schools such as Myers Park, South Meck, Butler, East Meck, Independence, Mallard Creek, Olympic, Hopewell, and North Meck are all pretty diverse IMO with good to average test scores.

There are really only 3 segregated high schools of high SES in CMS - Ardrey Kell, Hough and Providence, and Ardrey Kell and Hough are on the outer edge of the county. And there are really only 3 segregated high schools of low SES - West Charlotte, Garinger, and Harding. Not saying they are a lost cause but I'd be willing to bet it'd be tough to find an urban area with no low-income/poor performing schools. Even when busing was happening were there not still poor-performing schools? West Charlotte is the only school I ever hear about.

Although one negative I will say is that there are a couple schools in seemingly somewhat suburban areas that are low performing and have a decent % of low SES students (but not even close to Garinger/Harding/WC which are all 90%+ Low SES, and even some of the previously mentioned schools with better performance have a higher % of Low SES students) - Vance, Rocky River and West Meck. West Meck was apparently the lowest performing CMS high school on the most recent NC school report card. I wonder if there is a higher % of people sending their kids to Charter or Private schools in these areas in particular.

Sources: http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartme...Included-1.pdf

Accountability Services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2018, 09:04 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I thought you guys fixed the problem when John Murphy became Superintendent around 1990.

Old 03-30-2018, 02:24 PM

607 posts, read 553,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Once again, the more I ponder over the issue of race relations, the more I wonder: "what's the solution?"
Better question: What's the problem? There is no red-lining anymore. People are free to live where they like. If a black family wants to move next to a white family then great, they have the freedom to do so.

Quote:
I do firmly believe that diversity in our schools is an asset.
Fortunately you have the freedom to move where you like including where you can put your children in a school that meets whatever criteria you like, including diversity. No one is stopping you.

Quote:
And, unlike the source article, I believe we're on the right track - which leads us to: "how do we keep the momentum moving in the right direction?"
Why do you feel the need to concern yourself with what other people are doing?

Take care of you and yours and let others do that too.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:54 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Well done to all, well most, on a “high road” discussion on a topic that cannot be dealt with in a “sound bite.”

Old 03-30-2018, 06:33 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Better question: What's the problem? There is no red-lining anymore. People are free to live where they like. If a black family wants to move next to a white family then great, they have the freedom to do so.
This is true. It's also true the white family has the freedom to move away when more black and brown families exercise their freedoms to move into that same neighborhood. And we know this isn't exactly uncommon.

Quote:
Why do you feel the need to concern yourself with what other people are doing?
Maybe it's because we live in cities and towns where the actions of individuals have the potential to affect the community as a whole? Since the discussion is about CMS schools I'm assuming nobody here is living in some remote area off the grid where your nearest neighbor is 5 miles away.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:28 PM

607 posts, read 553,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is true. It's also true the white family has the freedom to move away when more black and brown families exercise their freedoms to move into that same neighborhood. And we know this isn't exactly uncommon.
And black and brown families have the freedom to move when white people move in the same neighborhood...who cares? The point is that we all have freedom to move as we see fit.

In general people CHOOSE to move near people that share certain characteristics. Same religion, language, cuisine, socio-economic status, proximity to certain industries...etc. It just so happens the result is that people who LOOK similar often end up clustered...by choice. If a spanish speaking family prefers to live away from english speaking families and closer to neighborhoods with more spanish speaking families...that's their choice and its great we all have that freedom.

So again I ask...what's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Maybe it's because we live in cities and towns where the actions of individuals have the potential to affect the community as a whole? Since the discussion is about CMS schools I'm assuming nobody here is living in some remote area off the grid where your nearest neighbor is 5 miles away.
But what's the effect you're having a problem with? Where people live, and by extension where they go to school, isn't perfectly randomized on the basis of race...so that upsets you? People using their freedom to make such decisions bothers you why?

Old 03-31-2018, 01:20 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
And black and brown families have the freedom to move when white people move in the same neighborhood...who cares? The point is that we all have freedom to move as we see fit.

In general people CHOOSE to move near people that share certain characteristics. Same religion, language, cuisine, socio-economic status, proximity to certain industries...etc. It just so happens the result is that people who LOOK similar often end up clustered...by choice. If a spanish speaking family prefers to live away from english speaking families and closer to neighborhoods with more spanish speaking families...that's their choice and its great we all have that freedom.

But what's the effect you're having a problem with? Where people live, and by extension where they go to school, isn't perfectly randomized on the basis of race...so that upsets you? People using their freedom to make such decisions bothers you why?

I think the problem is most people (black, white, yellow or chartreuse) prefer to go to a neighborhood or the closest school, not the one a small group of politicians decree they must attend to balance diversity.

No parent wants a bus ride for their child, regardless of race.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:

I think the argument is that lower income people, the kids especially, don’t really have a choice.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:57 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think the argument is that lower income people, the kids especially, don’t really have a choice.
So are you saying that ONLY low income people don't have a choice, because I always thought Charlotte makes school assignments based on address.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
So are you saying that ONLY low income people don't have a choice, because I always thought Charlotte makes school assignments based on address.
The choice that Ertistic was referring to was more specifically about where one lives. Someone with a higher income has a lot more choices on where to live than someone with a lower income. And for the most part, the household income of a school's population is directly correlated with its test scores. You could argue that some low-income people are that way because of choices they made, but even if that's the case that's not the children's fault and it makes it an uphill battle for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte