U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-22-2018, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,622 posts, read 11,208,079 times
Reputation: 8481

Advertisements

Because it's the best thing for society. My husband did live in Myers Park and his parents were in favor of busing and he had a great high school experience at West Charlotte. I grew up in Fayetteville and when Judge McMillan ruled in favor of integration we were taken out of our second grade classes in the middle of the year and bused across town. I am totally in favor of it having lived it. It was great. My parents were in favor of it too. My mom said as much to me before she passed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-23-2018, 11:08 AM
 
2,828 posts, read 4,134,161 times
Reputation: 6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Because it's the best thing for society. My husband did live in Myers Park and his parents were in favor of busing and he had a great high school experience at West Charlotte. I grew up in Fayetteville and when Judge McMillan ruled in favor of integration we were taken out of our second grade classes in the middle of the year and bused across town. I am totally in favor of it having lived it. It was great. My parents were in favor of it too. My mom said as much to me before she passed away.
I am glad that it worked well for you however, it is not the best thing for society. Forced busing did not solve our problems.

I was also a product of forced busing and I don't know anyone that believes it worked. Many of my friends (black and white) spent hours on a bus when they could have been otherwise engaged. The money spent on additional buses, drivers, maintenance, gas, etc. could have been used wisely. We need to make all schools good instead of saying that a black student needs to sit next to a white student to thrive.

Busing and magnet schools just allow the 'undesirable' schools to remain undesirable. What about the kids at those schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,622 posts, read 11,208,079 times
Reputation: 8481
I am all for equal schools and I want to do whatever we can to make that happen.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-23-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 12:33 PM
 
5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Reputation: 3366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
If a black parent wants their kids in a mostly white school, they can move to that neighborhood... If you can't afford your favorite school, do your best to get the best district you can period.
I think the point is that poor families can't move nearly as easily as middle or upper class families, and they may already be in the "best district they can afford." Essentially telling them to make more money is a lot easier said than done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 01:48 PM
 
986 posts, read 738,289 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think the point is that poor families can't move nearly as easily as middle or upper class families, and they may already be in the "best district they can afford." Essentially telling them to make more money is a lot easier said than done.
Yes. Telling them to make more money or move districts is futile. The message needs to be to get involved in their kids' schools and their kids' lives. Their is no significant difference in funding between "poor" and "rich" schools (other than the free food). The real treasures that "rich" schools have are (1) parental volunteer time and (2) enrichment opportunities provided by parents to their kids outside of school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 02:28 PM
 
2,828 posts, read 4,134,161 times
Reputation: 6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Yes. Telling them to make more money or move districts is futile. The message needs to be to get involved in their kids' schools and their kids' lives. Their is no significant difference in funding between "poor" and "rich" schools (other than the free food). The real treasures that "rich" schools have are (1) parental volunteer time and (2) enrichment opportunities provided by parents to their kids outside of school.
Wrong. Have you checked the PPS (per pupil spending) in 'rich' vs 'poor' schools in CMS? The poorer schools get significantly more money per student than the richer schools. Also, class sizes are smaller in the poorer schools. It has been proven that throwing more money at the problem is not helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 02:31 PM
 
311 posts, read 172,164 times
Reputation: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
The message needs to be to get involved in their kids' schools and their kids' lives. Their is no significant difference in funding between "poor" and "rich" schools (other than the free food). The real treasures that "rich" schools have are (1) parental volunteer time and (2) enrichment opportunities provided by parents to their kids outside of school.
Good points, and busing solves neither of these inequalities.

Like many public policies, it's not about solving anything but about looking like you're trying to solve things.

If you take a high performing school with engaged parents and you bus half of them across town, and bus half the kids from across town back in you have a different school. Sure the building is the same but the kids, the parents, the culture etc is different.

However you've pissed off the half sent across town who now have to wake up at 5am to catch the bus, but you've also pissed off the half that stayed who now have to deal with kids from the other side of town with apathetic or non-existent parents.

This may lessen inequality, but it's akin to cutting off everyone's legs so double leg amputees feel equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 03:40 PM
 
2,156 posts, read 2,354,698 times
Reputation: 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Wrong. Have you checked the PPS (per pupil spending) in 'rich' vs 'poor' schools in CMS? The poorer schools get significantly more money per student than the richer schools. Also, class sizes are smaller in the poorer schools. It has been proven that throwing more money at the problem is not helping.
Absolutely correct. Not only are more local funds spent, but State and Federal funds are greater at lower performing schools once they meet the criteria set forth for low performing schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 04:55 PM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,383,823 times
Reputation: 1407
Many of these responses seem to confirm my original fear, that many Charlotte citizens either 1) don't recognize the costs of a segregated system, or 2) acknowledge the issue but see it as inevitable or earned.

Per pupil spending formulas are only a part of the picture. I'm not sure a comprehensive look validates anything except the fact that communities with resources perform better on standardized tests. I recall my PTA working all year to raise 400 bucks on the west side of Charlotte while Providence passed the hat and came out with 25k for new football scoreboards. Not that it isn't their right to do so - but comparing resources across these schools may result in a different conclusion than one assuming the ones attended by our county's poorest are swimming in cash.

Last edited by Essequamvideri; 04-23-2018 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2018, 05:15 PM
 
2,156 posts, read 2,354,698 times
Reputation: 3103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Many of these responses seem to confirm my original fear, that many Charlotte citizens either 1) don't recognize the costs of a segregated system, or 2) acknowledge the issue but see it as inevitable or earned.

Per pupil spending formulas are only a part of the picture. I'm not sure a comprehensive look validates anything except the fact that communities with resources perform better on standardized tests. I recall my PTA working all year to raise 400 bucks on the west side of Charlotte while Providence passed the hat and came out with 25k for new football scoreboards. Not that it isn't their right to do so - but comparing resources across these schools may result in a different conclusion than one assuming the ones attended by our county's poorest are swimming in cash.
They are "swimming" in local, state, and federal cash compared to non-low performing schools in the same district. Most systems limit the amounts that can be "contributed" by outside sources. I've seen offers of thousands of dollars from municipalities to fund "their" neighborhood schools turned down by the school system unless it was designated as a contribution to ALL schools. (the good old equity rule)
Are you saying a few thousand here and there makes up for local, state, and federal spending on lower performing schools? 25K for scoreboards wouldn't make a dent in the difference in L, S and F funding and certainly doesn't lend 2 cents toward making an academic difference.

Last edited by getatag; 04-23-2018 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:01 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top