U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-24-2018, 07:17 AM
 
318 posts, read 178,269 times
Reputation: 671

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Never say never I guess, but there is about a 0% of bussing like it was done before happening again in CMS. In most cases redistricting is done to relieve overcrowding, which is often the result of higher income people continuing to fill up the higher-performing schools. So what tends to happen is (and not just in CMS, in districts like Union County as well), is the boundaries of higher-performing schools get smaller and the boundaries for lower-performing schools get a little bigger. No one's getting sent from Ardrey Kell to West Charlotte. But you'd think the world is ending with the way parents react to their kids getting moved from a "10" to a "6."
What school a property is sent to can have a significant effect on the value of that property. Homes across the street that are similar in every way can be 10's of thousands of dollars different in market value.

This remains true if busing were to be implemented. The premium spent on homes in the best school districts would still be owed but the benefit would vanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-24-2018, 07:47 AM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,395,435 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Poor areas are rarely made up exceptionally bright people (valedictorians, PhD's, Engineers, etc) because they tend to choose better areas to live in and have the money to do so. Their kids tend to be bright and are sent to the "good" schools in these better areas.

By extension, poor areas are generally made up of a duller cross-section of people. Dull people tend to have dull children. Certainly this isn't an absolute, but the trend is very clear.

This is a ridiculous thought and borders on eugenic theory. You're going to have to provide some sources to support such tripe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 AM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,395,435 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
What school a property is sent to can have a significant effect on the value of that property. Homes across the street that are similar in every way can be 10's of thousands of dollars different in market value.

This remains true if busing were to be implemented. The premium spent on homes in the best school districts would still be owed but the benefit would vanish.

The school board and community is not proposing a return to busing children from schools close to their homes to ones further away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 09:14 AM
 
5,894 posts, read 7,748,067 times
Reputation: 3387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
What school a property is sent to can have a significant effect on the value of that property. Homes across the street that are similar in every way can be 10's of thousands of dollars different in market value.

This remains true if busing were to be implemented. The premium spent on homes in the best school districts would still be owed but the benefit would vanish.
Yeah thanks for proving my point. Losing some property value is not equivalent to the world ending.

For the most part, the only homes being moved are those on the edges of the boundaries. If you are that dead set on a certain school, then move as close to that school as possible. If you want a "guaranteed" good school, move to the city of Mooresville because they only have 1 high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2018, 01:56 PM
 
318 posts, read 178,269 times
Reputation: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
This is a ridiculous thought and borders on eugenic theory. You're going to have to provide some sources to support such tripe.
First off, it has literally nothing to do with eugenics. I'm not at all advocating manipulating people's ability to breed based on desirable/undesirable characteristics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Poor areas are rarely made up exceptionally bright people (valedictorians, PhD's, Engineers, etc) because they tend to choose better areas to live in and have the money to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
By extension, poor areas are generally made up of a duller cross-section of people.
Are you disputing that educated, successful people with good incomes tend to choose to live in neighborhoods that have good schools?

Are you disputing that un-educated, un-successful people with low incomes tend to live in neighborhoods with poor schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Their kids tend to be bright and are sent to the "good" schools in these better areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Dull people tend to have dull children.
Are you disputing that intelligence has a significant genetic component? Or that there's a general tendency for "bright" people to have "bright" children and "dull" people to have "dull" children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2018, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
10,691 posts, read 11,318,772 times
Reputation: 8539
Wealth has nothing to do with intelligence. Wealth has everything to do with opportunities. It's who your family is and who you know and if you're not connected it's taking advantage of opportunities available to you.

School equity is about leveling the playing field for everyone so bright, intelligent kids who are mired in poverty have access to the same opportunities that kids from wealthy well-connected families do.

It's not the fault of the kids that they were born into poor families. Give them the opportunity to lift themselves up by providing economic equality in the schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 PM
 
318 posts, read 178,269 times
Reputation: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Wealth has nothing to do with intelligence. Wealth has everything to do with opportunities. It's who your family is and who you know and if you're not connected it's taking advantage of opportunities available to you.
Wealth is rather strongly correlated with IQ. Of course there are exceptions, dull wealthy people, and smart poor people, but the association is clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
School equity is about leveling the playing field for everyone so bright, intelligent kids who are mired in poverty have access to the same opportunities that kids from wealthy well-connected families do.
Smart kids have a huge leg up on people simply because they're bright...whether rich or poor. Do smart rich people have an advantage over smart poor kids? Sure...but all people aren't perfectly equal. I would say a dumb middle class student isn't as well off long-term as a smart poor student. Trying to completely balance everyone is (1) impossible and (2) tantamount to communism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It's not the fault of the kids that they were born into poor families. Give them the opportunity to lift themselves up by providing economic equality in the schools.
It's not the fault of the kids who were born short.
It's not the fault of the kids who were born ugly.
It's not the fault of the kids who were born dumb....etc.

Often times "bad" schools spend more per student than "good" schools...the problem isn't money. It's the involvement of the parents, it's the inherent potential of the students...throwing money at the problem time after time fails to solve anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 PM
 
2,201 posts, read 2,383,114 times
Reputation: 3146
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Wealth has nothing to do with intelligence. Wealth has everything to do with opportunities. It's who your family is and who you know and if you're not connected it's taking advantage of opportunities available to you.

School equity is about leveling the playing field for everyone so bright, intelligent kids who are mired in poverty have access to the same opportunities that kids from wealthy well-connected families do.

It's not the fault of the kids that they were born into poor families. Give them the opportunity to lift themselves up by providing economic equality in the schools.

Highlighted section in your quote is NOT a selling point for your argument, there is MORE money spent on those schools > economic equality.

It is more than that.... what???? I don't know. If I did I'd do it or yell it from the rooftops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2018, 12:34 PM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,395,435 times
Reputation: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Highlighted section in your quote is NOT a selling point for your argument, there is MORE money spent on those schools > economic equality.

It is more than that.... what???? I don't know. If I did I'd do it or yell it from the rooftops.
https://leadingonopportunity.org/wp-...ity_Report.pdf

I think the opportunity task force did a good job highlighting some key issues. I think you would agree with many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2018, 02:52 PM
 
5,894 posts, read 7,748,067 times
Reputation: 3387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Wealth is rather strongly correlated with IQ. Of course there are exceptions, dull wealthy people, and smart poor people, but the association is clear.



Smart kids have a huge leg up on people simply because they're bright...whether rich or poor. Do smart rich people have an advantage over smart poor kids? Sure...but all people aren't perfectly equal. I would say a dumb middle class student isn't as well off long-term as a smart poor student. Trying to completely balance everyone is (1) impossible and (2) tantamount to communism.
I donít think this post helps your argument.

So you admit that smart rich kids have an advantage over smart poor kids. So would you agree a dumb rich person has a much better chance of staying rich than a dumb poor person has of getting rich? And the big difference is really going to be with people that are neither particularly smart OR dumb, which is the majority of people. Someone who grew up wealthy of average intelligence is also going to be much more likely to stay wealthy (or even middle-class) than someone who grew up poor with a similar intelligence level becoming rich or even middle class.

I also wouldnít argue that thereís a correlation between wealth and IQ. But donít you think the wealth helps the IQ, for example with being able to afford to have a stay-at-home parent, legitimate daycares, cultural activities, private schools, tutors, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:47 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top