U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 11:28 PM

174 posts, read 168,596 times

Advertisements

Hi, my house in Tampa area is up for sale and I'm moving to be near sister/family in Charlotte. She lives in Highland creek. I'd want to be no more than 30 minutes away.
Problem is, Charlotte area real estate seems to be HOT now and houses I looked at even 2 years ago are out of my range now.

I'm retired and it would be just me living in a home. Safety is a concern and my price range is not that great. I'd like a house for no more than 130K. I know, it's not much. I will have a large down payment but must keep mortgage under $400 mol. I've seen some cute places in Kannapolis, but then one relative there said there were bad areas not too far from the house I was looking at, near the Splash park. People keep suggesting it, so it's a bit confusing.

I'm not looking for nor can I afford, a Mcmansion, but a cottage or small home in good condition, even refurbished would be great. I have transportation and not worried about school performance scores.

Some recommendations were : Belmont, Cramerton, Denver, Tega Cay, China Grove, Landis, Locust, Harrisburg, Midland, Mooresville, Mt. Pleasant, and others within area I could drive from to my sisters house.

Please advise. Is Kannapolis crime ridden in certain areas? It seemed a choice, now I'm not so sure. My nephew/nieces are helping in the shopping, but I'll make final decision on the place.

THANK YOU for reading. I appreciate this forum and all the good it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 06:31 AM

3,416 posts, read 3,224,610 times
Kannapolis does have some crime in some areas. All cities do. I'm a little surprised that there is crime around that park that has the splash pad. That is a popular place in the summer and around Christmas time with the train, Santa and carousel. The YMCA of Kannapolis is also right at that park as well.

Tega Cay would be a long drive to your sister's house and I would take it off the list depending on how often you planned to visit.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:58 AM

5,889 posts, read 7,746,215 times
I'm not sure if I'd say that Kannapolis is "crime ridden," but as mentioned it might have some crime. I'd just recommend checking out the crime stats for anywhere you are considering.

Yeah Tega Cay is definitely the furthest, but even some of those other areas mentioned are probably going to be between 30-40 minutes, such as Cramerton, Denver, China Grove, Locust, Mt. Pleasant.

I'd maybe suggest the area of Charlotte along the NW quadrant of 485, parts of either the 28214 or 28216 zip codes, and then maybe even into Mt. Holly. If you are near 485 that'd be a pretty easy drive to Highland Creek. But again, just be sure to check crime ratings for any specific house you are looking at.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Default Thanks on the moving advice and ==

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Kannapolis does have some crime in some areas. All cities do. I'm a little surprised that there is crime around that park that has the splash pad. That is a popular place in the summer and around Christmas time with the train, Santa and carousel. The YMCA of Kannapolis is also right at that park as well.

Tega Cay would be a long drive to your sister's house and I would take it off the list depending on how often you planned to visit.
Thanks Riley, my nephew seemed to think that within a mile or so, it looked like a ghetto, or dumpy with crime. The house is on Valley Street, walking distance to the Splash park - the OTHER area my nephew was speaking of was further away, but he thought it was scary. I'm frustrated cause the home prices really soared and I waited too long for a "bargain", but it is what it is, and I am moving now.

I wasn't going to consider a typical mobile home, but I'm considering the nicer, newer ones - unless it has a "garden tub" which I detest ! lol You have been helpful with some ques. I've had in the past and I respect y our opinion . Thanks.

Last edited by debnova; 04-02-2018 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: left title out

Old 04-02-2018, 10:16 AM

Talking Thank you, I appreciate your incite and--

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I'm not sure if I'd say that Kannapolis is "crime ridden," but as mentioned it might have some crime. I'd just recommend checking out the crime stats for anywhere you are considering.

Yeah Tega Cay is definitely the furthest, but even some of those other areas mentioned are probably going to be between 30-40 minutes, such as Cramerton, Denver, China Grove, Locust, Mt. Pleasant.

I'd maybe suggest the area of Charlotte along the NW quadrant of 485, parts of either the 28214 or 28216 zip codes, and then maybe even into Mt. Holly. If you are near 485 that'd be a pretty easy drive to Highland Creek. But again, just be sure to check crime ratings for any specific house you are looking at.
I will take your advice and look there. Houses in MY price range just go very fast, Very. My nephew saw a place in Denver and said he got there in 20 or so minutes. BUT, he is a maniac driver !!!

OK, I am going to research. I am on all the real estate sites (zillow, trulia etc) and we are trying to find a place before others. Maybe some investors are buying in my price range to flip the house yet again.

THEN I have to see if I can move right in or maybe rent till deal is found and done. That's a job, too.
Family is very important and that's why I'm moving. NC will be more expensive for me, we have no state tax in florida. But it's worth it.
Thanks, I will continue to monitor and ask questions. Deb

Old 04-02-2018, 07:00 PM

378 posts, read 226,986 times
debnova, Concord? 704 Union Cemetery Rd SW, Concord $138K 4 brs 1 ba 1,247 sq ft.
www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/704-Union-Cemetery-Rd-SW_Concord_NC_28027_M60959-73797#photo16

Old 04-04-2018, 06:31 AM

Default Thanks -

Thanks for the listing. I will run it by my "helpers" in Charlotte area. deb

Old 04-05-2018, 10:05 AM

25 posts, read 17,462 times
What about townhomes? You may have better luck finding something within your price range and still be close to family.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:37 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,531,647 times
I'd still look at different areas of Concord and Kannapolis. I'd lok at Gastonia and Kings Mountain too. I, obviously, wouldn't get a home in a crime ridden neighborhood. But, generally, if you have a neighborhood that is near a not-so-good area, yet you just stay out of those areas, you should be fine. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:42 AM

718 posts, read 729,308 times
Check out Robyns Glen Subdivsions. Close to HC and homes close to your range. A little gem not many people ever talk about ...Youre welcome lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte