U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:33 AM

10,635 posts, read 11,239,796 times

Advertisements

Greenways are not unique to North Carolina. Like BC1960 said it's a common term.

Sometimes they're paved, sometimes they're not. They're for folks to bike and jog and walk the dog along. I've never heard of the term used when it doesn't mean a path of some sort.

You can see more about Kannapolis's greenways here: http://www.kannapolisnc.gov/Governme...tion/Greenways

https://www.carolinathreadtrailmap.o...treet-greenway

Last edited by poppydog; 04-17-2018 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:18 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,385,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNicole View Post
Greenway system is awesome. You may want to rethink living on or near one though. We have friends that live near the greenway in Matthews and people actually camp in the woods behind their house. They have had lots of issues w/ people coming off at night and wandering around their yard.

This is very common, misguided advice. Being close to a greenway has NO negative impact on crime of any sort. What may be shocking for many chicken little nervous nancies that fear their neighbors - crime actually has been shown to go DOWN in areas where greenways are developed. I think those with a natural fear of strangers/others seem to envision greenways as some convenient path for crime/loitering, when study after study has proven they are not.

Stop spreading the fear! Your friends have "lots of issues with people coming off at night and wandering around their yard"? I call bovine scatology on that one.

I 100% agree that many will PERCEIVE the risk as greater. But they are wrong! You aren't less safe living on a greenway. Many studies have used actual facts and data to document this truth.

https://depts.washington.edu/hhwb/Thm_Crime.html

"Those living near a greenway may have concerns about crime. A study examined crime spill-over from a 5-mile greenway in Boston.16 Police calls regarding personal or property crime adjacent to the trail were compared to calls from houses further away over two years. No significant increase in crime was found for those living next to the corridor. In fact, there was less crime, as compared to houses bordering quiet commercial streets, and significantly less crime than for those buildings abutting a busy arterial street."

http://downtowngreenway.org/wp-conte...ommunities.pdf

https://news.ncsu.edu/2017/02/greenways-chicago-crime/

https://cdr.lib.unc.edu/indexablecon...3-a3a4d3d5106b

Old 04-17-2018, 07:04 PM
NDL

3,150 posts, read 3,621,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNicole View Post
Greenway system is awesome. You may want to rethink living on or near one though. We have friends that live near the greenway in Matthews and people actually camp in the woods behind their house. They have had lots of issues w/ people coming off at night and wandering around their yard.
Is there any difference between loitering that may occur on a greenway, as compared with/to loitering that may occur at a neighborhood school, park, or shopping centre? No.

People will always use whatever venue is available to them - greenway or not. In NY, it was common for residents to complain when their house backed up to a schoolyard or park.

The great thing about Charlotte's greenways is that they are maintained; in NY, walking paths were often covered with severe overgrowth.

Charlotte's greenways also provide opportunities for learning, as plant species and animals are often identified on trail signage...again, there was little of this in NY.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:26 AM

110 posts, read 103,962 times
Well, truth is they do have lots of trouble and it does come from the Greenway especially in the evening into night hours when summer here. Post all the articles you want, just trying to make the person aware who seems to not be familiar with a greenway system. They are working on it at least:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrFfgP-SGuc

Old 04-18-2018, 05:42 AM

Haha. Figured you were using a fear based local newscast as your source.

The reason I cite studies is that they are conducted with methods and reviewed by peers to make sure they are accurate. The only interest that news piece has is getting viewers. Sadly, scaring people will ensure that.

Telling people that they will face more crime if they live near a greenway is bad information based on fear - not on truth. It's understandable and a logical premise - but that doesn't make it true.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:22 AM

5,872 posts, read 7,712,811 times
To be fair that poster did say the greenway system is "awesome" earlier. She's overstating the crime but as another poster mentioned there is somewhat of a lack of privacy if you live directly on the greenway.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
To be fair that poster did say the greenway system is "awesome" earlier. She's overstating the crime but as another poster mentioned there is somewhat of a lack of privacy if you live directly on the greenway.

For sure.

I'm a bit sensitive to the crime comment as it is unwarranted. There is a precedent of smear campaigns playing off of rational fears like the 2 mentioned on this thread to fight greenway development. Sadly, they have been effective at stoking irrational fears. When you look into the data and learn that greenway buildout actually reduces crime, I'm not sure what there is to debate. They are cheap to build/maintain and increase connectivity in many places, provide great opportunities for outdoor recreation and healthy living. It is a huge upside for quality of life with limited costs/risks. It's a shame when fear of others can stifle a layup for the community.

Those praising the current state may not realize just how ineffective we have been at developing greenways in the Mecklenburg County. In 1999, the Mecklenburg county commissioners approved a 10-year master plan goal of 184.9 miles. But by 2008, the county had constructed only 30 miles of trails. The county’s 2008 Greenway Master Plan offered a 10-year goal “[t]o construct 61.9 miles of new greenway trail by 2018, bringing the total miles of constructed greenway trail to 129.” It’s 2018, and Mecklenburg County has only 47 miles of developed greenways.

A vision exists (there isn’t enough commitment to even call it a “plan”) of a 200-mile greenway network in Mecklenburg County.

Anyone that lives in Charlotte and drives a car should be HUGE advocate for the rapid buildout of our greenway system. We have an advocacy group called Greenways for Mecklenburg that provides a good place to get involved.

Greenways for Mecklenburg

There are also groups specific to trails like the Cross Charlotte trail, that will be impactful once built:

Cross Charlotte Trail (XCLT)

There is a lot of science that goes into the way greenways are constructed to fight fears of safety (despite it being safe anyway). One of those is increasing visibility and sight lines. This can result in loss of "privacy" hedges/overgrowth, but I guess you've got to pick your poison. Personally, I think living on a greenway is an asset as a buyer, not a detriment, especially with congestion continuing like it is and the system growing closer to a network, where living on the greenway will mean greater access to amenities and not just a nature walk. There is a reason it is touted on real estate ads of homes that live on them and not avoided. That's not to say everyone agrees. But everyone doesn't think the earth is round either, and it is.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:02 AM

We live very close to a greenway in Chapel Hill. I have not seen any increase in crime since they built it (wasn't here when we bought the house) and we love living so close to it.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:50 AM

110 posts, read 103,962 times
Yes, love our greenway system. Just addressing the person's question with what I know about the system. I used to run daily during my son's soccer practice with a friend near Sardis and LOVED it. However, I would not ever recommend being alone!

Old 04-18-2018, 05:00 PM

I walk on the greenways in Chapel Hill and Durham alone all the time. I just don't think it's a big deal. There are usually plenty of other folks around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or