U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 33,922 times

Advertisements

Can anyone clarify the rules about having a home based business in Mecklenburg County? I am relocating with my cabinetry business and would like to work out of my home, possibly in a detached garage or basement with access. Any suggestions on areas that this is permissable?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 05:04 PM

35,886 posts, read 62,047,433 times
Check this link out and see if it answers any of your questions:

Privilege Business License Tax (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Tax+Collections/Business+Taxes/Privilege+Business+License+Tax.htm - broken link)

If not, post and I will see what else I can find for you. Secretary of State has further info on that website.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:10 PM

1,887 posts, read 5,270,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastali View Post
Can anyone clarify the rules about having a home based business in Mecklenburg County? I am relocating with my cabinetry business and would like to work out of my home, possibly in a detached garage or basement with access. Any suggestions on areas that this is permissable?
Also make sure it's permitted according to any homeowners association regulations, if there are any for the particular home.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:29 AM

714 posts, read 1,794,447 times
A few years ago when I tried my hand at my own business, it was a relatively easy process.

I do remember I had to purchase a Privlege/Business License, and I had to go through the Meck. county zoning board as well as the usual register of deeds to register the business.

A couple of Zoning issues I remember were that there were strict regulations around signs being posted on the dwelling, and there were regulations about how much parking your customers could do at the house. I can't quote you specifics, but I do remember those things being important. (FTR, I was running a graphics consulting business, so neither of those issues really applied to me...)

That link previously posted should help you a lot. What I couldn't find, I called about and the people who answered the phone were surprisingly helpful, so don't hesitate to do so.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:51 AM

236 posts, read 463,402 times
What's the deal with the Business License? My wife and I are trying to start a home-based business in /marketing/advertising services for small businesses. Is the license expensive? We're just trying to make a little supplemental income here, so if it costs a lot it might not be worth it for us to start our business.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 AM

714 posts, read 1,794,447 times
A business license is required for anyone doing business in Mecklenburg Co.

From the link above:
Q. How much does a Privilege/Business License cost?
A. Fees vary depending on the type of business. Many businesses are charged based on gross receipts at a rate of $0.60 per $1,000 (minimum tax is $50; maximum is $10,000). Businesses subject to the gross receipts tax may also be taxed at a flat rate and certain types of businesses must pay both City and County taxes for licenses. Please contact the Business Tax Collections Office at 704-336-6315 for more details.

Zoning
Can I operate a business from my residence?

To operate a home-based business, you must obtain a Zoning Customary Home Occupation Permit and a Business License. Apply in person for the permit at the Hal Marshall Service Center, 700 N. Tryon Street. The Zoning Counter is located on the main floor.

There is a one-time flat fee of $50.00 for this permit. The permit is valid as long as you live at the location which is being permitted. Complete the Zoning Use Application and the Customary Home Occupation Compliance Form. These forms are available in the lobby. The zoning staff member will need these two forms as well as the Business License Application (heavy paper card) to process your permit request.

After obtaining zoning approval and a local business license, the home business proprietor should also contact the following offices:

* Engineering & Property Management Permit Writing Division to apply for a permit if modifications to the structure are required. Phone 704-336-3803.
* Register of Deeds, 720 E. Fourth Street, to register the business name. Phone 704-336-6095.
* Business Listing Department, 720 E. Fourth Street, to list business property. Phone 704-336-6382.
* N.C. Department of Revenue, 500 W. Trade St., to obtain a state sales tax number if goods are to be sold. Phone 704-342-6121.
* Internal Revenue Services to obtain information for a Federal Tax ID number. Phone 1-800-829-1040.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte