U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 06:02 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,389,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
It's amazing; the things people worry about.

We either need to do a better job at making people understand statistics, or to show the cost of stressing and worry. Perhaps both.

Worrying about hurricanes is an awful way to live! Come on down to Charlotte and enjoy it for what it is. Heck, dance in a rain storm this spring/summer if you have the chance. Life is frankly too short, and too unpredictable to worry about things like hurricanes in Charlotte, NC.
Seriously. First a post trying to decide where to live based on the unbelievably remote and random chance of tornadoes; now one deciding based on hurricanes. So stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 06:25 PM

21,898 posts, read 27,173,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiates View Post
So do you think Greenville SC would be a good choice,far from the ocean,so less impacted from hurricanes and flood?
Did you pay any attention to the hurricanes last year? Follow the tracks.

The rule of thumb is any east coast state + eastern Pennsylvania COULD take a hit from a hurricane.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:29 PM

5,875 posts, read 7,714,524 times
I believe Charleston is a legitimate hurricane risk though. Might be worth asking on that board (or searching past threads as Iím sure itís been asked before).

Of course there are other factors. Do you need to find job(s)? My understanding is that unless you work for Boeing or in the tourism industry, the job market is a little tough in Charleston. How important is being close to the beach?

Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 AM

10 posts, read 4,781 times
To the OP, I am a Charleston native and I lived through Hurricane Hugo, which was a direct strike to Charleston as a Category 4. I have seen many hurricanes roll in and up the coast. Honestly, I feel fortunate because Charleston dips in a little bit from it's surrounding areas making a direct hit less likely. Other than Hurricane Hugo that hit in 1989, we have had minor instances of hurricanes rolling up the coast versus a direct hit. When a Hurricane rolls up the coast we get some wind and rain (a bad storm really) and mild damage. Areas like Florida and the Outer Banks of NC jet out into the ocean and are therefore, much more susceptible to more damage. In the four decades that I have lived in Charleston we have received one major hit, several brushes up the coast, and many hurricane misses.

When a hurricane is forecast, the state watches it and if it poses a threat they order evacuations. Coastal areas my be mandatory but normally it is all voluntary. This happens days ahead of the storm. Most often the storm changes direction and everyone comes back home. I only evacuate if a storm is a Category 3 or higher. Not that I am suggesting not to evacuate. It is a personal decision of what one feels comfortable with. I am ok with 2 and under, but above 2 and I leave.

Regarding damage, if you are within 100 miles from the coast you need to carry wind and hail in your home owner's insurance. The cost of wind and hail is in direct proportion to your proximity to the ocean. However, unless you are on the beach, the cost of insurance is surprisingly modest, considering the risk of hurricane. I think this is because in a tropical storm or minor hurricane, damage is normally minimal. A major hurricane is another matter but that is why all homeowners should insure their property.

In summary, I do not think that you should be so worried about hurricanes. They happen. But the good thing is that we get warning when they happen and that allows us to prepare. Dare I say this but I enjoy hurricanes. Perhaps I should have been a meteorologist.

Hope this has been useful data for you.

Best to you.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:51 AM

10,639 posts, read 11,243,752 times
Everywhere in the Southeast is susceptible to the effects of hurricanes including Greenville SC and the North Carolina Mountains. When Hurricane Hugo came through Charleston and then on to Charlotte it also traveled on to the NC Mountains and caused a lot of damage there. But as others said that's a once in 25 years phenomenon, AND with hurricanes you have days and days of warnings — plenty of time to get out of the way.

Maybe spend some time on this page: Storm Prediction Center WCM Page You can compare your current location to the places you're considering.

If weather is really an anxiety factor for you, maybe consider the Pacific Northwest?

We have severe thunderstorms every summer without fail. These can have damaging straight line winds which can do as much damage to an individual house as a tornado or hurricane.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:09 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,386,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Everywhere in the Southeast is susceptible to the effects of hurricanes including Greenville SC and the North Carolina Mountains. When Hurricane Hugo came through Charleston and then on to Charlotte it also traveled on to the NC Mountains and caused a lot of damage there. But as others said that's a once in 25 years phenomenon, AND with hurricanes you have days and days of warnings ó plenty of time to get out of the way.

Maybe spend some time on this page: Storm Prediction Center WCM Page You can compare your current location to the places you're considering.

If weather is really an anxiety factor for you, maybe consider the Pacific Northwest?

We have severe thunderstorms every summer without fail. These can have damaging straight line winds which can do as much damage to an individual house as a tornado or hurricane.
Pacific Northwest?

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...really-big-one

Talk about anxiety inducing!

Old 04-21-2018, 10:33 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,205,239 times
OP - just move to New Mexico. Problem solved.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Everywhere in the Southeast is susceptible to the effects of hurricanes including Greenville SC and the North Carolina Mountains. When Hurricane Hugo came through Charleston and then on to Charlotte it also traveled on to the NC Mountains and caused a lot of damage there. But as others said that's a once in 25 years phenomenon, AND with hurricanes you have days and days of warnings ó plenty of time to get out of the way.

I think it's all relative. Most places either have some risk of hurricanes, tornadoes, or horrible winter weather. It's a matter of picking your poison.

As to Atlantic hurricanes, the danger to the most people is if they get into the Gulf Stream, which rides near the coast until it gets to Atlantic City, when it goes east into the ocean, & becomes a fish storm, potentially getting some contact with Long Island.

The chance of the storm making landfall at a random point & travelling across a path of land is there but the key word is random. The chance is there to be a random point where a hurricane makes landfall but there's also about the same chance of winning a lottery.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:00 AM

2,067 posts, read 656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
That won't work. They have, on average, 10 tornadoes per year in NM.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I was thinking that I don't remember hearing of weather events in New Mexico, but, then, maybe I just didn't pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or