Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:25 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times

Advertisements

I think the poster was more commenting that OP was "concerned" about diversity, but only seems to be considering schools made up of mostly high socioeconomic status students. So they kinda want diversity, but not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 08:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,833,772 times
Charlotte will be whatever you make it. If you show up and try to get along with your neighbors, you'll be in good shape. If you show up with a chip on your shoulder, I suppose you can figure out the outcome.

If you're going to work in Matthews, or nearby, I'd recommend looking no further than 10 miles from work. I'd say the same for just about any work location, assuming its possible. Traffic can be a bit of a pain in the mornings.

My best advice would be to come for a week and just get out and ride. Charlotte is fairly easy to navigate once you learn the major street names, the "spokes". Independence, Providence, Monroe, South Blvd, etc.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:21 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think the poster was more commenting that OP was "concerned" about diversity, but only seems to be considering schools made up of mostly high socioeconomic status students. So they kinda want diversity, but not really.
nothing wrong with wanting the best of both worlds even if it's hard to find. Wanting or being concerned with diversity doesn't mean they want everyone to look like them. Just enough people to feel comfortable and each person has a different criteria/percentage for what's acceptable.

I went to a PWI in high school and wouldn't want my kids to have the same experience. School was great but the difference in discipline and lack of diversity was frustrating. I want my kid to have a good education AND not feel like they are alone in school/after school.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:58 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,819 times
If you are concerned about school diversity, get out of NY ASAP and move to Charlotte. The NYC metro has the most segregated school systems in the US. The NY Senators were also instrumental in ensuring that the 1964 Civil Rights effectively exempted Northern cities from desegregation.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0a06d5804bdf0

Old 05-15-2018, 12:34 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,695,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
If you are concerned about school diversity, get out of NY ASAP and move to Charlotte. The NYC metro has the most segregated school systems in the US. The NY Senators were also instrumental in ensuring that the 1964 Civil Rights effectively exempted Northern cities from desegregation.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0a06d5804bdf0
People moving from the Northeast are often shocked we largely have county-wide school systems in North Carolina and become the biggest proponents for separating off wealthy areas of the city from other students / breaking up school districts. Up North you can carve a small school district with one high school for an affluent community, strategically cutting certain neighborhoods out of the school district and be worlds away from your poorer neighbors just 5 miles down the road.

Old 05-15-2018, 02:52 PM

607 posts, read 554,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
People moving from the Northeast are often shocked we largely have county-wide school systems in North Carolina and become the biggest proponents for separating off wealthy areas of the city from other students / breaking up school districts. Up North you can carve a small school district with one high school for an affluent community, strategically cutting certain neighborhoods out of the school district and be worlds away from your poorer neighbors just 5 miles down the road.
In both the Northeast and in Charlotte, when people are given the choice, they choose to live near people like them. Whether it's race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, or socio-economic status...the general trend is there for anyone to see.

Much of the Northeast is broken down into towns even in the high-density areas, unlike Charlotte which is just a big town broken into pockets that elsewhere would be their own town. These pockets are very much like the Northeast that they're racially and economically stratified.

CMS is not exactly the bastion of integration that some want it to be. If you look at the overall numbers it looks very diverse but when you look at many individual schools they are much more homogenous than the overall numbers would have you think. Furthermore, the CMS demographics aren't exactly a match for the overall demographics in Charlotte.

Charlotte: (W) 45%, (B) 35%, (H) 13% (A) 5%
CMS: (W) 28%, (B) 38%, (H) 24% (A) 6%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlo...a#Demographics
http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartme...y%20Report.pdf

Old 05-15-2018, 04:57 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,695,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eristic1 View Post
Furthermore, the CMS demographics aren't exactly a match for the overall demographics in Charlotte.

Charlotte: (W) 45%, (B) 35%, (H) 13% (A) 5%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlo...a#Demographics
http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartme...y%20Report.pdf
That is actually a pretty close match to the school age population in Charlotte. Of the population in Charlotte between 5 - 19 years of age:

Charlotte (school age): (W) 34%, (B) 41%, (H) 20% (A) 6%

Overall population numbers skew school enrollment numbers because white people are below replacement level on birth rate (deciding not to have kids or trying too late) and white people make up the majority of the elderly without a school age child at home.

In most areas across the country Hispanics will make up a bigger portion of school enrollment than they do of the overall population currently because the population group skews young.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 1,434 times
If “diversity” is a top concern when picking a school system then your priorities are way out of order.

Has there been a study that shows a blacks kids test scores go up if he sits next to a white kid? Kids mostly self segregate in school and social groups anyway. The boomer blue hairs without kids just think this is a good topic to virtue signal on.

Back to the main point. There are plenty of black or minority neighborhoods in this area. With a home budget such as yours, you are privileged enough to have your pick. If a neighborhood doesn’t fit your racial wants then take your racism elsewhere.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:10 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,277,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph11 View Post
If “diversity” is a top concern when picking a school system then your priorities are way out of order.

Has there been a study that shows a blacks kids test scores go up if he sits next to a white kid? Kids mostly self segregate in school and social groups anyway. The boomer blue hairs without kids just think this is a good topic to virtue signal on.

Back to the main point. There are plenty of black or minority neighborhoods in this area. With a home budget such as yours, you are privileged enough to have your pick. If a neighborhood doesn’t fit your racial wants then take your racism elsewhere.
How are you going to define someone else's priority? It might not be that important to you but test scores aren't the end all. I do notice that if a person uses the word "diversity" a lot of you will flip out. However, I guarantee if a school is 90% minority, no matter the achievement level, you'd probably not opt to send your child there. That's the privilege of being in the majority (mostly anywhere in the US), you don't need to make such a request, it's a given asides from a few areas in town, and it's easy enough to use language on these forums to quickly identify those areas.

Labeling a minority as racist for pursing areas/schools with other minorities is a classic deflection tactic used by racist.

That said, cities like Charlotte and many high growth southern cities tend to be more integrated for a variety of reasons. Many times a lot of people from other parts of the country don't realize that aspect. So there are many neighborhoods and schools that will meet the OPs request. See how you handle that without creating a nonsensical rant about racism and victim mentality.

If I flipped out every time someone casually uses terms like "low income", "thugs", "bad part of town", etc to refer to you know who, then I'd be in an insane asylum....even at work. So, if the word "diversity" causes you to throw a fit I might incorporate it into my daily/weekly lingo. I've been searching for something....for years, to level the playing field.

Old 05-16-2018, 07:04 AM

751 posts, read 934,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph11 View Post

Kids go to school to learn. Some parents view learning as something larger than achieving good test scores. Being exposed to a socially and economically diverse set of peers is a cultural form of learning that some parents value at or above that of general textbook learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte