U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2008, 05:16 PM

4 posts, read 16,152 times

Advertisements

I posted on here yesterday regarding potential areas to live in Charlotte, but as I was reading someones post relating to Charlotte being a bad city for singles I thought it may be better to look for a good neighborhood for a single professional. I will be 27 when I move and will be part of the Charlotte banking industry. I'm moving from my current location Roanoke in part because it lacks a healthy number of single young professionals, or even worse, young professionals in general. Does anyone know of any good neighborhoods for single professionals or any good activities for singles in Charlotte? Any suggestions would be helpful in evaluating my move to Charlotte.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 PM

624 posts, read 1,888,670 times
Your best bet is to first investigate these threads which one of the moderators put together - kind of sums up some previous post.

Threads on the Single Scene, Charlotte Metro
Threads on Neighborhoods of the area

The general jist of the threads will eventually point your towards uptown if you want to live right in the heart of the city - where there are a good amount of young professionals. If you don't want to be right in the middle of things, you'll probably start looking towards Huntersville (north of Charlotte) or the Ballantyne (south of Charlotte) areas. Both are considered to be generally the safer areas of Charlotte (but from the sounds of things, like most cities, most areas are safe anywhere in the city)

Activity wise, when I move down there (I'm a 23 y/o young professional and not solely devoted to the bar scene) I'm looking to join some of the groups mentioned in the singles threads like CHOA, the young affiliates of the mint museum...also a good number of people recommend joining a church to build up relationships quickly whichever neighborhood you choose to move to.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 PM

98 posts, read 303,020 times
I recommend looking at Uptown, Dilworth, South End, or the South Park area. I'm relatively new to this area and have had limited luck meeting other young singles but honestly,I haven't tried that hard-work has kept me BUSY! But after a year, I'm feeling pretty settled and meeting other people.

Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 AM

184 posts, read 430,021 times
I would live in and around Uptown, or maybe Myers Park or South Park

if you live nearby you can attend events like Young Affiliates of the Mint and meet like-minded people depending on who you are and what you are into

Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 PM

523 posts, read 2,605,508 times
For single professionals, I would definitely recommend Uptown, South End, Dilworth, possibly NoDa. I've found most of the further suburbs to be much more family-oriented. I lived in Huntersville for about nine months and was surrounded by families but could still find a few bars that had young singles in them but nothing exciting. I live in South End now and I think it's WAY better for singles--more fun, much better restaurants and bars, centrally-located, and most people are younger (20s/30s) single professionals but there is a mix of couples, as well.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:42 AM

3,774 posts, read 6,988,994 times
uptown, dilworth, elizabeth, chantilly, plaza midwood, south end.

start there.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

start there.
Yep.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:59 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

start there.
Seems like these are the answer to any question about real estate on this forum. Of the lot, I might put the downtown area and South End on the list of places for single professionals but only because they are where one finds tiny condos that are generally unsuitable for larger families. And choosing one of these means putting up with a lot of renters as neighbors because a huge number of these condos were built on speculation.

I don't think the OP has given enough information on what might appeal to him/her in regards to being single and 27 so it would be hard to say what is appropriate. One could put a lake front condo on the list since there is a lot of summer boating activity that is predominately singles and young couples.

On the question on if Charlotte is good for a single professional in the banking industry to move to I will say this. If you don't have a job in the banking industry then don't come here. The banking industry is being sundered as we speak and I expect that it will either be subject to a collapse or huge government smack down. Which comes first, who knows, but I wouldn't be headed to Charlotte with the idea of making that a career here. For the singles scene, there are probably better places, but I don't think I would put this on a list of reasons to move.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,457,079 times
Y'all realize the OP is nearly 2 years old, right?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:27 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Y'all realize the OP is nearly 2 years old, right?
Opps very true. I usually notice these old topics which seem to be popping up lately but I didn't in this case. None the less, the advice is still valid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or