Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 01:57 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
I lived in Highland Creek for 9 years. It is conveniently located to I-485, but I don't think a single home has a "view" of the interstate.
The house wasn't in Highland Creek. I think CLT said near HC. If you brought up the map, the house was near 485.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2018, 03:56 PM

529 posts, read 1,203,798 times
Exclamation undeveloped land

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Nice view of 485 from the backyard too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
True! That's not great.
Not only that, it is also adjacent to undeveloped land. You don't want to immediate neighbors with an apartment complex, convenience store, etc.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:36 AM

54 posts, read 49,879 times
Quote:
Prices are definitely up and new housing starts don't match the amount of people moving to the area. Compound that with increasing traffic, and areas in close proximity to job centers and Uptown are on fire as people try to minimize the commute. Everybody wants safety + good schools + good commute so those areas are now well over $280k often for a single family home.

Eventually I think high home prices will cause a "new Charlotte" to emerge that becomes the hot destination for people chasing affordability in the Southeast (Greenville, SC ; Knoxville, TN ; Greensboro-Winston Salem, etc...). Same thing happened as Atlanta got relatively expensive and people started looking at places like Charlotte and Raleigh that offered affordable homes, reasonable commutes, and good jobs.

There are some homes on the northern side of the metro, such as Highland Creek area, with SFH's in nice safe neighborhoods for under $200k. Most will go under contract within 48 hours so be ready to make an offer quickly if of interest. Here are some examples:

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/.../home/44066895
https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/.../home/44066895
Thank you for your links I clicked them immediately. Saw a few homes right around the corner where I live and couldn’t believe it (I could cause I know about home sales around here [its just something about seeing it in print]). I already knew that all the older neighbors are moving and going further out where you can have horses without worrying about an apartment building being built in the foreseeable future. It’s still something about seeing it out there (minus the little signs in the yard).

Old 05-01-2018, 11:55 AM

246 posts, read 583,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
The house wasn't in Highland Creek. I think CLT said near HC. If you brought up the map, the house was near 485.
My mistake. I stand corrected!

Old 05-01-2018, 04:38 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
this has been the most stresfull experience ever! We looked from Steele Creek to Mint Hill and all the way up to Belmont... Nothing so far (we upped our price). It seems like the min we go to look at them the viewing gets canceled because they just went under contract. I'm talking like an 2-3 hours after they go on MLS...

Old 05-01-2018, 06:24 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
No one knows how long this craziness will last but don't panic. I am seeing people offer too much for a property because they are tired of looking and being outbid.

When the time/property are right it will happen. Don't let the pressure force you to do something that you will regret.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:00 PM

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
No one knows how long this craziness will last but don't panic. I am seeing people offer too much for a property because they are tired of looking and being outbid.

When the time/property are right it will happen. Don't let the pressure force you to do something that you will regret.
Unfortunately my landlord is pushing our backs against the wall. Our lease is up June 30 and they told us we MUST resign a year lease by 12 midnight tonight (and they raised our rent to near breaking point for us). We've told them we are looking to buy a house and so they came back with a month to month knowing what my husband made. The price was nearly his entire pay check (save $30 of it).... we told them we can't and so they put a stipulation that if we buy a home and break the lease we will have to pay $4000 penalty to break the lease.

They said if we opted to buy the place we are renting off of them then they would wave the penalty but only sell it to usif we dumped our realtor and only dealt with them without a realtor because they don't want to pay the commissions. They wont even give us an offering price until our contract with the realtor runs out.

They're being shady as hell. We're going to have to eat the 4 grand just to get out from under them because we must sign the lease tonight or they've hinted they'll give us a 60 day notice. That and we're gonna hemorrhage money with the new rent. Which really puts us in an even worse crunch to find a home (at this point townhome as we can't seem to find any house in Steele Creek).

Pretty much its the first decent thing we find we have to put a bid on.. This isn't how I wanted my first home buying experience to be.. We're essentially settling for something I probably won't like much because of this landlord.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:58 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
this has been the most stresfull experience ever! We looked from Steele Creek to Mint Hill and all the way up to Belmont... Nothing so far (we upped our price). It seems like the min we go to look at them the viewing gets canceled because they just went under contract. I'm talking like an 2-3 hours after they go on MLS...
Does your husband still work near the airport? Mint Hill would probably not be a fun commute to that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
e

Unfortunately my landlord is pushing our backs against the wall. Our lease is up June 30 and they told us we MUST resign a year lease by 12 midnight tonight (and they raised our rent to near breaking point for us). We've told them we are looking to buy a house and so they came back with a month to month knowing what my husband made. The price was nearly his entire pay check (save $30 of it).... we told them we can't and so they put a stipulation that if we buy a home and break the lease we will have to pay $4000 penalty to break the lease.

They said if we opted to buy the place we are renting off of them then they would wave the penalty but only sell it to usif we dumped our realtor and only dealt with them without a realtor because they don't want to pay the commissions. They wont even give us an offering price until our contract with the realtor runs out.

They're being shady as hell. We're going to have to eat the 4 grand just to get out from under them because we must sign the lease tonight or they've hinted they'll give us a 60 day notice. That and we're gonna hemorrhage money with the new rent. Which really puts us in an even worse crunch to find a home (at this point townhome as we can't seem to find any house in Steele Creek).

Pretty much its the first decent thing we find we have to put a bid on.. This isn't how I wanted my first home buying experience to be.. We're essentially settling for something I probably won't like much because of this landlord.
So what'd you do? I'm confused...is there a different penalty if you break the lease but don't by a house? That smells like it could be illegal. (Edit: re-read the situation) If I were you I think I might suck it up and accept the month to month, with the goal of only staying for an extra month or 2. Sure your rent will be higher for a couple months but it's only a short time. If you can't find a house by then (you still have 2 months before your lease is up + however long you stay there), then maybe just find a new place to rent.

Last edited by GoPhils; 05-03-2018 at 10:17 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 10:12 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,699,794 times
This one is cute and within your budget. It is a small house, but clean, on a cul-de-sac, lots of trees in the neighborhood, low HOA dues, out of low altitude airport flight path, Independence High boundaries. OK commute to Uptown Charlotte (not the best, but alternate routes than 74).

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Mint-Hill/...home/145547317

Old 05-03-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
This one is cute and within your budget. It is a small house, but clean, on a cul-de-sac, lots of trees in the neighborhood, low HOA dues, out of low altitude airport flight path, Independence High boundaries. OK commute to Uptown Charlotte (not the best, but alternate routes than 74).

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Mint-Hill/...home/145547317
We saw that one come on the market. Mint Hill is hit or miss so I will definetly have to do my homework. We missed two homes in Olde Whitehall in Steele Creek by literally an hour or so. I was so pissed!! They were beautiful. Im secretly hoping something falls through with the contract/financing and it comes back on.. Unlikely but a girl can dream lol. We were esentially forced to resign our lease so I guess we have a year now... not as rush rush.. it'll cost us a pretty penny but in the grand scheme of things whats another $2,400 to break the least after spending nearly $200 grand to buy a house.... *sigh**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte