U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 02:19 PM

15 posts, read 22,147 times

Advertisements

Me and husband thinking of moving to Charlotte area in next few years. We are currently in N.J. my husband e will be retired from his job of 30 years in a few years but may still want something part time. Also At that time my daughter would be transferring colleges so would be 2 years in and my younger daughter would just be starting college somewhere. Anyway my doesn’t want to buy a house close to other houses and wants an acre or two of land. Budget no more then $350. Can someone point me in the direction or what area to look in. We have been looking on Zillow to get an idea of houses and pricing but seems everything is close together and not sure what surrounding areas to find this sort of thing. Also what colleges are in the area and also where are the jobs? My younger daughter has type 1 diabetes so we need to make sure she gets a good education to help support her condition when she is older and off our insurance as sad as that is. These days if people don’t have a good job with insurance they are struggling to pay for their insulin and don’t want that for her. It’s just going to take a lot of planning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 02:28 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,202,799 times
How many years from now? It's hard to answer because you are looking to make the move so far out. A lot can change in the next 5 - 10 years. This area is exploding with growth.

Old 04-27-2018, 02:43 PM

It’s going to be around 3 years.

Old 04-27-2018, 04:33 PM

1,454 posts, read 996,879 times
Charlotte home prices appreciated 8.9% year over year. Who knows if the trend will stay like that, but in three years, any listings you are looking at now might be worth $380k - $450k in 3 years or we could have a huge reversal in home prices and their are declines. Who knows.

Your budget will be too low for most properties in Mecklenburg County that are nice to live in. I would focus on York, SC ; Midland, NC ; Gastonia, NC ; Mount Holly, NC ; Wingate, NC ; Locust, NC. These areas will be further from the largest jobs centers, but Gaston County and York County are job centers for some industries.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:09 PM

Thank CLT

Old 04-27-2018, 05:58 PM

21,888 posts, read 27,162,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger9708 View Post
Me and husband thinking of moving to Charlotte area in next few years. We are currently in N.J. my husband e will be retired from his job of 30 years in a few years but may still want something part time. Also At that time my daughter would be transferring colleges so would be 2 years in and my younger daughter would just be starting college somewhere. Anyway my doesnít want to buy a house close to other houses and wants an acre or two of land. Budget no more then $350. Can someone point me in the direction or what area to look in. We have been looking on Zillow to get an idea of houses and pricing but seems everything is close together and not sure what surrounding areas to find this sort of thing. Also what colleges are in the area and also where are the jobs? My younger daughter has type 1 diabetes so we need to make sure she gets a good education to help support her condition when she is older and off our insurance as sad as that is. These days if people donít have a good job with insurance they are struggling to pay for their insulin and donít want that for her. Itís just going to take a lot of planning.
North Jersey or South Jersey?

What kind of job would he be looking for?

Old 04-28-2018, 07:19 AM

We are from north jersey. My husbands work for the township in town water department. He makes $150 but when retires he just wants to do something simple parttime, I’m not really sure what exactly he has in mind. Me I have a little home online side business

Old 04-28-2018, 08:06 AM

21,888 posts, read 27,162,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger9708 View Post
We are from north jersey. My husbands work for the township in town water department. He makes $150 but when retires he just wants to do something simple parttime, Iím not really sure what exactly he has in mind. Me I have a little home online side business
A few towns here, outside of Charlotte, have their own water departments. You'll have to check concerning internet.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:52 AM

655 posts, read 517,441 times
Is there a specific reason you're looking at Charlotte? Good college education options are pretty much limited to UNCC and Davidson in the area. Will your children be living with you while going to school or living on campus? You won't get much land within a 30-45 minute drive of the city, so you'll need to live outside that range...though that would increase any commute time to University if your children are living with you.

Another option might be to look up near Winston, as there are a few more universities up in the Triad area there.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:06 AM

5,872 posts, read 7,710,927 times
So 1 daughter is starting some sort of college in a year? Has she already researched any schools in this area? Also keep in mind I believe there is some sort of minimum length of residency requirement to get in-state tuition.

If you were thinking UNCC, could maybe look into Midland, Locust, Mt Pleasant or the far eastern portion of Mecklenburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or