U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:02 AM

384 posts, read 1,931,949 times

Advertisements

**I am Not talking to out of town lookers but here goes---I guess this is just a vent from a very frustrated seller who needs to sell her house in this very unfortunate market, so "woe is me"...I know...BUT, we keep getting people coming to look at our house, then get feedback like "The buyers really liked the house, they are putting their house on the market soon. Maybe the house will still be available when we sell theirs"...I realize that people need to shop around and want to look to see what is out there before putting their house on the market but it is SO frustrating to a seller to get nothing but curious lookers when they are trying so hard to SELL NOW!! I know I should be happy to get showings at all, but let me tell you, buyers, it is HARD to clean up a house and make it look perfect (in the hour notice given sometimes) when I have two small boys making messes as I am cleaning and leave my house for a few hours only to find out you don't even have your house on the market! I know it is a free country but the window shoppers are exhausting me! And there is no way of knowing ahead of a showing if someone is motivated to buy now or is looking to see if they want to buy a year from now! Like I said, this is just a vent, but it might make a window shopper think twice in this market to just pull a sellers chain by looking at their house right now --DRIVE BY and look at stuff on the internet or by all means GO TO OPEN HOUSES or look at models instead! I must mention too I have had several open houses and NO ONE has COME! Why can't some of the non-serious lookers come to that instead of inconveniencing me and having me work my tail off to present a beautifully clean home only to be extremely disappointed by the feedback. Ok, I am done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 06:16 AM

9,113 posts, read 15,041,852 times
That's a pretty good vent........nice one

Old 03-27-2008, 06:22 AM

836 posts, read 2,870,891 times
Well I could tell ya to do what Our Realtor said to us.. when she showed our home to people that doesn't have their house on the market... She told us to "deal with it, be happy someone is looking at your house during this slow time in the market and get over it" But she said it so nicely.. I blew my top when she said that to us. What is with realtors anymore.. they act like they want to sell your home then when they get it under contract, they seem to get unexcited. We had 4 couples look at our house that really loved it but they did not have theirs on the market yet.. and they would have needed to put a contingency until they sold theirs.. I thought that was fine at least we knew we would sell it.. but she would never contact them back..she told us she was too busy to contact anyone back....How ridiculous is that! I will NEVER recommend Coldwell Banker to anyone in this area specially not her office. Good Luck with your home.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 AM

9,113 posts, read 15,041,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
I will NEVER recommend Coldwell Banker to anyone in this area specially not her office. Good Luck with your home.
The INDIVIDUAL realtor is the problem, not the company.

I've had great experiences w/a realtor at CB, so its not fair to throw them under a bus because you didn't do your due diligence researching a good realtor.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:40 AM

35,886 posts, read 64,012,430 times
I don't blame you for being frustrated. Why don't you tell your realtor that you do not want appointments for showings unless someone has a qualified buyer? Your realtor can stipulate this to any other realtor requesting a showing appointment. "Qualified buyers only." This means, the potential buyer should at least have a statement in hand from a lending institution "qualifying" them as a potential candidate for a loan - or - the potential buyers have a house on the market now. (That is still small solace since the best they could do is put a contingency contract on your house - but at least it is something).

There will be realtors who think this is a harda$$ answer but you have the right to expect only qualified buyers will be walking through your home. Yes, it is more work for your realtor. And please consider - if you do this - then you cannot complain to your realtor later that you are getting no (or few) showings.

The other thing you can do is quit trying to perfect your house for each showing. If you have good pictures on the website and your home is clean - as long as the house is not in total disarray - so what.

I am not saying it is okay to have laundry piled up, dirty dishes in the sink and on countertops, towels on the bathroom floor, etc.

The other suggestion is to get a housekeeper in at least once a week to help you so things are never that out of order as far as floors needing mopping and vacuuming, bathroom showers/tubs needing a cleaning, etc. If you get a housekeeper in - then you can just touch up in between on a daily basis.

Another suggestion that I have seen work is to take a hard look at what is making the clutter in your home. If it is a bunch of toys, pack most of them up! Get them out of the house!

You need a strategy as a mother w/ two small boys. If you want to sell your house, you need to approach it w/ cold analysis. Whatever is making it difficult for you to keep the place clean to the point that you can easily pick up w/ an hours' notice . . . eliminate, pack up, give away. This may mean changing your cooking/eating habits, your laundry habits . . .

I have a friend who packed up most of the kids' toys, and then backed the car out of the garage and told them - new play area.

If you are serious about selling your house - have a strategy - as the money you invest to sell it (hiring a housekeeper) may make the difference in how quickly you sell it (plus save your sanity).

Take charge of the situation in an orderly fashion and have a discussion w/ your relator re: "qualified buyers only" and see where that gets you.

Just remember: that "lookie-loo" you turn away may be the one that would have put a contract on your house.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 AM

384 posts, read 1,931,949 times
Thank you for the comments. I am very happy that we have had lookers so I knew when I vented that I would sound ungrateful...but it did feel great to vent to someone other than my husband or realtor-so thank you all for your ears!

Great advice Anifani. I appreciate your ideas and your insight.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:52 AM

158 posts, read 356,855 times
Great post ani.
I agree it is frustrating cleaning for the 'noseys' too. But I'll tell you something, those who think they're going to put their house on the market just to move in the same area and get the price they want for their house are kidding themselves. At lease sellers who need to move house are motivated on pricing! So just look at them with a knowing smile and celebrate the fact that at least you can face reality, theirs is yet to come.
Another thing is that if people are ready to sell their house just to move into your neighborhood - then maybe you're in that neighborhood that folk will flock to when they all come out of the nooks and crannies they are all hiding in at the moment. I would put a note on my sales details saying "even the locals want to move here"!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Well I could tell ya to do what Our Realtor said to us.. when she showed our home to people that doesn't have their house on the market... She told us to "deal with it, be happy someone is looking at your house during this slow time in the market and get over it" But she said it so nicely.. I blew my top when she said that to us. What is with realtors anymore.. they act like they want to sell your home then when they get it under contract, they seem to get unexcited. We had 4 couples look at our house that really loved it but they did not have theirs on the market yet.. and they would have needed to put a contingency until they sold theirs.. I thought that was fine at least we knew we would sell it.. but she would never contact them back..she told us she was too busy to contact anyone back....How ridiculous is that! I will NEVER recommend Coldwell Banker to anyone in this area specially not her office. Good Luck with your home.
Your realtor represents YOU. Your realtor should be handling the sale of your home exactly as you wish to have it handled. Of course, you are relying on the expertise of the realtor as a professional to give you solid advice. However, if a realtor refuses to follow-up on potential contracts, then you should immediately not only complain in writing to the realtor, but contact the realtor's broker-in-charge.

I personally have never known a broker who would suggest not taking a contingency contract in a competitive market. You can continue showing the house . . . I prefer a "first right of refusal" clause myself . . . (assuming this is legal in your State). In addition, I would not consider a contingency contract on my property w/o it being a full (or nearly full) offer.

There are two sides to every story - I don't know exactly what your realtor told you - but if your realtor is not representing your wishes . . . you need to address that - and either come to an understanding or find a new realtor.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueinge View Post
Thank you for the comments. I am very happy that we have had lookers so I knew when I vented that I would sound ungrateful...but it did feel great to vent to someone other than my husband or realtor-so thank you all for your ears!

Great advice Anifani. I appreciate your ideas and your insight.
Sueinge . . . I know you are grateful . . . but you truly do have every right to expect qualified buyers coming through your property. Keeping a house clean w/ kids is - well - just about impossible!!!! Hang in there. I bet you are your own worst critic and expect things to be more "perfect" than the buyers do! After all, most of us have had kids and know how hard it is to quickly prepare a home for a showing. So there is a banana peel you didn't notice someone had thrown behind a chair. That's real life . . .

Last edited by brokensky; 03-27-2008 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-27-2008, 07:06 AM

158 posts, read 356,855 times
WE had no open houses when our house was on the market! We know the whole neighborhod comes to look but if someone's a serious buyer they make an appointment. I would not have an open house. We also shared one bathroom, sounds crazy, but it kept the other ones clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or