U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
 
206 posts, read 731,091 times
Reputation: 66

Advertisements

It doesn't matter if it "technically" affects the value or not from an appraisal standpoint. Everyone knows that a house with a nice backyard is going to sell faster than a house with a crappy one. This isn't a great market and if I put the neighborhood people on here would be shocked at these people. If you haven't made your house nice it is going to sell for less because who ever buys it is going to have to put money out to do what the owner should have already done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-27-2008, 12:32 PM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 10,025,755 times
Reputation: 2270
No doubt we will see a 'stupid buyers' thread next.

A marketplace is where sellers and buyers meet, haggle, and finally agree on a price for exchange of a good or service.
You made an offer, 'much lower than the asking price' and seller refused. This does not necessarily make them unintelligent, and honestly I fail to see the point of your post. In the home we currently live (small and modest) we watched it for 4 months or so. We wanted this house. We raised the comps and really did not care since it was what we wanted. There are plenty of other houses for sale in this town, but calling someone stupid because they will not agree to your offer is mute.

BTW, a lawn can be fixed in a matter of weeks with some TLC.
Paint & wallpaper? Small potatoes.

Last edited by mullman; 03-27-2008 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 12:42 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,948,330 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
No doubt we will see a 'stupid buyers' thread next.

A marketplace is where sellers and buyers meet, haggle, and finally agree on a price for exchange of a good or service.
You made an offer, and seller refused. This does not necessarily make them unintelligent, and honestly I fail to see the point of your post.

BTW, a lawn can be fixed in a matter of weeks with some TLC.
But you got to admit . . . the fact that the owners would not even really discuss the offer - that seems pretty stupid to me . . . all offers are potential sales - as you said - an opportunity to haggle . . . just seems kind of dim-witted that these sellers are not being more savvy about how much their property is really worth (especially if it is out of line w/ the rest of the neighborhood - OC said they had checked comps). If OC was willing to make an offer . . . seems the sellers should have be a little more open to the fact that perhaps their house was over-priced and needs improvements and updating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 12:43 PM
 
Location: CLT native
4,280 posts, read 10,025,755 times
Reputation: 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
seems the sellers should have be a little more open to the fact that perhaps their house was over-priced and needs improvements and updating.
Time will tell

In decades past I have made offers in this town as well.
More than one was flat turned down with no discussion, and yet I would not have called the seller 'stupid'.
What's the point? It is their home, and they can hold out or sell for an offer 'much lower than the asking price'.
Capitalism and free markets in their finest hour!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 12:57 PM
 
Location: State of Being
35,885 posts, read 66,948,330 times
Reputation: 22369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Time will tell

In decades past I have made offers in this town as well.
More than one was flat turned down with no discussion, and yet I would not have called the seller 'stupid'.
What's the point? It is their home, and they can hold out or sell for an offer 'much lower than the asking price'.
Capitalism and free markets in their finest hour!
Oh, yeah, I get what you are saying. You are objecting to labeling them as "stupid." True - we never know why someone turns down an offer - and they don't have to justify why, either!

Yes, it is a free market. And some people may not "have" to sell their home - may even be testing the water . . . and so if they don't get close to their asking price - they will just take it off the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 PM
 
755 posts, read 2,240,262 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCtoCLT View Post
It doesn't matter if it "technically" affects the value or not from an appraisal standpoint. Everyone knows that a house with a nice backyard is going to sell faster than a house with a crappy one. This isn't a great market and if I put the neighborhood people on here would be shocked at these people. If you haven't made your house nice it is going to sell for less because who ever buys it is going to have to put money out to do what the owner should have already done.
I disagree with your statement completely. Those things may make a house look nice, but it's the house that people really want or don't want.

We had lovely landscaping, hardwood floors, granite counter-tops and KitchenAid stainless steel appliances. The house down the street without ANY of those things sold after less than two weeks on the market because they had a master bedroom on the first floor. We did not.

We also lost a buyer because we didn't have a two-story foyer and they had a large light fixture they needed a place for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 02:04 PM
 
206 posts, read 731,091 times
Reputation: 66
Default There are always stupid people on both ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
No doubt we will see a 'stupid buyers' thread next.

A marketplace is where sellers and buyers meet, haggle, and finally agree on a price for exchange of a good or service.
You made an offer, 'much lower than the asking price' and seller refused. This does not necessarily make them unintelligent, and honestly I fail to see the point of your post. In the home we currently live (small and modest) we watched it for 4 months or so. We wanted this house. We raised the comps and really did not care since it was what we wanted. There are plenty of other houses for sale in this town, but calling someone stupid because they will not agree to your offer is mute.

BTW, a lawn can be fixed in a matter of weeks with some TLC.
Paint & wallpaper? Small potatoes.
The "stupid" part is more of a figurative word than anything else. I do think in this market if you are priced 30k over the most recent comp and your house is not the better you are not being smart. If you had read all the posts than you know the yard is not something that TLC can fix. We know all their reasons because they were put down in writing. I will never want a house to pay more than it is worth that is what happened over the last few years and look where it got people. I don't care if someone agrees to my offer but I do think if you are in a bind and need to sell your home and are not willing to look at market conditions you are not acting in your best interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 02:07 PM
 
206 posts, read 731,091 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I disagree with your statement completely. Those things may make a house look nice, but it's the house that people really want or don't want.

We had lovely landscaping, hardwood floors, granite counter-tops and KitchenAid stainless steel appliances. The house down the street without ANY of those things sold after less than two weeks on the market because they had a master bedroom on the first floor. We did not.

We also lost a buyer because we didn't have a two-story foyer and they had a large light fixture they needed a place for.
We are one of those people that only want master up so I have not looked at what I am sure are amazing homes because they are master down. If there are over 20 homes for sale in a neighborhood and you want to sell you need to make sure your home is the best it can be. We also came from CA, as have many others, and outdoor living is important to us. This house wasn't my favorite house; I actually liked another house better but felt this one had the potential for a better yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Vero Beach, FL
897 posts, read 2,567,087 times
Reputation: 474
I have seen a few articles in the past couple of days and even a report on the Today show this morning (sorry no links) that many sellers are not willing to take deep price reductions on the sale on their homes...

Just move onto something else. There are plenty of homes on the market and someone out there is in the position to negotiate.

And I agree with several other posters ... stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2008, 02:37 PM
 
158 posts, read 367,560 times
Reputation: 23
I prefer master down becuase if my kids are sick in the night, I don't have to run up and down the stairs every 2 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top