Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:24 AM

5 posts, read 4,189 times

Advertisements

thanks GoPhils, yes I'm good. I want even gong to apply for UE until i went back to return the keys and my boss told me to apply. I do think it's like you said. Maybe he was over ruled. They did this once before to another employee that worked there. That's why i was seeing if anyone has a similar problem with advise. Before i took it to my lawyer.
But yeah, I'm ok i flip houses dio I'm ok that way. Just didn't appreciate the lies. Thanks for asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 06:43 AM

604 posts, read 648,450 times
why don't you use the effort to look for a job instead??

Old 05-08-2018, 02:41 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,807,576 times
I think you're probably one of those unfortunate ones who got passed over because of the nature of your initial hiring. Most HR people, especially new hires, can't really be faulted for assuming you were filled in on all of the details surrounding your employment. Being a small company, they probably glossed over the alcohol/DUI policy but you may have signed something stating you were informed. Let's be honest, how often do we read everything we sign? Pretty rarely. *Cue "I read everything" guy*

I don't know the whole situation, but I don't think I would go quite as far as calling what the HR person said is a lie. Your best bet would be to ask for copies of your initial employment papers so you can see what you really signed and go from there. Unfortunately, proving you were never verbally informed of a policy is going to be rather difficult, if not impossible.

Best of luck to you, but leave the boozing to be done at home considering you have a CDL. You know it's stricter. Don't chance it again.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:12 PM

607 posts, read 548,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I think you're probably one of those unfortunate ones who got passed over because of the nature of your initial hiring. Most HR people, especially new hires, can't really be faulted for assuming you were filled in on all of the details surrounding your employment. Being a small company, they probably glossed over the alcohol/DUI policy but you may have signed something stating you were informed. Let's be honest, how often do we read everything we sign? Pretty rarely. *Cue "I read everything" guy*

I don't know the whole situation, but I don't think I would go quite as far as calling what the HR person said is a lie. Your best bet would be to ask for copies of your initial employment papers so you can see what you really signed and go from there. Unfortunately, proving you were never verbally informed of a policy is going to be rather difficult, if not impossible.

Best of luck to you, but leave the boozing to be done at home considering you have a CDL. You know it's stricter. Don't chance it again.
If the employment was in NC (if it wasn't this is probably the wrong forum) then the OP should be plenty aware that this is an at-will employment state...which means they can fire you for pretty much any reason.

Someone getting caught drinking and driving being fired for a job that requires driving is anyone's definition of "cause" but in this case, one isn't even needed.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:25 PM

7,065 posts, read 12,300,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Hough View Post
Hi, thanks for taking a min. I'm a class A CDL Truck driver. On st. Patrick's day of this year i was pulled over and given a dui. I reported the incident to my employer and they fired me.
Ok, THAT'S where you messed up.

1 Drinking
2 Driving after drinking
3 REPORTING THE CITATION TO YOUR EMPLOYER

After the first two mistakes were made (shame on YOU) you should've kept your mouth shut, got lawyered-up, and reduced your dui to a non-moving violation. You probably would've dropped $1,000-1,500 on the legal clean up, but your record and employability would have remained intact.

Back in 2006, I ran an obscured red light in Ironton, Ohio. I was driving an empty gasoline tanker on my way back to the Marathon refinery in Catlettsburg, Kentucky. It was around 2 am, it was my second-to-last load, and I was ready to call it a night. An Ohio state trooper had different plans for me when he witnessed me running that light (a light that I never saw).

That citation would have meant automatic termination from my job. I knew this. I was only 26 years old at the time earning $1,500-1,700/wk. In that area of the country, I was borderline "rich" with that kind of income. After crying that night, I decided to spend whatever it took to save my job. After it was all said and done, I saved an $80,000/year-plus job with about $500 worth of legal fees (and I haven't ran another red light since). This year is my 17th year of driving trucks. I've learned that bad things sometimes happen to good people. Just know your situation and be smart about things.

Old 05-12-2018, 12:30 PM

571 posts, read 710,899 times
As someone who had a friend killed by a drunk truck driver, I have ZERO sympathy for anyone losing a truck-driving job because of a DUI.

Last edited by brichard; 05-12-2018 at 12:50 PM..

Old 05-16-2018, 04:35 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,463,767 times
No one here is an idiot for telling you that you do not drink and drive. I don't care how much you had, you had enough to be worthy of a DUI!

For the record, most of us can't drink before or during work and not get fired at a NON-driving job!

No one lied to you.

Old 05-16-2018, 04:36 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,463,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
As someone who had a friend killed by a drunk truck driver, I have ZERO sympathy for anyone losing a truck-driving job because of a DUI.
ABSOLUTELY!

And sorry about your friend.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:34 AM

565 posts, read 537,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Hough View Post
Oh wow looks like I have two new pals! Hey, just so you two idiots know.... it's not at all about the UE, it's about the lie! If you two dummys think i can pay my mortgage with $300 a week you're nuts! Whenever you two kids want to get out of your mom's basement let me know. I could probably help you out! Lol here's the thing dips**ts, If you don't like taxes you need to talk to your government! Have some blog etiquette for Petes sake! Lmaooo
Now that I read your posting, I understand why you are in your position. In no civilized world do citizens wish to have drunks on our streets. People get fired for DWIs., People, like yourself, should be concerned about losing your job for drinking whether at work or on your own time. You should have considered the consequences including mortgage, etc. before you acted so stupidly. When you get on this board, you are generally wanting to discuss your situation which opens it up for responses. You seem to be fine as long as someone is on your side. The two "idiots" to whom you elude did just that. You can make me the third if you wish. It is commons sense that in any profession where drinking and driving can be deadly there are laws regarding the behaviors of those in that profession. You seem to have had a few when writing your posting. Good luck. It is no disgrace working in the warehouse. Just stay sober.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte