U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 01:30 PM

755 posts, read 2,241,653 times

Advertisements

White walls, cheap and plain fixtures, little/no landscaping, cheap appliances and no window treatments are all drawbacks to buying new construction. (The price also tends to be inflated.)

Homes appreciate. They're not like cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM

69 posts, read 328,228 times
I think if everything else were equal, the new home would be the preference of the majority because of warranties and the ability to customize. However, there are often some disadvantages that go with new construction that tend to balance things out. For example, if it's a new neighborhood you might be living in a construction zone for a year or more. In a new neighborhood, buyers might be a little nervous about the home value because of the lack of a solid track record of sales or not knowing who else is going to want to buy there. If you get a "used" home in good condition, you slide into an established neighborhood.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 PM

755 posts, read 2,241,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timunh View Post
For example, if it's a new neighborhood you might be living in a construction zone for a year or more.
We did that and I can't tell you how many times our electricity, phone, water or cable got shut off accidentally from digging or other construction-related work.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:33 PM

4,093 posts, read 10,147,408 times
We keep wondering what kind of quality people are really getting in these "inflate-a-home" areas.

We also have friends who bought new and have had no end of problems with poor construction and it is in a very nice area, they paid well over 800K, probably closer to 1M.

We bought a 20 year old home that was custom built (everyone here bought property and had their own home built) and we have 6" exterior walls and an extremely well built home.

Dawn

Old 03-28-2008, 07:01 AM

440 posts, read 1,007,538 times
Thanks everyone. I never could have imagined even half the information you've given me.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:32 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,865,604 times
I like a used house myself. Built better, already landscaped, character, I could go on. I really want a VERY old home, preferably Victorian Era, but DH is not too keen on this idea yet.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:33 AM

210 posts, read 540,441 times
Our house was built in 1936, and I wouldn't trade it for a new house for anything. The quality of construction is simply unmatched--you couldn't build it now for less than double what we paid. In fact, you couldn't even get the lumber, because there is no more first-growth pine. (New lumber is often much less dense because it grows much more quickly and is harvested earlier.)

Sure, we need to do some work (more insulation, update kitchen, work on windows, etc.), but I wouldn't have it any other way. The hand and detail work that went into some of these older houses really shows. If it's been there 72 years, no reason it shouldn't be there another 72 if it's taken care of -- I really like the idea of taking care of a house for the next generation, rather than treating it as a disposable product.

Maybe it's just what you grew up with?

Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,865,604 times
My mom is an antique appraiser and liquidator so that's probably true. I find new houses (even mine) quite boring and cheap when compared to a old home.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:45 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,638,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
White walls, cheap and plain fixtures, little/no landscaping, cheap appliances and no window treatments are all drawbacks to buying new construction. (The price also tends to be inflated.)

Homes appreciate. They're not like cars.
If you look at the flipside, you still have to make a resale "your own" and most likely you will end up painting your walls, changing fixtures, changing the landscaping, upgrading appliances and changing or putting in window treatments...

Coming from a home that was 40yrs old, I love my new house...

Its all about preferences.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or