U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 11:25 AM

5 posts, read 11,687 times

Advertisements

Can anyone shed some light on kindergarten in the area. We are looking to relocate from the cold midwest region and I have one that will start kindergarten in the fall. He is already 5 but he missed the Aug. 1 cut off date. He didn't turn 5 until Oct. Here Kindergarten is 2 hrs 45 min long. Is it the same there or is it longer. It is a big factor in figuring our budget for housing and childcare. From what I've read daycare is very expensive. I don't want have any major surprises since I know my husband's income will be less than it is here. Is there before and after school care at the school? We have that here but not for the kindergarten kids. It also will determine if I am to look for a full time or part time job. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 12:01 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,174,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boysmomx3 View Post
Can anyone shed some light on kindergarten in the area. We are looking to relocate from the cold midwest region and I have one that will start kindergarten in the fall. He is already 5 but he missed the Aug. 1 cut off date. He didn't turn 5 until Oct. Here Kindergarten is 2 hrs 45 min long. Is it the same there or is it longer. It is a big factor in figuring our budget for housing and childcare. From what I've read daycare is very expensive. I don't want have any major surprises since I know my husband's income will be less than it is here. Is there before and after school care at the school? We have that here but not for the kindergarten kids. It also will determine if I am to look for a full time or part time job. Thanks for the info.
Kindergarten in Charlotte is full day and we too have an October cut off. After school care is offered in most public schools, though I am not sure of the costs. As far as I know, kindergarteners can participate in after school care. You may want to go on the schools website to learn more. I believe it is Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:45 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,218,743 times
Are surrounding areas the same, ie. SC schools, Union County, in case OP isn't looking in CMS area?

Old 03-27-2008, 12:47 PM

386 posts, read 838,057 times
Union County is also full day Kindergarten and most schools have after school care but some have very long waiting lists.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:59 PM

46 posts, read 101,700 times
I have a daughter in kindergarten this year. Now the cut off is Oct 16. But I believe that will change to August for the 2009 school year. After school care is in most of the elementary schools (if not all) and a only few middle schools. Before school care is only offered in schools that have a later starting time. I believe it's 8:30am or later. Check the website to make sure. The cost is fairly reasonable. For the 2007-2008 year it's $54/week for after school plus an additional $18 if your child is enrolled in both after and before care. That will probably increase next school year. There is a registration fee as well. From my research, CMS's before/after school care is a lot less than any other non-private child care I could find. Hope this helps.

After School Enrichment Program : Information

Old 03-31-2008, 09:27 AM

5 posts, read 11,687 times
ivymw2002 that is exactly what I was looking for . Thank you to everyone else for the information too. You guys are a big help!

Old 03-31-2008, 09:50 AM

755 posts, read 2,239,563 times
This is a little OT, but I would like to say that, as a parent of a child with an August birthday, I think it's a GOOD thing that the date is being moved up.

The school we applied to for Kindergarten recommended their transitional program for our daughter and it was the best thing we ever did for her. It's not that she wasn't academically ready, she just REALLY benefited from the extra year.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:16 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,174,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
This is a little OT, but I would like to say that, as a parent of a child with an August birthday, I think it's a GOOD thing that the date is being moved up.

The school we applied to for Kindergarten recommended their transitional program for our daughter and it was the best thing we ever did for her. It's not that she wasn't academically ready, she just REALLY benefited from the extra year.
I wholeheartedly agree. Sending my son to transitional kindergarten when he was 5, then kindergarten when he was 6 has given him tremendous advantages academically and socially. It was one of the best things we have ever done for him. When he goes off to NYC in the fall for college I feel very comfortable he will be very well prepared
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or