Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 12:23 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Up until now you could drive from DC to Miami with no toll. Or NC to Oklahoma with no toll.
I-95 is a free ride between DC and Miami, as is the entire length of I-40 from NC to CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 12:42 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I-95 is a free ride between DC and Miami, as is the entire length of I-40 from NC to CA.
I thought there were some express Lanes on I95 around 495 that charge if you don't carpool.

Old 05-12-2018, 04:42 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I thought there were some express Lanes on I95 around 495 that charge if you don't carpool.
Yup but you don’t have to take them (like 77 will be).

Old 05-12-2018, 05:29 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yup but you don’t have to take them (like 77 will be).
You won't have to ride in the ExpressLane and pay. 2-4 lanes will be free the entire route while 1-2 lanes will be tolled.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
You won't have to ride in the ExpressLane and pay. 2-4 lanes will be free the entire route while 1-2 lanes will be tolled.
Yup

Old 05-12-2018, 09:55 PM

1,195 posts, read 984,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Pretty sure you can get from DC to Miami with no toll. No idea about to Oklahoma, although I do know OK has some toll roads.

Actually a lot of the ones that don’t accept cash (I believe such as the one near Raleigh) will send you a bill for the toll amount, not a ticket.

If the I-77 lanes are designed properly, honestly it’s probably not a bad idea. Adding free lanes only temporarily relieves congestion, because it would likely increase development up until the point that there’s gridlock traffic again.

So driving on the shoulder for a mile is a “safe way to control traffic”?
I once received a bill from a faraway state, that I didn't open until it became a fine. Had no clue I even owed a tow. This actually happened in 2 states, not including in NJ where I've experienced every toll fine known to man. I always sort it out but it's definitely unethical.

That's only one thing I've done, it's safe if you know what you're doing/ how to drive, many people can't drive that well.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The True CLT Native Gal View Post
To answer your questions in order. I don’t know, very doubtful and I don’t think �� so. It depends on the contractor(s) so in a word yes. As everything else the date will continue to keep getting pushed up. I think the day for it to be complete will be 50 years in now just in time for the contract with the other country to be up. Unless it’s claused that they are in charge as soon as the date for completion. The whole thing is ludicrous and they know it.
A 50 year contract sounds ludicrous. I don't understand the logic there or if there is any. NC is suppose to be the tar heel state, with a top population growth I would think tolls aren't necessary to fund highway expansion.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Maybe it wasn't 40 but there's definitely a string of 4 or so tolls in Oklahoma.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:30 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
A 50 year contract sounds ludicrous. I don't understand the logic there or if there is any. NC is suppose to be the tar heel state, with a top population growth I would think tolls aren't necessary to fund highway expansion.
High population growth just widdens the gap on road funding. Currently the gas tax and vehicle registration fees are covering less than 50% of interstate construction and maintenance costs, leaving the general fund (an unstable revenue stream) as the source for the other 50%. As cars get better gas mileage and fill up less frequently, it makes the dwindling gas tax revenue problem even worse for road construction. Then you have old highways that need to be brought up to standards and a rural population that makes up a smaller portion of the state's population but the majority of land.

Old 05-13-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I once received a bill from a faraway state, that I didn't open until it became a fine. Had no clue I even owed a tow. This actually happened in 2 states, not including in NJ where I've experienced every toll fine known to man. I always sort it out but it's definitely unethical.

That's only one thing I've done, it's safe if you know what you're doing/ how to drive, many people can't drive that well.
All of those roads give you plenty of warning. So what you never opened your mail?

Driving on the shoulder is not safe.

Quote:
Maybe it wasn't 40 but there's definitely a string of 4 or so tolls in Oklahoma.
What does OK have to do with NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte