U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 02:51 PM

859 posts, read 417,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
You do realize that there will be free lanes as well, basically you don't have use the toll lanes at all.
I heard on the radio today there will only be one free lane. Atlanta has this system on 75 which is mostly free lanes. I hope it more resembles that one. Nobody wants to pay to commute. This isn't New Jersey. I paid 1000s on tolls but never saw it as something to improve traffic, it's more like a way to ticket people and expand the ezpass program "join for 100 annual fee and save on tolls".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2018, 02:55 PM

I guess soon Amazon's prime program will also become mandatory, unless you live in an off grid house with a non-lockable fridge.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:16 PM

653 posts, read 514,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I heard on the radio today there will only be one free lane. Atlanta has this system on 75 which is mostly free lanes. I hope it more resembles that one. Nobody wants to pay to commute. This isn't New Jersey. I paid 1000s on tolls but never saw it as something to improve traffic, it's more like a way to ticket people and expand the ezpass program "join for 100 annual fee and save on tolls".
To be clear, a simple google search will pull up the actual contract and show that there will be at least 2 toll-free lanes in the very top half of the highway in each direction and up to 4 free lanes each way further South.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:50 PM

7,180 posts, read 11,194,010 times
I can see the people stuck in the free lane gridlock will also use and clog up the transition lanes just to gain a few car lengths.

Look at how they use the entrance/exit lane between 33 and 31 as a passing lane now. They fan out like it's the front stretch at Pocono, gun it, and race past the people using the normal travel lanes before squeezing back in from the exit only section.

Old 05-11-2018, 07:58 PM

7,180 posts, read 11,194,010 times
Quote:
Are the coming tolls going to help traffic? Nope! The NCDOT already said it will not reduce congestion on the free lanes. In fact, it benefits the toll company to have as much congestion as possible in the free lanes.

Is the highway too expensive to maintain? This company has a history of shoddy construction and going bankrupt on other projects. Once they go bankrupt, ALL of the taxpayers in NC get to pay them off in tax dollars.

Is there a date these tolls will happily go away once they serve their purpose? It's a 50 year term. Many of us will be dead before this contract expires.
Go to WidenI77.org for some good information on the project.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
To be clear, a simple google search will pull up the actual contract and show that there will be at least 2 toll-free lanes in the very top half of the highway in each direction and up to 4 free lanes each way further South.
I heard on the radio something about 1 free lane, maybe it was on a bridge. These tolls never go away though. Once they're in place the toll will only go up and more highways will adopt them. Up until now you could drive from DC to Miami with no toll. Or NC to Oklahoma with no toll. The kicker is when they no longer accept cash, we're forced to use a device like ezpass. NJ already has these, so does Seattle. And when you pass a toll booth that doesn't except cash, you receive a fat ticket in the mail with a photo of your car passing through. I hope NC'ers know this. It's more of a money-racketeering than traffic control.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I can see the people stuck in the free lane gridlock will also use and clog up the transition lanes just to gain a few car lengths.

Look at how they use the entrance/exit lane between 33 and 31 as a passing lane now. They fan out like it's the front stretch at Pocono, gun it, and race past the people using the normal travel lanes before squeezing back in from the exit only section.
It's definitely not a safe way to control traffic. I myself drove a mile on the shoulder to bypass the poor construction planning on 85 going on now. I'd drive over a curb with a cop on the other side instead of sit like a duck for half an hour while my vehicle overheats.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Go to WidenI77.org for some good information on the project.
That's what I call "open corruption". It's done openly in front of everyone since people are too feeble minded to see it and speak out.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:01 AM

50 posts, read 27,108 times
Quote:
Are the coming tolls going to help traffic? Is the highway too expensive to maintain? Is there a date these tolls will happily go away once they serve their purpose?
To answer your questions in order. I donít know, very doubtful and I donít think 🤔 so. It depends on the contractor(s) so in a word yes. As everything else the date will continue to keep getting pushed up. I think the day for it to be complete will be 50 years in now just in time for the contract with the other country to be up. Unless itís claused that they are in charge as soon as the date for completion. The whole thing is ludicrous and they know it.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:28 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,698,493 times
Quote:
I heard on the radio something about 1 free lane, maybe it was on a bridge. These tolls never go away though. Once they're in place the toll will only go up and more highways will adopt them. Up until now you could drive from DC to Miami with no toll. Or NC to Oklahoma with no toll. The kicker is when they no longer accept cash, we're forced to use a device like ezpass. NJ already has these, so does Seattle. And when you pass a toll booth that doesn't except cash, you receive a fat ticket in the mail with a photo of your car passing through. I hope NC'ers know this. It's more of a money-racketeering than traffic control.
Pretty sure you can get from DC to Miami with no toll. No idea about to Oklahoma, although I do know OK has some toll roads.

Actually a lot of the ones that donít accept cash (I believe such as the one near Raleigh) will send you a bill for the toll amount, not a ticket.

If the I-77 lanes are designed properly, honestly itís probably not a bad idea. Adding free lanes only temporarily relieves congestion, because it would likely increase development up until the point that thereís gridlock traffic again.

Quote:
It's definitely not a safe way to control traffic. I myself drove a mile on the shoulder to bypass the poor construction planning on 85 going on now. I'd drive over a curb with a cop on the other side instead of sit like a duck for half an hour while my vehicle overheats.
So driving on the shoulder for a mile is a ďsafe way to control trafficĒ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or