U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 09:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,359 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My fiancé and I were contemplating a relocation to Charlotte for Summer 2019. I wanted to give my 18-year-old daughter time to graduate high school and finish cosmetology school, which should be complete by year's end. But the idea of moving in December or January doesn't appeal to us.

The twist is: A really good company came upon my OLD resume online and now I'm interviewing for a position that they are willing to pay relocation for. So, conceivably, I could be moving THIS summer rather than NEXT summer. My fiancé is newly-retired and considering his "next act" so where we move is of no concern to him.

Interestingly enough, we paid a visit to Charlotte about 2 weeks ago when we first considered moving there so we have a vague idea of where in the area we may want to live. My only concern was the downtown (or is it called "uptown", not really sure) where the nightlife is "Epicentre" and numerous bars, clubs, restaurants. While that was a great place to visit (we even ventured down a bit further to SportsOne, the bar owned by Real Housewife of Atlanta Cynthia's husband), there doesn't seem to be a whole heckuva lot for young people to do there. It was our first visit, so we could be wrong.

I want to be able to tempt my daughter (she's nowhere near ready to live on her own) to come with us and I want to tell her about all the cool things she can do there. But I honestly didn't get the sense that there was very much there.

Also, if anyone knows what the commute is like for jobs located on IBM drive in Charlotte? The company is AXA which has a really good reputation but I'm not sure if there's free parking or not? We're thinking of renting for at least a year in Huntersville or even Harrisburg or Concord.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 10:06 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,182,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpjwrites1 View Post
Hi,

My fiancé and I were contemplating a relocation to Charlotte for Summer 2019. I wanted to give my 18-year-old daughter time to graduate high school and finish cosmetology school, which should be complete by year's end. But the idea of moving in December or January doesn't appeal to us.

The twist is: A really good company came upon my OLD resume online and now I'm interviewing for a position that they are willing to pay relocation for. So, conceivably, I could be moving THIS summer rather than NEXT summer. My fiancé is newly-retired and considering his "next act" so where we move is of no concern to him.

Interestingly enough, we paid a visit to Charlotte about 2 weeks ago when we first considered moving there so we have a vague idea of where in the area we may want to live. My only concern was the downtown (or is it called "uptown", not really sure) where the nightlife is "Epicentre" and numerous bars, clubs, restaurants. While that was a great place to visit (we even ventured down a bit further to SportsOne, the bar owned by Real Housewife of Atlanta Cynthia's husband), there doesn't seem to be a whole heckuva lot for young people to do there. It was our first visit, so we could be wrong.

I want to be able to tempt my daughter (she's nowhere near ready to live on her own) to come with us and I want to tell her about all the cool things she can do there. But I honestly didn't get the sense that there was very much there.

Also, if anyone knows what the commute is like for jobs located on IBM drive in Charlotte? The company is AXA which has a really good reputation but I'm not sure if there's free parking or not? We're thinking of renting for at least a year in Huntersville or even Harrisburg or Concord.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
I don't think you'll have to pay to park in the University area (that's where IBM drive is located). I think you could get away with the Mallard Creek area, University, Harrisburg or Concord (near Concord Mills). There's Queen Park social club, PNC Music Pavillion (for concerts), White Water Center has different things going on, plus there's UNCC so I would assume some college hangouts near UNCC. What's she interested in and what does she like to do?

Old 05-18-2018, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,359 times
Thanks so much for responding!
She's graduating from cosmetology school and getting her license to do hair & makeup, transferring her license to NC. Since she's stilI under 21 she won't be getting into bars. But UNCC, of course!! College guys, lol ����

Old 05-24-2018, 02:50 AM

286 posts, read 149,560 times
Of course there are plenty of bars and nightlife once she becomes of age. But for now there is Carowinds Theme Park, a movie theater and bowling alley uptown, plenty of shopping in the area but not uptown, 2 lakes in the area for water sports, hiking and walking trails in the vicinity, National whitewater center for rafting and hiking and other activities. But I guess the question to ask is what does she do for fun now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or