U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 12:44 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,405,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I didn't say that Charlotte learned anything from the Big Apple , I said that Charlotte recognizes some of the mistakes that she has made, and is seeking to correct her mistakes - namely that of tearing down historic structures.

Yes...teardowns within the City still exist, but the City isn't showing a recklessness that she once did IMHO.

Can you provide some examples about correcting mistakes? I'm still seeing wild growth featuring hundreds of acres being clear cut. This doesn't really seem like the result of a lesson learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 03:21 PM
NDL

3,114 posts, read 3,606,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Can you provide some examples about correcting mistakes? I'm still seeing wild growth featuring hundreds of acres being clear cut. This doesn't really seem like the result of a lesson learned.
The pragmatic side of me recognizes that the City is not going to slow growth, therefore I am glad to see the City showing a little more care regarding the preservation of some of the older housing in the area.

But again , that's the pragmatic side of me - a side that recognizes that the City is not going to change course.

That said, am I happy with what's gone on in Charlotte? No.

When I first visited the City in 2007-2008, I truly thought it was one of the nicest places I had ever visited.

The deliberate placement of flowers, shrubs, etc., in common areas, contribute a great deal to the overall "feel" of the Queen City. There wasn't a great deal of traffic, and the (near) majority of folks were Southern: kind, friendly, thoughtful, and measured in their pace of life. The cost of housing was astoundingly low.

Fast forward to present: Charlotte's still a good place to live, but it's looking more and more like the area whence I came. And the City...I dunno if it's ignorance, apathy, or if they're banking on future trends like telecommuting, bicycling, and driverless cars - they're creating a mess.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:53 PM

2,826 posts, read 4,131,019 times
Quote:
The pragmatic side of me recognizes that the City is not going to slow growth, therefore I am glad to see the City showing a little more care regarding the preservation of some of the older housing in the area.

But again , that's the pragmatic side of me - a side that recognizes that the City is not going to change course.

That said, am I happy with what's gone on in Charlotte? No.

When I first visited the City in 2007-2008, I truly thought it was one of the nicest places I had ever visited.

The deliberate placement of flowers, shrubs, etc., in common areas, contribute a great deal to the overall "feel" of the Queen City. There wasn't a great deal of traffic, and the (near) majority of folks were Southern: kind, friendly, thoughtful, and measured in their pace of life. The cost of housing was astoundingly low.

Fast forward to present: Charlotte's still a good place to live, but it's looking more and more like the area whence I came. And the City...I dunno if it's ignorance, apathy, or if they're banking on future trends like telecommuting, bicycling, and driverless cars - they're creating a mess.
Imagine being here 50+ years. I have seen so many changes. Some good. Some not so good.

A fast growing Charlotte is great for my business but it sure hurts my heart to deal with many of the changes...

Old 07-02-2018, 05:20 PM
NDL

3,114 posts, read 3,606,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Imagine being here 50+ years. I have seen so many changes. Some good. Some not so good.
I can't rep you again (yet).

I couldn't imagine being here 50 years, nor could I imagine the absence of local eateries like Anderson's Pecan Pie.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:24 PM

43 posts, read 30,302 times
Try being here for a lot more than 50, I won’t say how much but I have you beat, lol!

Old 07-03-2018, 11:26 AM

246 posts, read 120,714 times
Quote:
I can't rep you again (yet).

I couldn't imagine being here 50 years, nor could I imagine the absence of local eateries like Anderson's Pecan Pie.
How about Westover Drive-In, Copal Grill, Town-N-Country, Tanner's, Zoo on Wilkinson Blvd by the micro-mini car track, trampoline centers, Willomet (not sure of spelling) Skating Rink, Chatty Hatty, Big Bill Ward, Fred Kirby and Calico, Oriental Restaurant on West Trade and the Plantation Grill near the Gondola. All great things of the past. I'm up there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or