Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 11:57 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
It won't as far as feeling like a true major American city.

Raleigh-Durham and Atlanta and Charlotte have all doubled in population since 1990 and Raleigh and Atlanta don't feel any different from back then.

NCDOT projects the NC part of Charlotte's metro population to be 2.9 million in 2040.

So add 500,000 more for SC's portion and you've got 3.4 million in 2040.

That is a little over half of Atlanta's population today of 6 million.
True, but metro Atlanta is over 8000 square miles. That's the size of Massachusetts. I don't think metro Charlotte should or will surpass metro Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 03:59 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Other than being a NC native, you've actually assimilated with the big boys quite, that is, a developed address-centric pretentiousness that makes me somebody....uh, no. I get it though, we need the big boys and don't think most southern cities will ever fit that mode no matter how much they boom. Recall how the Vanderbilts never excepted certain forms of attained wealth into their circle like the Woolworths (5&10)..the nerve of these Clampents. Surely the Walmarts would've been frowned upon as well.

But for what is worth, Charlotte and the vast majority of small to mid-size cities are the truest and quintessential representation of Americana.
I'm from Louisburg, NC in Franklin County (about as poor as destitute you can get), and I think NC is in the top 4 or 5 greatest states in the country, leagues above Georgia which is about the most primitive.

All I meant was that I don't think Charlotte should be casually referred to as just another of America's major cities, yet.

Raleigh is Eastern NC's big city. Charlotte is the Carolina's big city. Atlanta is the Southeast's big city. Chicago is the heartland's big city. NYC and LA are America's big kahunas as well as part of the world's biggest players.

NC's appeal in America is it's natural beauty combined with towns and cities of all sizes with Charlotte being at the top.

Few other places have the quality of life, natural beauty and access to urban amenities that NC cities offer.

For Charlotte to join the major big cities, in my opinion it will have to shed some of the bible-belt mentality as it has been the epicenter of that with PTL and the Graham family.

On this forum newcomers report more church-related inquisitions than in Raleigh, that isn't common in transient huge cities.

And much more acceptance of the gentle souls that are America's gay citizens (like me!) will need to permeate around Charlotte to ever be considered as a major city.

Do people in Charlotte get bent out of shape about other people's lives? Because the rest of NC has a deep-entrenched small-town mentality, and even in Raleigh if you mention anything referring to someone who is gay in casual conversation as if it's normal they visibly flinch because they're so not used to hearing it.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:10 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
True, but metro Atlanta is over 8000 square miles. That's the size of Massachusetts. I don't think metro Charlotte should or will surpass metro Atlanta.
Agreed that Atlanta is defined with many different boundaries up to 35 counties (they are smaller in size though).

But Charlotte's USA campaign also defines the area with many counties 13-14 including deeper into SC than the border counties.

Atlanta despite all its problems has seen roughly $50 Billion (metro-wide) in new construction recently with companies relocating HQs near Marta rail stations. Probably over 40 new tall buildings have been built metro-wide.

2 million more people are expected by 2040 for a population of 8 million.

NC is predicted to regain the lead over GA in state population (which is lost 2000 for the first time) and will be the 7th most populous state in 2040 according to the census.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:17 PM

5 posts, read 3,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I hope things slow down soon. I really don't want Charlotte to turn into another Atlanta.
Sadly, I think it already is heading in the direction of mirroring Atlanta. Thank all of the transplants for that.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:32 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepie5 View Post
Sadly, I think it already is heading in the direction of mirroring Atlanta. Thank all of the transplants for that.
Aren't YOU a transplant?

Old 05-30-2018, 08:25 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times
Quote:
You are right about size decreasing quality of life. Everything is more of a hassle in big cities, and one of NC's best attributes is that it's a nice compromise of many things including relative ease and access to many things that aren't available to the middle class is larger cities.

What I love about that video is the high quality of that suburban road.

It has concrete curbs, something only the top tier states like Florida will spend the money on.

Atlanta has zero curbs of that caliber anywhere, even downtown all we get are slabs of granite as a crude curb which is awful on hubcaps and we have such poor drainage from absent or uncleaned drains that even our interstates have ponding water when it rains.

NC builds much better-quality roads.
You have a nice way of surmising things, and yes, I agree with your opinion of NC - which is why I am vocal and protective of her (NC's) advantages.

Sadly, there seems to be an opinion among many folks that "things will remain as they are" - as if to say that NC's virtues are immutable.

History proves otherwise.

Fortunately, the City of Charlotte is not the City of New York, and she has learned from her mistakes, and now cherishes and embraces her past. The City of New York sees everything in terms of an increase in tax revenue, and has permitted structures that it ought not have. Every inch of land is maximized for profit, and where one house stood, ten townhouses now stand, without giving proper consideration to things like the need for ample parking; roads that can support traffic, etc.

As quality of life in New York suffered, New Yorkers left New York City for New Jersey. As NJ was flooded with former NY'ers, and as New Jersey's cost of living rose and congestion increased, the exodus has since been diverted to North Carolina.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:59 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Do people in Charlotte get bent out of shape about other people's lives? Because the rest of NC has a deep-entrenched small-town mentality, and even in Raleigh if you mention anything referring to someone who is gay in casual conversation as if it's normal they visibly flinch because they're so not used to hearing it.
Charlotte is no Atlanta when it comes to gay friendliness; so let's be clear on that. However, Charlotte Pride's parade is now larger than the city's Thanksgiving Day parade. Also, the two day Charlotte Pride festival takes place in the heart of uptown and it attracts over 130,000 spectators. It is one of the largest Pride events in the South and it's one of Charlotte's largest annual festivals. I'm a regular visitor of Pride Charlotte (as well as other festivals). I'm not alone at all when it comes to heterosexual families who support the event. We all have a friend, sibling, parent, cousin, or child who is gay/lesbian. In my case, it's cousins and one of my grandparents (bisexual grandparent obviously).

Another interesting fact is that Central Charlotte is home to NC and SC's largest same-sex couple zip codes....
Quote:
Plaza Midwood and NoDa neighborhoods has put the “queen” in “Queen City” for the last two decades, but now the area has new reason to celebrate; the U.S. Census finds it’s the gayest area not just in Charlotte, but in both North and South Carolina.

A report released by the Census Bureau this month finds Charlotte is host to around 1,300 same-sex households, and more than 350, or a fifth of them, reside in Plaza Midwood and NoDa.

Only Asheville, N.C.’s 28806 zip code comes anywhere close to having as many gay couples, followed by Durham, N.C.’s 27705 zip code in a close third.
Homo Sweet Homo: Plaza Midwood and NoDa are Carolinas’ gayest neighborhoods
Quote:
For Charlotte to join the major big cities, in my opinion it will have to shed some of the bible-belt mentality as it has been the epicenter of that with PTL and the Graham family.
To be completely honest with you, the average person in Charlotte knows very little about Billy Graham and knows even less about PTL. Also, cities such as Boston have had much bigger religious scandals. While on the surface, it might seem as though Charlotte is the buckle of the bible belt. In reality, there are many people here of many different faiths (and of no faith such as myself). Besides, many churches here know better than to run over on their noon finish time when the Panthers are playing at home.

I'll admit that this area is more religious than I'd like it to be. On the other hand, I have to remind myself that DC now has a Bible museum (so clearly, Charlotte isn't alone).

Old 05-31-2018, 08:58 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
No one moves to Charlotte anymore because everyone is moving there

Old 05-31-2018, 10:46 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,068,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
No one moves to Charlotte anymore because everyone is moving there

I love that quote from Yogi Berra.

I think of it often when people complain of traffic (which I am guilty of occasionally). EVERYONE ELSE is the problem...convenient to forget that the traffic you are contributing to is what you are complaining about.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:53 PM

573 posts, read 548,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Charlotte is no Atlanta when it comes to gay friendliness; so let's be clear on that. However, Charlotte Pride's parade is now larger than the city's Thanksgiving Day parade. Also, the two day Charlotte Pride festival takes place in the heart of uptown and it attracts over 130,000 spectators. It is one of the largest Pride events in the South and it's one of Charlotte's largest annual festivals. I'm a regular visitor of Pride Charlotte (as well as other festivals). I'm not alone at all when it comes to heterosexual families who support the event. We all have a friend, sibling, parent, cousin, or child who is gay/lesbian. In my case, it's cousins and one of my grandparents (bisexual grandparent obviously).

Another interesting fact is that Central Charlotte is home to NC and SC's largest same-sex couple zip codes....

Homo Sweet Homo: Plaza Midwood and NoDa are Carolinas’ gayest neighborhoods

To be completely honest with you, the average person in Charlotte knows very little about Billy Graham and knows even less about PTL. Also, cities such as Boston have had much bigger religious scandals. While on the surface, it might seem as though Charlotte is the buckle of the bible belt. In reality, there are many people here of many different faiths (and of no faith such as myself). Besides, many churches here know better than to run over on their noon finish time when the Panthers are playing at home.

I'll admit that this area is more religious than I'd like it to be. On the other hand, I have to remind myself that DC now has a Bible museum (so clearly, Charlotte isn't alone).
In my opinion, it takes a sad, ignorant person to be bothered about people going to church in any city. People forget that this is a free country and nobody is forced to go. I am not a religious person but I respect people that go to church just as I respect all good people. Charlotte is truly a great city getting greater every day. We're not the greatest at anything, but we are getting there maybe. It is a stereotype that northerners have loved to use for decades. It should work its way out of the psyche of those coming here. Las Angeles is the most religious city in the U.S. Tell them. We should all love our freedom and welcome people that wish to live the live they choose as long as it isn't harmful or anti-American. For anyone to say that they would like a place to be religious to a certain degree is mind blowing and hard to fathom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte