U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 07:18 AM

3,798 posts, read 3,302,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Is it not demand? Austin, Nashville, Seattle, Dallas, Houston, etc are all experiencing development of all kinds. Better question is what your obsession with Charlotte and growth?

Demand has nothing to do with it. Cities build buildings so they looks biggerz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:19 AM

5 posts, read 2,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Aren't YOU a transplant?
No, gladly I'm not. Thanks for asking. My visit confirmed that Charlotte isn't the place for me. I agree with you that the transplants are the ones to thank for changing Charlotte into the likeness of Atlanta.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:18 AM

3,798 posts, read 3,302,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepie5 View Post
No, gladly I'm not. Thanks for asking. My visit confirmed that Charlotte isn't the place for me. I agree with you that the transplants are the ones to thank for changing Charlotte into the likeness of Atlanta.
Opinions on here are entertaining. Because a lot of them are contradictory. I’m not picking on you or anything. I’m just amazed at how some comments are night and day. On one hand Charlotte is a place where everyone is church going folk from sugaw creek, on the other hand CLT is a city exploding from transplants from Yankeedom and their doodling ways...

(For those who don’t know. Sugaw Creek is one of the oldest places in Charlotte. Now
Known as sugar creek.)

Old 06-04-2018, 11:26 AM

29,919 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
But NYC has never shined as much as now, it's the only Northern city still growing, it's cleaner, greener, & more flush with cash than ever in its history.
Not true. Philadelphia and Boston are also growing for starters.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:41 AM

3,467 posts, read 3,149,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Demand has nothing to do with it. Cities build buildings so they looks biggerz.
Rarely does anyone build sizeable buildings or developments on speculation, not just because they look bigger. It has everything to do with the supply and demand model. I'm sure many cities want to "look" bigger but you can't build just for the hell of it.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:51 AM

3,467 posts, read 3,149,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiepie5 View Post
But it's a catch-22. If a city is experiencing slow or moderate growth, then employment opportunities will reflect that growth. Say you relocated to a city experiencing slow growth, then all of sudden decided to change careers, etc but wanted to remain in that city. It's going to be even more difficult to find a job even with transferable skillsets.

There is no utopia or "better" place. My best advice is to stop over-analyzing, buckle down and get to work on your goals/objectives regardless of location. If you consume your time with that, everything else will work out. Who gives a rats ass if Charlotte looks like Atlanta, etc. Get on it, times a wasting. No matter where you end up, sooner or later you gotta put the work in....Charlotte and Atlanta are excellent places to do it.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:54 PM

570 posts, read 544,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
Canít even stand visiting NYC.

You're obviously in a small minority.

The most visited cities in the US in 2017 - INSIDER

https://travel.usnews.com/rankings/best-usa-vacations/

Old 06-04-2018, 01:35 PM

2,275 posts, read 2,250,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Rarely does anyone build sizeable buildings or developments on speculation, not just because they look bigger. It has everything to do with the supply and demand model. I'm sure many cities want to "look" bigger but you can't build just for the hell of it.
Hugh McColl is responsible for ushering in much taller building heights to a medium (medium-small back then) sized metro area.

I can't think of any other city with 60 story towers and 2.5 million people.

For cities not restricted by natural barriers or with prohibitively expensive land, tall buildings are purely someone's choice.

This forum has thousands and thousands of posts which are obviously people's subjective opinions, and for any of you to deny Charlotte fans are rampantly touting Charlotte's big-citiness over in threads for smaller cities (Raleigh) and larger cities (Atlanta).

So to say that Charlotte's building heights and development speed and trophy landmarks is solely born out of pragmatic necessity is hilarious!

Old 06-04-2018, 01:52 PM

246 posts, read 123,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

This forum has thousands and thousands of posts which are obviously people's subjective opinions, and for any of you to deny Charlotte fans are rampantly touting Charlotte's big-citiness over in threads for smaller cities (Raleigh) and larger cities (Atlanta).

I don't know if this is supposed to be a question or just an incomplete sentence. I am interested, so if possible, please clarify your point. I can't figure it out.

Thanks

Old 06-04-2018, 01:56 PM

537 posts, read 552,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
You're obviously in a small minority.
Iím ok with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or