U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 03:08 PM

570 posts, read 544,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
I agree. I also lived in a mega city and had no car. If I needed one for a special trip or a weekend get away, I rented one which was usually a pain in the neck. I had to depend on the underground or a bus which were both nightmares during rush hours. Transportation was not always dependable due to strikes, etc. I do not miss the hassles of depending on local transportation.

I now live in Charlotte and have found a new freedom in owning a car. I enjoy the option of living in close or in the suburbs as transportation is always available via my wonderful car. I have the freedom to go when I wish, where I wish and without a schedules if I wish.

Charlotte is large enough where one can live in a community without a car as I previously did at a much lower cost or live in an apartment or condo in uptown and still find hassle free parking or very inexpensive parking in comparison. As you said, "different strokes for different folks." Some people just refuse or are unable to change their routines and make a change. For me, I'll opt for my own transportation.
Hmm. For me it's about options. I lived in the DC area, had a car, but found that I was using it so little that on the rare occasions I might use it, the battery would be dead. So finally, I just go rid of the car. I would walk to a metro station and get most places I needed, I could walk to my office, I could walk to the grocery store, the drug store, to Costco, to numerous restaurants and all types of other stores. And if, for some reason, I had to go somewhere not walkable or accessible by Metro, I had a Zipcar membership. Also, cabs in DC are cheap. The only time I really needed a car was trips to NC to visit family. And I could walk from my home to a nearby car rental agency. Urban areas like that offer options, not limitations. Maybe not so much in Manhattan, but certainly in most other large, urbanized cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
When ATL was 2.5 million in the mid 1980s, the ATL Constitution referred to Atl as major city all of the time. It was the same size CLT is today.
Yep, and I remember my mom at least once taking a trip to Atlanta in the '80s to experience "the big city." Now that even though Charlotte is the same size Atlanta was then, Atlanta is still the big city, and Charlotte is still the lesser city. It's all relative, I guess. The only way Charlotte will ever be considered a major city in the South is if Atlanta stops growing.

Atlanta in 1988 vs. Charlotte today:
Attached Thumbnails
Charlotte is the 3rd fastest growing city in the nation-atlanta-1988.jpg   Charlotte is the 3rd fastest growing city in the nation-charlotte-skyline-today2.jpg  

Last edited by brichard; 06-07-2018 at 03:27 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 03:20 PM

307 posts, read 160,603 times
Everyone has their viewpoint. Back when I traveled frequently to ATL I really enjoyed ATL. CLT was much smaller then. I thought ATL was great back then. But looking back now I see ATL deficiencies .

Even today ATL does not have an overwhelming amount of things to do for a metro of 5.7 million. It has one very good museum.... High Museum
Of Art. Everything else is mediocre.

Also ATL and CLT are not very dense. But the fact that people in ATL and CLT have a choice of suburban or more urban is a positive. And ATL has basically the same freeway and subway systems that it did in the 1980s.

It has added the GA 400 and a couple spurs and a few short freeways. But it is not a surprise why ATL has gridlock. So nobody that lives in ATL should be critical of CLT. CLT still
Has an opportunity to correct some of the mistakes that ATl has made.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:24 PM

No CLT will someday be considered a major city but not the major city in the South.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
No CLT will someday be considered a major city but not the major city in the South.
But the point is, 30 some years ago when Atlanta was the same size Charlotte is now, it was already considered a major city. I think as cities keep growing, the definition of major city changes.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:27 AM

246 posts, read 124,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
But the point is, 30 some years ago when Atlanta was the same size Charlotte is now, it was already considered a major city. I think as cities keep growing, the definition of major city changes.
I agree. I remember when I was a young child, places like Louisville, Cincinnati, Portland, Indianapolis, Memphis, and New Orleans were much larger cities and we weren't even in their league. Now the Charlotte area has bypassed these places in population. Since Charlotte is the 12th largest city and 22nd largest metro., I can only consider that Charlotte is certainly a major city, just not as major as some others. With only two large metros outpacing us, I can't help but believe that we will soon be a few more steps up on that latter. We are already neck and neck with places like Baltimore and Denver. Quite an accomplishment.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:17 AM

3,818 posts, read 3,314,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
Yep, and I remember my mom at least once taking a trip to Atlanta in the '80s to experience "the big city." Now that even though Charlotte is the same size Atlanta was then, Atlanta is still the big city, and Charlotte is still the lesser city. It's all relative, I guess. The only way Charlotte will ever be considered a major city in the South is if Atlanta stops growing.

Atlanta in 1988 vs. Charlotte today:
That’s not Charlotte today that’s Charlotte a decade ago

Old 06-08-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur McAlister View Post
I agree. I remember when I was a young child, places like Louisville, Cincinnati, Portland, Indianapolis, Memphis, and New Orleans were much larger cities and we weren't even in their league. Now the Charlotte area has bypassed these places in population. Since Charlotte is the 12th largest city and 22nd largest metro., I can only consider that Charlotte is certainly a major city, just not as major as some others. With only two large metros outpacing us, I can't help but believe that we will soon be a few more steps up on that latter. We are already neck and neck with places like Baltimore and Denver. Quite an accomplishment.
Yes, but I think Charlotte's proximity to Atlanta will continue the perception that it's a second-tier city, even as it keeps surpassing these other cities. It's a weird thing to me. When I think of how my mother used to make those five-hour trips to Atlanta, and now Charlotte is as big as Atlanta was back then, and it's only an hour away from where my mother lives, but she doesn't travel to Charlotte.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Thatís not Charlotte today thatís Charlotte a decade ago
Well there you go! Charlotte a decade ago looked every bit the city that Atlanta was in 1988.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:33 PM

By the way, Architect said that no city the size of CLT has a 60 story building. His favorite city , ATL, built a 72 story hotel when ATL was smaller than CLT. That was the tallest hotel in the world when completed. ATL had a population of about 1.5 million people.

Architect knows nothing of the history of ATL . ATL is the city that has proclaimed to be the big city before it was. ATL is the city that built a 72 story hotel so it could be the tallest in the world. ATL. Is the city that will not build a second airport cause it will lose its status as being the world’s busiest airport.

ATL is the city that went after and got all 4 major league sports ( baseball, football, basketball and hockey) in the mid to late 1970s when it was a population of 1.5 million. ATL did not reach 2 million until the 1980 census. So if someone wants to talk about a city trying to look big city before it’s time then that person should look squarely at ATL.

But ATL has reached major city status now so all is forgotten. I want to make this clear. CLT has never had the appetite for boasting and proclaiming to be big city like ATL.

I remember in the 1980s, in the ATL Constitution, ATL and Washington got into a pissing contest in their respective papers about which city was the largest, had most downtown workers etc. CLT would never do this.

I have said it once and I will say it again. The truth is not something that many people are interested in telling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or