Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 01:58 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Rarely does anyone build sizeable buildings or developments on speculation, not just because they look bigger. It has everything to do with the supply and demand model. I'm sure many cities want to "look" bigger but you can't build just for the hell of it.

Lol. I know. I was being sarcastic. Mocking people’s views that buildings are built for any reason but demand.

While it makes for cute headlines of a new tallest... BofA did need a 60 floor tower.

They literally have 12 buildings uptown or more. They will anchor another new large office tower being built, 1BAC was built a few years ago, they took up more space in 525 recently.... when I interned with BofA in Corp. Center, they said space was their biggest issue we dealt with and teams had to be split with managers fighting over space. They still don’t have enough space. I have BofA friends all in GT&O who work in: Independence Tower, Wake Forest building, Corp. , 1BAC, BofA Plaza, 5/3 Center, Gateway, 525 and Transamerica. And a lot of times they have their meetings in Hearst because there wasn’t enough available conference rooms ever. And that’s just friends I have....

People assume to much about a city they’re not too familiar with. To think BofA or people in general build buildings for the lolz.... it’s not how it works.

BofA’s 60 floor tower is by farrrr not enough for their needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 02:32 PM

571 posts, read 714,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Hugh McColl is responsible for ushering in much taller building heights to a medium (medium-small back then) sized metro area.

I can't think of any other city with 60 story towers and 2.5 million people.

For cities not restricted by natural barriers or with prohibitively expensive land, tall buildings are purely someone's choice.

This forum has thousands and thousands of posts which are obviously people's subjective opinions, and for any of you to deny Charlotte fans are rampantly touting Charlotte's big-citiness over in threads for smaller cities (Raleigh) and larger cities (Atlanta).

So to say that Charlotte's building heights and development speed and trophy landmarks is solely born out of pragmatic necessity is hilarious!
While I find it somewhat amusing how people here jump up and down about big (and often soulless) skyscrapers, and I agree with you that in Charlotte they are, to a large extent, trophies or an attempt at status, I'm perfectly fine with these bigger and taller buildings to the extent they slow down sprawl, which I (and the environment) loathe. Please, Charlotte, keep building them tall.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:55 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Hugh McColl is responsible for ushering in much taller building heights to a medium (medium-small back then) sized metro area.

For cities not restricted by natural barriers or with prohibitively expensive land, tall buildings are purely someone's choice.

This forum has thousands and thousands of posts which are obviously people's subjective opinions, and for any of you to deny Charlotte fans are rampantly touting Charlotte's big-citiness over in threads for smaller cities (Raleigh) and larger cities (Atlanta).

So to say that Charlotte's building heights and development speed and trophy landmarks is solely born out of pragmatic necessity is hilarious!
Ever heard of Austin? https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...high-rise.html

But otherwise you have a point as banks in particular love building trophy towers.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:00 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
New York State & surrounding states suffer from people wanting better weather down South and high tax burden on waning population to keep schools, roads, etc, functional.

But NYC has never shined as much as now, it's the only Northern city still growing, it's cleaner, greener, & more flush with cash than ever in its history.

I know, I arrived in 1999 just after Guilanni has cleaned up Times Square's seediness, which started a boom period with a new, Disney park-safety with low crime, businesses worldwide wanted their HQ back in Manhattan, and Bloomberg ushered in developers that replaced almost half of Manhattan with new condos and rentals.

Now Manhattan is 100% litter free, you can almost eat off the sidewalks. Crime is less than 1/2 of NC's.

After 10 years and now in my 40s, I returned to the easier, relaxed pace of Atlanta.

And I understand that you are stating that Charlotte now doesn't want to erase any more history, and that's good, but your comparison to NYC implies that it had a choice, which it didn't.

From immigrants, people flocking to Manhattan to work in factories, that small island became crowded for survival, which was hard with the disease, shantytowns, horse manure covering the streets, etc.

Every sq. inch of that city has a value to everyone around the world. It is maximized to turn away fewer people.

NYC is larger than life in attracting the creatives, the go-getters from every state and around the world who aren't afraid of anything. They're all on the same page...strive for the best, biggest, the highest goals "what else is there?:" I miss that environment.

Where else can you live with the world's most influential people and 8.5 million others ALL WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE?

It's such a unique environment, a lot of local, small-town aspects, literally rubbing elbows with others all day long, with every type, caliber, genious, deadbeat, imaginable.

That exposure to all kinds, fosters collaboration, invention, style, residents of NYC are creating, deciding tomorrow's trends, and the city is like a spinning top with so much momentum built up starting 100 years ago, that every aspect of life and people is 10-15 years ahead of the rest of the country.

The average rent for a studio apt. in Manhattan is around $3,800 a month because the much of the world wants to live there, and the price of everything is just a function of who gets the privilege.

NYC planted 1 million trees in recent years and is about 30% tree canopy which far surpasses the world's other dense cities. Outdoor spaces & connections with nature have been the main focus for the last 10 years now, tearing down any space that's too much a concrete jungle.

Constructing buildings and the amount of development doesn't give a city its worth.

Charlotte needs to relax a little with that obsession

ren
Since the late 1980's, City Hall has given Manhattan the white glove treatment, and I wasn't referring to Manhattan in my post.

Staten Island (Richmond County) was the fastest growing County in NY in the 1990's. Recently, Queens County has seen a lot of "tear downs" and rebuilds. When land in NYC is repurposed, unless it's an upscale project, it's often done in a bad way. Repurposing land in a "bad way" negates the benefits of living in the City, to the extent that that the native population leaves.

How I applied NYC's example to Charlotte:

Land across Charlotte is being repurposed for higher density projects, but the infrastructure largely remains the same. Many higher density projects going up are multipurpose, yet the idea that people are going to live and work in a certain area (which will mitigate traffic concerns) is silly, as the job market is very competitive, and people will work where work is available.

As traffic increases, travel time cuts into recreation time, thus people get more stressed, and civility goes out the window.

The OP's post expressed a desire that Charlotte not become Atlanta, and I agree. I hated working in Manhattan (for a short stint), and while Atlanta doesn't feel like Manhattan, it does very much feel like NY - including traffic jams on off hours - and if I wanted to live in NY, I would've stayed in NY .

Lots of transplants left their former home with the promise of becoming a part of Charlotte's social fabric, which, up until recently, embraced Southern hospitality. Charlotte's still a very good place to live, and there are many nice folks in Charlotte, but some of her past virtues have diminished.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:09 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Lol. I know. I was being sarcastic. Mocking people’s views that buildings are built for any reason but demand.

While it makes for cute headlines of a new tallest... BofA did need a 60 floor tower.

They literally have 12 buildings uptown or more. They will anchor another new large office tower being built, 1BAC was built a few years ago, they took up more space in 525 recently.... when I interned with BofA in Corp. Center, they said space was their biggest issue we dealt with and teams had to be split with managers fighting over space. They still don’t have enough space. I have BofA friends all in GT&O who work in: Independence Tower, Wake Forest building, Corp. , 1BAC, BofA Plaza, 5/3 Center, Gateway, 525 and Transamerica. And a lot of times they have their meetings in Hearst because there wasn’t enough available conference rooms ever. And that’s just friends I have....

People assume to much about a city they’re not too familiar with. To think BofA or people in general build buildings for the lolz.... it’s not how it works.

BofA’s 60 floor tower is by farrrr not enough for their needs.
Gotcha.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:27 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:

You made the choice to move from Rawleigh to larger cities and now think you're something other than a Rawleigh country bumpkin. I guess it's ok for country Charlotte to pursue greater heights and sort of grow into it a much larger city based on a vision/plan (mass transportation, etc). Don't hate Charlotte for wanting to be something other than a sleepy southern town. Still, the supply demand model is at the core of development whether you build six 10 story buildings downtown, a 60 story building or a massive development in suburbia on 30 acres. Evidently that country bumpkin (McColl) was savvy enough to outsmart those big city slickers no matter how it's framed. I think it's something worth boasting about given the odds against it happening....see, he didn't have to run to the big city (with new address) to make him feel important, he just did the damn thing from Tryon St.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:12 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
I was coming to this thread to see what was going in Charlotte, but here we go again. Another Charlotte vs. Atlanta comparison. For the love of God, spare of us all. I think the two cities should work together, especially with a high speed transit link both cities, and others down the I-85 corridor.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Who wants to be like Atlanta? Aim higher. At least covet DC, Minneapolis, Austin, Seattle, or Denver, if you must seek to emulate anywhere.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:00 PM

475 posts, read 684,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Who wants to be like Atlanta? Aim higher. At least covet DC, Minneapolis, Austin, Seattle, or Denver, if you must seek to emulate anywhere.

Probably some of those on these forums who throw parties over metro population numbers and often happily ponder the possibility of heavy rail, SuperBowls, a medical school, multiple skyscraper districts, Olympics, higher positioning on 'world cities' lists, etc., for their respective cities - - - though I can't think of any examples of such places/posters.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:13 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
Probably some of those on these forums who throw parties over metro population numbers and often happily ponder the possibility of heavy rail, SuperBowls, a medical school, multiple skyscraper districts, Olympics, higher positioning on 'world cities' lists, etc., for their respective cities - - - though I can't think of any examples of such places/posters.

That’s sad those posters have such low aspirations to be a giant sprawling suburb. But to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte