U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 09:25 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,219,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
That will all be found here and some... I moved here from Naples, Fl in July of last year.

Charlotte is on the list as one of Americas deadliest cities. I've personally been broken into twice since moving here (live in a supposed safe community and in an HOA).. was in the parking lot around Christmas when a drive by happen... was in a store a few days before someone came in and shot a 19 year old girl in the head "just because".. had someone stabbed in the stomach at the food store we shop at. To name a few issues. I personally don't see Charlotte as "family friendly" from a safety perspective. Perhaps it was because I came from a MUCH safer place. Even living in New England I didn't see the crime I do here.

Housing prices are going up FAST. Rentals are expensive, thats saying something from someone who came from one of the most expensive counties in Fla. Most of the rentals rival prices there. My current landlord told us 3 months before our lease was even up that the price will be going up $100 a month. It seems to be the norm. Charlotte is in a housing crisis right now.. Not enough inventory and so expect to pay well above asking for a listing. We had some come in $10,000 over asking off the bat while we home searched.

We were going to buy a house here but found to really get anything in a decent and safe neighborhood not under the direct flight path of Charlotte Douglass (thats most of the western side of Charlotte and is a huge issue. A lot of places are petitioning to have the paths changed because its so bad) and outside the 485 loop (most of the inside is gross as far as housing/neighborhoods go) we needed at least $250,000 and we weren't willing to drop that on a first home in a city we are luke warm about. We also found prices are decieving. We saw listings for what looked like beautiful houses for even as low as $175,000 (we had a budget up to $200,000) and we'd go look at it and the neighbor would be a trailer. Saw it happen more than once. Evidently its common here to build new next to trailer parks and such. Never seen that before.

Traffic lol.... just wait.. Ive been to Tampa many times.. it has NOTHING on traffic compared to Charlotte.. you're gonna wish for Tampa traffic.. it can sometimes take my husband an hour and a half to go 7 miles here getting to work.. That's not highway roads, rain or snow either.. add any one of those factors and tack on more time.Huntersville/Cornelius/Concord/Davidson area has horrible traffic during rush hour. Some of the worst. Not to mention their cancer cluster issues going on right now that they've found is spreading and now include Mooresville, which now has a high thyroid cancer issue. They think the north end of Charlotte may have been contaminated with coal ash. They've found radiation in the drinking water up there.

Rude people are everywhere. Even here..... I found people pushy with religion here and seem offended when you tell them you're not. I was even told to 'get right" with people being religious here and "find myself a good church"...

School systems.. ones that are even remotely good are few and far between. Teachers are paid next to nothing. Its so bad the teachers went on strike last week and closed the schools down to go rally at the capital for higher pay... So theres that. We homeschool our daughter.. Wouldn't dare send her to a school here. My sister sent her daughter this year to school here and will be homeschooling next year..

Hope you also like religion in public schools as they will soon enough be required to hang plaques saying "In God We Trust" in the schools... thats right.. I said required.. all stuff you can simply google..

Let me correct her mistakes....

I live in Concord and commute to/from Uptown everyday (she's never lived in any of the areas she mentions above and until recently was a SAHM). My commute in the afternoon leaving the parking garage on 6th street to my home around the Concord Mills area is about 45 minutes or so. That's because while people usually leave for work anywhere from 7-9am they tend to all leave around 5-5:30pm in the afternoons. Also I77 goes from 4 lanes down to 3 and then I believe down to 2 (not including all the construction for the toll lanes from exit 11 on up to exit 33 in the Huntersville/Cornelius area).

The cancer cluster is 18 people out of 75K and while it's a concern, they cannot find anything in the people that have it to figure out the cause. There's also the same thing happening near Auburn University in Alabama. It's not new that it "spread" to Mooresville.

Teachers did not go on strike. They asked for the day off ( 600 + in my school district) so they made it a teacher work day and the teacher's went to Raleigh. That's the case in all of the districts around here.

The bill for the plaques was just introduced and hasn't been voted on so not sure where she's getting "that it will soon enough be required".

OP- If you have any other questions please don't ask Sweetbottoms. Please ask those of us that have actual experience with the things in and around CLT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 09:27 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,169,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Father View Post
I see. So “retiring” in your 30’s to stay home and post on a forum all day was more important than helping to provide your family a home in a safe area?

actually we WERE told we were in a good area... we even used a realtor.... being as how I have NEVER lived in this area or state and could only go off of stats and recommendations by a professional I didn't know Steele Creek had a spike in crime rate starting the month after we moved here...If only I could see the future! . That being said when we talked to the PD prior to our move we were told the neighborhood we chose was one of the safest in the area.. so again you have NO IDEA what you are talking about..

As far as posting... i post once or twice every two weeks or so when my child goes to camp and I have actual time to myself. So lets repeat.. you have NO IDEA what you are talking about... as far as my income goes.. don't worry about me needing to contribute.. thats a non issue... I do my part and my husband will make over 6 figures.. I don't need you thinking I'm living in some poor run down shack inside the loop.. its not even close to the facts..

Old 05-30-2018, 09:31 AM

636 posts, read 238,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeburke86 View Post
Hi everyone,

My long term boyfriend and I are planning on moving to North Carolina within the next year or so. We currently live in Palm Harbor, FL and are done with living in the Tampa Bay area. Between the low wages, terrible traffic and infrastructure, high crime, high cost of living, the pathetic school systems, rude people, we are ready to leave FL. Oh, and the godawful humidity and heat for 3/4 out of the year and it floods anytime it rains heavily in Tampa. We went up to my aunt and uncles house in Davidson in Sept 2017 to evacuate Hurricane Irma and we fell in love with NC.
I grew up in Tampa and 100% agree about the issues in bold. I've lived in multiple states since then (GA, IA, IL, TN, and now NC) and would gladly live in any of those again over FL. You may get some of those problems in NC, but it's not nearly as bad IMO. That being said, you'll still have some of the other issues in the NC cities:

-Infrastructure: the highway infrastructure is awesome here in Greensboro for the most part and they're finishing a loop freeway to help the north side of town by 2022. Traffic overall is easy here. RDU and CLT are going to give you more problems, but I don't have direct experience daily-commuting in either or those. However, don't expect strong public transit anywhere in NC anytime soon.
-Crime: this happens to varying degrees in every city out there. Do your due diligence and research to pick the right neighborhood.
-Public Schools: wasn't a consideration for us; we don't plan on having kids
-Flooding: this can still happen here, so just try to research flood prone areas.

Quote:
A little about us...I work at a community college in Accounts Receivable and my boyfriend works in IT as a Systems Engineer. We want to start a family soon so we would like to be in a safe area where there are good schools. We're a simple couple; we enjoy going out to eat, movies, parks, wineries, concerts, and much more. House wise we are looking under the $240k, at least 1800sq ft with 3-4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, a basement (optional), and move in ready. We also want a single family house only with a garage or a driveway since we currently live in a townhouse. We're fine with commuting as long as its not over an hour drive to get to and from work. Which cities and it's surrounding areas would be best for our lifestyles? We are considering Charlotte, Raleigh, or Greensboro.

I appreciate anyone's information and input. Thank you!
As already mentioned, the housing market will be a lot easier on your budget in Greensboro or Winston-Salem. However, CLT or RDU are going to have more entertainment options (bigger name concerts especially). My girlfriend and I live in Greensboro and love it; the NW quadrant of the city is very nice and could be a good fit for you guys. We've visited the other cities you listed, and I'd think they're also great for what you're looking for.

Old 05-30-2018, 09:51 AM

3,552 posts, read 6,169,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Let me correct her mistakes....

I live in Concord and commute to/from Uptown everyday (she's never lived in any of the areas she mentions above and until recently was a SAHM). My commute in the afternoon leaving the parking garage on 6th street to my home around the Concord Mills area is about 45 minutes or so. That's because while people usually leave for work anywhere from 7-9am they tend to all leave around 5-5:30pm in the afternoons. Also I77 goes from 4 lanes down to 3 and then I believe down to 2 (not including all the construction for the toll lanes from exit 11 on up to exit 33 in the Huntersville/Cornelius area).

The cancer cluster is 18 people out of 75K and while it's a concern, they cannot find anything in the people that have it to figure out the cause. There's also the same thing happening near Auburn University in Alabama. It's not new that it "spread" to Mooresville.

Teachers did not go on strike. They asked for the day off ( 600 + in my school district) so they made it a teacher work day and the teacher's went to Raleigh. That's the case in all of the districts around here.

The bill for the plaques was just introduced and hasn't been voted on so not sure where she's getting "that it will soon enough be required".

OP- If you have any other questions please don't ask Sweetbottoms. Please ask those of us that have actual experience with the things in and around CLT.

I've been a stay at home mom for nearly 9 years lol... recently?? Again talking about things you know nothing about...

Teachers ASKED for the day off because if they didn't get it they weren't coming in.. its essentially a strike with permission... its not unknown they have some of the lowest pay around. NC schools slipped this year. It was rated a C- nationwide in education and its ranked 40th in the nation. This is a continued downward trend for NC from when it was ranked 19th in 2011... in case I may be lying about that also... Florida ranked 29th and has moved up from last year

Education Week ranks North Caroilna 40th in public education | News & Observer

My sister and her husband both drove to Huntersville for work from Steele Creek. Their commute was sometimes 2 hours depending on traffic and weather... I do not have to live somewhere to know about things.. again my husband has been stuck in traffic for over an hour and he works 7 miles on the dot from our house..

Again a cancer cluster is a cancer cluster and its spreading and they don't know what is causing it. People there have died from it. The entire area up there has confirmed radiation in the ground water of Lake Norman.. thats not just some small issue.

Lets be honest about the In God we Trust.. NC is the bible belt.. it has little desire to become progressive. If it did it would be putting more value on education and less on stupid bills about religion and bathrooms. This is clear by the bills it proposes. I believe they had something about prayer in school a few years ago It SHOULD be modeling this educational systems after places like the New England who have consistently come in the top 5 for schooling for probably decades. People would rather pray the problems away here.

Why just this am while watching the news the cast asked for prayers TWICE while reporting on first the evacuations due a mudslide and for a missing child.. never in my life have a I seen this except for here.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 05-30-2018 at 10:01 AM..

Old 05-30-2018, 10:11 AM

7,185 posts, read 11,226,137 times
As much as I look forward to leaving the Charlotte area after I retire, it is a fine place to live and raise a family. I'm sure there are spots that aren't so nice, but holy cow, there have been some pretty broad strokes of the brush in this thread.

Good luck in your search!

Old 05-30-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I've been a stay at home mom for nearly 9 years lol... recently?? Again talking about things you know nothing about...

Teachers ASKED for the day off because if they didn't get it they weren't coming in.. its essentially a strike with permission... its not unknown they have some of the lowest pay around. NC schools slipped this year. It was rated a C- nationwide in education and its ranked 40th in the nation. This is a continued downward trend for NC from when it was ranked 19th in 2011... in case I may be lying about that also... Florida ranked 29th and has moved up from last year

Education Week ranks North Caroilna 40th in public education | News & Observer

My sister and her husband both drove to Huntersville for work from Steele Creek. Their commute was sometimes 2 hours depending on traffic and weather... I do not have to live somewhere to know about things.. again my husband has been stuck in traffic for over an hour and he works 7 miles on the dot from our house..

Again a cancer cluster is a cancer cluster and its spreading and they don't know what is causing it. People there have died from it. The entire area up there has confirmed radiation in the ground water of Lake Norman.. thats not just some small issue.

Lets be honest about the In God we Trust.. NC is the bible belt.. it has little desire to become progressive. If it did it would be putting more value on education and less on stupid bills about religion and bathrooms. This is clear by the bills it proposes. I believe they had something about prayer in school a few years ago It SHOULD be modeling this educational systems after places like the New England who have consistently come in the top 5 for schooling for probably decades. People would rather pray the problems away here.

Why just this am while watching the news the cast asked for prayers TWICE while reporting on first the evacuations due a mudslide and for a missing child.. never in my life have a I seen this except for here.
Didn't you start a thread within the last month or so asking about working in SC and living in NC and taxes? Maybe it's part time?

The article you linked above talking about rankings......you failed to include this tidbit from the article, “The data used for the report are from 2015, so it does not include recent efforts by the North Carolina General Assembly to raise teacher compensation and support programs designed to raise student achievement,” he said. “I suspect that these changes will improve our grade in future editions of Quality Counts.”.

Again, you (as in you personally as your daughter has never attended a school in NC and didn't you also homeschool in FL as well) have zero knowledge of our schools. I do have personal experience and so do many of the other posters here.

Yes, it's the bible belt but I've lived here for 12 years now. I have had people ask about what church my family attended but that was when we first moved here. I haven't been asked in years and maybe it's because my neighborhood is full of transplants. Many of them do attend church but it's not something we discuss. My next door neighbor goes to church each week and we are great friends. She doesn't throw it in my face and I don't throw it in her's that sleep in on Sunday's.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:35 PM

718 posts, read 728,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Another sky is falling post from scarybottoms. OP, take what they say with a grain of salt.
Yeah, although i try to respect everyone's opinion.... Sweetbottoms, you are well known for your hate posts about Charlotte. Most are gross exaggerations.

I lived in Charlotte for over 6 years and have been in Tampa for almost a year and a half... I think there will be a lot of similarities in regards to lower wages, traffic, crime, housing etc. Most of the SE is that way. We actually live in the Palm Harbor/East Lake area as well so I know what the posted means.... Probably a lot of the same stress my family feels daily. Poor infrastructure causing roadways to back up like crazy. Housing costs going up and up and no sign of slowing. Crime is about the same as everywhere. So rather than focus on the bads about each place I will simply tell you what we feel are the differences between Charlotte and Tampa... and if you are considering other locations in NC, others will have to chime in....

Charlotte will offer season and color changes, more finance careers, and cooler weather in the winter. Other than that and being closer to the mountains.... there are not a lot of differences. Of course there are many different things , but not to many that would change the way you live your day to day life.

Traffic is bad in both places. both are humid (I think Tampa is less humid actually), both have housing markets that are all over the place right now. Both have higher crime and yes Charlotte is ranking poorly lately,

Charlotte is cleaner and prettier in my opinion. People are nicer in Charlotte and you wont deal with the influx of old people and tourists.

Everywhere has its quirks. I will say that I would prefer to Live back in Charlotte but some days I think maybe just a different area f Tampa may be better too. Charlotte can grow very old and boring. Id ask yourself what it is that you are really trying to escape. If it is a financial decision, then consider all options and other cities too. Charlotte wont give you any big breaks financially. They also collect personal property tax on cars, boats, trailers, lawn mowers, campers, ninja juicers and anyting else over $100 LOL. NC also has state income tax, high auto transfer tax, etc. Utility services and internet are very unreliable in the Charlotte area. We always had power with Duke and went out regularly. Weekly for hours at a time or more. Internet was spotty. Verizon seemed to be the best as far as cell service, but in certain neighborhoods it can be spotty too.

I hope you find your path and dont get discouraged by others. Charlotte is beautiful, friendly, fun to a point. Clean and simple. Check out homes in the Cox Mill Cabarrus county school district. 28269, 28027 zips of Charlotte and Concord. Those will be your soccer mom type areas where many families flock and get involved. Winding Walk, Highand Creek, Skybrook, Moss Creek, Chistenbury Chase, Cannon Crossing to name a few.

Good luck

Old 06-05-2018, 11:40 AM

59 posts, read 51,806 times
Whoa....it got crazy on this one!

Since I'm from Tampa, FL and moved to Charlotte 3 years ago...I was going to provide some feedback but it's best that I just offer for you to DM me and I will be happy to answer questions from my perspective. LOL

Old 06-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysgreatful View Post
Whoa....it got crazy on this one!

Since I'm from Tampa, FL and moved to Charlotte 3 years ago...I was going to provide some feedback but it's best that I just offer for you to DM me and I will be happy to answer questions from my perspective. LOL

Balanced posts are always welcome. Even posts that aren't kind but at least have real life experience with all the things you don't like. Sweetbottoms is known for her hate posts on Charlotte (yet she wanted to buy a house here at one point and has since changed her mind) so she's back on the hate posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or