U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 07:02 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,127,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstriker View Post
Charlotte is a finance career hub center mainly if your into the banking field aligned with business,IT , marketing etc etc I think job wise charlotte is good. You also have decent weather and 4 seasons , its a decent place to raise kids or retire , we have tons of decent colleges. Thats really it honestly no one is going to raise their hand and say there from charlotte even after being here 10 years when ppl ask me i just tell them im from georgia

Doesn't matter, most people outside of the south already have a perception on the region (most times totally erroneous), and Georgia is the center of the cultural south. Even the larger cities are sometimes perceived as larger versions of hickville...I don't see the point, simply state originally from GA but been in Charlotte for 10 years. Basically the state of GA is probably perceived as more hick and backwoods than NC.

I've never relocated anywhere for a city's so-called personality, culture or soul. I need a good job and a few things to do outside of work then stay involved in community, etc...there's plenty enough to do in Charlotte and surrounding area, a damn plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:41 AM

479 posts, read 245,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Doesn't matter, most people outside of the south already have a perception on the region (most times totally erroneous), and Georgia is the center of the cultural south. Even the larger cities are sometimes perceived as larger versions of hickville...I don't see the point, simply state originally from GA but been in Charlotte for 10 years. Basically the state of GA is probably perceived as more hick and backwoods than NC.

I've never relocated anywhere for a city's so-called personality, culture or soul. I need a good job and a few things to do outside of work then stay involved in community, etc...there's plenty enough to do in Charlotte and surrounding area, a damn plenty.
Maybe the state of GA as a whole, but when I moved to the Atlanta metro from Raleigh/Durham, I would tell people I am from NC and they assumed I was country. I would then tell them, no, I am from the Raleigh-Durham area of NC and even then many here have a "country/ hick" view of Raleigh. I guess it really is subjective, if the persons are familiar with either area.

Old 05-30-2018, 02:18 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,127,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
Maybe the state of GA as a whole, but when I moved to the Atlanta metro from Raleigh/Durham, I would tell people I am from NC and they assumed I was country. I would then tell them, no, I am from the Raleigh-Durham area of NC and even then many here have a "country/ hick" view of Raleigh. I guess it really is subjective, if the persons are familiar with either area.
Of course, people from NYC label DC country (perspective). I specifically mentioned the state, not Atlanta, although those of know Atlanta is really a larger version of Charlotte, Raleigh, etc with larger pockets of urbanism, sprawled and filled with transplants. I like Atlanta, one of my favorite cities...big, southern and diverse. Although RDU is smaller, spread out, etc and Charlotte is smaller...it's all the South no matter how many of those sophisticated folk relocate hur.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:48 AM

479 posts, read 245,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Of course, people from NYC label DC country (perspective). I specifically mentioned the state, not Atlanta, although those of know Atlanta is really a larger version of Charlotte, Raleigh, etc with larger pockets of urbanism, sprawled and filled with transplants. I like Atlanta, one of my favorite cities...big, southern and diverse. Although RDU is smaller, spread out, etc and Charlotte is smaller...it's all the South no matter how many of those sophisticated folk relocate hur.
Agreed!

Old 05-31-2018, 12:42 PM

1,391 posts, read 1,863,620 times
Money.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:58 PM

857 posts, read 414,826 times
I dont think a city needs to have an identity, except a description, queen city, whatever that means from long ago. Outsiders see it as a banker city. Its also in the south so expect southern things. No matter how liberal southerners act they inherently aren't liberal.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:39 AM

83 posts, read 53,136 times
I would say Charlotte is fairly family-friendly.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:11 AM

697 posts, read 1,149,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Nascar and Jesus..... that's the vibe I get.. I see an abundance of both.. We were at Carowinds (the theme park) this weekend and I have never seen so many Jesus shirts in my life.. Large groups of churches on big field trips. I also see crosses taped to lamp posts and in empty fields. Along with lots of Jesus signs in people yards, on bumper stickers, t-shirts, decals etc. Just now on the news the asked people to "pray" for people in a county north of us due to flooding. A news cast asking for prayers.. its common and I see/hear it all the time.. It feels taxing sometimes when you're not religious yourself.

Our pool guy tried to recruit my daughter to his youth group THREE times.. I told him specifically twice prior we aren't religious. His reply was "a lot of people around here are religious so you better get right with that and find yourself a good church".. ok buddy..
Spot on! When I lived in Charlotte I can't even count how many times I was asked "What is your home church" as a conversation ice-breaker. On the other hand, Sunday morning was a great time to shop at Harris Teeter (local supermarket) - you'd have the store to yourself.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:48 PM

65 posts, read 52,882 times
There's some great balanced posts here OP, nothing much more to add. Like you, have lived and visited many cities, but Charlotte really doesn't have an identity, or character as such in my opinion. I don't think it's really even trying to do so in my 4 years of living here. if you took banking out of the city, it would be interesting to see how that changes. We are a family of 4 and pretty much did everything there is to do within a few months, but it's laid back, i'm a brewery and beer geek and this place is really coming alive in that regard.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:24 PM

246 posts, read 120,316 times
Obviously the identity should be, "Better than the rest" based on the tens of thousands of people that move here every year and the fact that we are the third fastest growing big city in the U.S. and the high satisfaction rate of the newcomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or